IEM Recommendations: Motorcycling!
Jan 28, 2011 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Xitomatl

New Head-Fier
Hello audiophiles!

I've never used an IEM before.  I do, however, really like high quality audio.  I've been considering highly the Sennheiser IE 7's.  The best headphones I have ever used are Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, which I own.  I think they sound great connected to my home stereo receiver.  They are, however, the only >$50 headphones I've ever heard before, so I don't know how good it gets.  I'd love to find out!

The main reason I started looking at IEM's is because I ride a motorcycle and I wear a full face helmet.  The little bud things from Apple won't stay in place when I put my helmet on over them, and once the helmet is on, I can't get a finger in there to adjust things.  I need an IEM that is low profile and sticks in there well enough to survive the helmet mounting process.  Also, too much noise attenuation would be bad, as I want to be able to hear traffic around me a little bit.  The IE 7 has that wire-over-the-ear fit that may actually really help with the helmet, and it's low-profile to boot.  The problem is that I'm reading that they are awfully warm and bass heavy.  True?

I like punchy, very capable bass, as I listen to some hip hop and electronic stuff, but I don't want the stand up bass player in a jazz quartet to be dominating.  Maybe you could say I don't want it too warm sounding.  I love crystal clear highs and am willing to hear some hissing and artifacts in lower quality recordings in order to have faithful recreations of the female voice and to pick out all the cymbals, etc.

These will be used with an ipod and a Toshiba laptop almost exclusively.

It would be hard for me to stomach paying more than $150.  I'm on 6.8% student loans for the next 3.5 years.  I found manufacturer refurbished IE 7's for $100 through dakmart, an authorized reseller.  I'm very tempted.

Anyone out there have any good alternatives in my price range?  Especially anyone who has used their IEM's under a motorcycle helmet with good success?

Thanks for reading!

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 22
A good set of earplugs when riding to save the eardrums for music when not riding!

beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 22
Some of the folks I ride with use the Etymotic ER6i plugs...very good noise isolation (usually with triple flanges) and decent sound (price considering...). Another universal fit (but considerably more expensive...) option is the dual driver S plugs ( http://plugup.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=44 ) . You could also try the Q-Jays which are dual driver and about the same size as the ER6i.

There also are a number of custom options available here as well:  http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/westone-cr1.html  I have some custom fit, single driver ear plugs. The isolation/comfort is excellent, but the sound is "thin" at best...definitely not much bang for the buck.    8-(

FWIW, to keep pressure off whatever plugs you are wearing, you may need to trim down the foam in the part of your helmet liner that is immediately outside the ears.

Keep the rubber side down. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 22
Jaman, you bring up a good point.  But what it really makes me think is that I should get the MOST noise attenuation I can so that I can listen at lower volumes :)  

These will actually more use in the library at school than on the bike, but they must fit the bike criteria as well.  So, I do want them to sound really good.  And definitely be less than $200. 

Thanks for your responses!  So far, I'm still thinking refurb IE-7

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 22
I was in the same boat as you Xito.  I was tired of using skullcandy ink'd on my bike.  I stumbled into head-fi.org.  After perusing many of the reviews, I ended up getting Fischer Audio's Eterna IEMs.  I really like them.  Im at a point now where i think i may step up to the $150 range.  Anyhow, I use them on my chopper every day.  The ear stays work well.  I changed the earpiece to memory foam (radio shack).  I dont have alot of experience in IEMs, but for me the Eternas have been awesome. Good base, nice highs.  Not technically balanced.. but really really fun.  Thats the best way i can describe their sound.  Hope this helps

Shaun

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 22
The IE7 have very nice mids but they don't isolate too well so I think it won't suit your needs. The Klipsch custom 3 isolates more and goes for around $100 new on ebay. The cable on the custom 3 is not the greatest.

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 22
Wind/engine/exhaust noise....can't hear anything else anyway.  Almost everything is feel/visual on a bike at speed.  I still fail to see the difference between earphones on a bike and stereos in cars other than the more unforgiving nature of motorcycle accidents.

To the op:  I have used my Senn IE8 on the bike with a full face helmet and it works very well for me.  I use the smallest foam monster tip and it isolates pretty well actually.  However, keep in mind that everyone's ears are shaped differently and mine just happen to be shaped such that I can get a very good seal from my Senns.  Your ear shape may be different.

Someone else mentioned Ety ER6i or Q-Jays.  I haven't tried them, but the Q's and Ety's are on my list of backup earbuds simply because of their small size.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 22
I know a lot of motorcyclists use phones, but I just don't feel comfortable blocking out that much sound and then playing music over it.  (Note that it is actually illegal in some states)

I use NRR 22 earplugs that are specifically designed to attenuate the louder noises while allowing lower sounds through.  At a traffic light I can hear the crunching of pebbles behind me, yet wind is no longer a problem. 

My current favorites: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/hear-plugz.html

These have worked fine for me with both my Rebel 250 (It doesn't get any windier than that) and Ninja 650R (yay windscreen!) under an HJC helmet.  Incidentally, helmets make a WORLD of difference with respect to wind noise.  Those high end Arai and Shoei helmets actually suck for wind since they are made to vent well.  The step down helmets are generally better about noise!

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #12 of 22
Well, as I've been looking around the site I keep seeing people say to newbies "welcome to head fi.... and sorry about your wallet."  That's turning out to be true for me.

basementdweller:  Thanks!  I'm going with the IE8's because of your comment.  I hope you can sleep at night!
tongue_smile.gif
  OK, not just because of your comment, but it's great to hear they work under your helmet, and I'm sure I can find a tip somewhere that will give me a good seal. 

And I totally agree about earphones vs loud car stereos.  No difference.  It may increase the risk factor a bit, but I think it's not by a lot, and the joy of listening to my favorite music with incredible quality while doing my favorite thing more than outweighs the dangers.  Besides, deaf people ride motorcycles, drive cars, cross streets, etc... it just takes a bit more vigilance. 

And Reckless, don't touch my Shoei!  I'll take venting and comfort + Senn IE8's to block the noise and add some sound over a hot, quiet, boring, uncomfortable helmet.  Plus the Shoei vents have valves, so they can be quiet when it isn't hot.  I <3 my Shoei.

Thanks everybody!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 22
I have the Etymotic ER4Ps and they are my favorite IEM (at least while I save for some JH11s...). That said, they *do* stick out of the ear far enough that they would interfere with putting on/taking off a properly fitted, full face helmet.

As for listening/awareness of one's surroundings while riding, I can say that with my custom plugs (no sound), I have never had any issues with impaired awareness. (As another poster correctly noted, the wind, motor and road noise pretty much drown everything out...IMHO, you're risking *serious* hearing damage if you don't wear decent protection of some kind. If you're riding a "naked" bike with aftermarket pipes that goes double.) I will admit that with ER6is and music playing at a moderate level, there were a couple of times when I didn't hear my radar detector going off.  =8-0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back