IEM Recommendations: Motorcycling!
Jan 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 22
I also highly recommend the ER6i (I've tried many earbuds) - great isolation, nice sound with good bass and they don't protrude so they don't interfere with my helmet (NEXX XR1R) at all.  As far as safety goes, based on many years of riding I have a pretty good idea how I'll eventually crash and earphones are almost certainly not going to be a factor.

Drew

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #18 of 22
Well, I just received my IE8's.  Got them from dakmart for $180 after shipping.  Well, they sound pretty darn good, even just using an ipod and not having burned them in yet.  The problem:  I still can't put my dang helmet on!  They wont stay in.  I use a Shoei RF-1000.  I think I'll have to cut some foam to make it work, but I'd hate to mess things up in there.  My only other options are to buy a flip-face full helmet like the Multitec (and shell out $450 USD...) or not listen to music while I ride.  Neither of those options are acceptable at this time.  I guess I'll have to make some cuts in my foam...

Maybe I should have tried the Ety's?  Too late for that.  At least I got a great deal on the IE8's.

Thanks for all your comments.

May 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #19 of 22
I'm sure you've already figured out the best solution, so i'll tell you what i just got and then you tell me if you found something better.

I ride a 2009 CBR 600 RR with a "short" black Shoei helmet (the bottom of the helmet stops right at the bottom of my ears letting in lots of noisy wind, but allows for greater head turn).

I just bought the Klipshch S4i and they are almost perfect. i wish it had the cord support to more permanently form the cord around my ear because my ears don't hold the cord around it and they fall off under my helmet. that being said, they stay sealed in my ear and are very comfortable. they even stay sealed when i take the helmet off (which doesn't sound like a big deal until you try to take off a tight helmet with apple earbuds that fall out and smash your ears while damaging the earbuds at the same time). they sound great and i can barely hear my custom Leo Vince exhaust system. i'm able to listen to my music at about 25% of the full volume on my iphone4 whereas with my apple ibuds i'd have to have it all the way up, and still couldn't understand half of the music i was listening to.

i got them at Best Buy too, so i knew if i didn't like them i could take them back, just like i did with the Bose MEi2 and the stupid Beats by dre buds (i know, i know...).

i'd really like to get some custom sleeves for these, but i don't really need them, the standard

May 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 22
I bought the IE8s for when i'm on the back of my boyfriends motorcycle... I tell you this, You can get the helmet on, Soon as you try to take it off they IEM's Fall out and get stuck between your head and the helmet i ended up allmost ruining the earphones and cutting myself, You might want to take a look at the Xears 3Ni they seem to fit nice and due to their shape they don't get stuck and the isolation isn't so bad either i mean when he opens up the bike which is a 2010 R1 with baffeless race can on, I can still have them on quite low volume and hear fine, Not to forget to mention the damn wind battering my head on motorways.

Nat

May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
I bought the IE8s for when i'm on the back of my boyfriends motorcycle... I tell you this, You can get the helmet on, Soon as you try to take it off they IEM's Fall out and get stuck between your head and the helmet i ended up allmost ruining the earphones and cutting myself, You might want to take a look at the Xears 3Ni they seem to fit nice and due to their shape they don't get stuck and the isolation isn't so bad either i mean when he opens up the bike which is a 2010 R1 with baffeless race can on, I can still have them on quite low volume and hear fine, Not to forget to mention the damn wind battering my head on motorways.

Nat

Have you tried adjusting the cable slider to your chin? I find them difficult to fall off if the back of your ears are already holding onto them tight

May 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
Have you tried adjusting the cable slider to your chin? I find them difficult to fall off if the back of your ears are already holding onto them tight

Yes, It still happens with the IE8's does not at all with the Xears so i just use those now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back