IEM Question
Oct 22, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
Shure does have a very good soundstage though, I will say.
Why does Shure's website call them High-Energy Tuned Port Drivers on the E4, but then on the E500 says armature?
This is very misleading if indeed the E4 uses an armature.
And what would you say the sound difference is between the e4c and the e4g?
Shure's MSRP on the e4c is $319 while the e4g MSRP is $299.

The reason for that is because Shure R&D this armature driver that produces decent high, mid, and low. They used this tuned port technology similiar to a subwoofer to produce the bass. Shure E4c is using a single driver. On the other hand, the UE super.fi 5 pro uses 2 drivers, 1 for bass and the other is used for the mid and high.

The e4c and e4g sound the same, but they target different market. c as for consumer, and g for the gamer.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
The reason for that is because Shure R&D this armature driver that produces decent high, mid, and low. They used this tuned port technology similiar to a subwoofer to produce the bass. Shure E4c is using a single driver. On the other hand, the UE super.fi 5 pro uses 2 drivers, 1 for bass and the other is used for the mid and high.

The e4c and e4g sound the same, but they target different market. c as for consumer, and g for the gamer.

Do you prefer your UE-10 pro to your E500, and I'm not talking about custom fit here, just strictly sound quality.....
Because if so, then I'm glad I purchased the triple.fi

Thanks

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFireArow
T

BTW, if one wants soundstage I would recommend against IEMs

If soundstage is considered.

UE Super.fi 5 pro is better than Shure e4c in this area. The whole audio image is a whole lot bigger, and to me, this is more close to listening to big headphone or speaker.

The Shure E4c has tiny soundstage, and the sound is kind of in your head kind, but it is also very addictive when listening to live concert because you feel the singer step down and start singing beside your ears.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Do you prefer your UE-10 pro to your E500, and I'm not talking about custom fit here, just strictly sound quality.....
Because if so, then I'm glad I purchased the triple.fi

Thanks

It really depends on my mood. In my opinion, UE10 Pro still out performs Shure E500 in the treble and bass, just like triple.fi 10 pro.

However, some days, I just want to listen to Shure E500 lush mid with a bit of EQ on the high end frequency, and a more subwoofer like bass of Shure E500.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

If soundstage is considered.

UE Super.fi 5 pro is better than Shure e4c in this area. The whole audio image is a whole lot bigger, and to me, this is more close to listening to big headphone or speaker.

The Shure E4c has tiny soundstage, and the sound is kind of in your head kind, but it is also very addictive when listening to live concert because you feel the singer step down and start singing beside your ears.

Yes, and that's what I was referring to, vocally... I am more of a music guy, often without vocals myself, so certainly prefer the super.fi 5 pro for that reason as well. I hope the Triple.Fi have even a wider soundstage. The vocals to me are the least important thing that I hear, which I why I prefer the 1kHz range to be slightly decreased. I want to hear the instruments, and be able to place them well, and I can do that with my Super.fi 5 pro.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

It really depends on my mood. In my opinion, UE10 Pro still out performs Shure E500 in the treble and bass, just like triple.fi 10 pro.

However, some days, I just want to listen to Shure E500 lush mid with a bit of EQ on the high end frequency, and a more subwoofer like bass of Shure E500.

I can't afford both, not now anyway, but wish I could. My next purchase may either be a headphone amp [if the triple.fi's volume lack for me, because the super.fi's dont even with the songs reduced on computer to 80%], or the 80 gig iPod, because as a Lossless listener, I am maxed out on my iPod at about 900 songs [on the 30gig iPod video].

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

The E500, like it's E4c sibling, does have a nicely emphasized midrange, no? Very seductive.

So it looks like it's time for me to get another IEM. I can't seem to find my E500 (may have lost them somewhere) and I'm not really keen on sending my Sensaphonics back to Chicago yet again for replacement (and paying $300 to do it). I guess I'm looking seriously at the triple.fi or the UE-10 Pro.

What I'm looking for is an IEM that will get close to my 010 in terms of transparency, resolution and thus texture. Extension would be nice too. I don't need warmth, I don't need romantic. I don't need bass quantity, though it has to be tight - so I guess I'm looking for a 010/K 1000 in an IEM (though obviously, the soundstaging/imaging strengths of the 010/K 1000 won't be there at all).

I like the fundamental resolution of the Sensaphonics. They're not the most resolving headphone I've owned (actually, they're not even in the top 5) but they're not particularly deficient in this area. Still, it'd be nice to do better.

What do you think, UE-10 Pro? Can you contrast with your SA5k and E500?

Best,

-Jason

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
The E500, like it's E4c sibling, does have a nicely emphasized midrange, no? Very seductive.

So it looks like it's time for me to get another IEM. I can't seem to find my E500 (may have lost them somewhere) and I'm not really keen on sending my Sensaphonics back to Chicago yet again for replacement (and paying $300 to do it). I guess I'm looking seriously at the triple.fi or the UE-10 Pro.

What I'm looking for is an IEM that will get close to my 010 in terms of transparency, resolution and thus texture. Extension would be nice too. I don't need warmth, I don't need romantic. I don't need bass quantity, though it has to be tight - so I guess I'm looking for a 010/K 1000 in an IEM (though obviously, the soundstaging/imaging strengths of the 010/K 1000 won't be there at all).

I like the fundamental resolution of the Sensaphonics. They're not the most resolving headphone I've owned (actually, they're not even in the top 5) but they're not particularly deficient in this area. Still, it'd be nice to do better.

Best,

-Jason

The Sony SA5000 don't hold a candle to their older models from 1994, the MDR-CD1000 and MDR-CD3000 [identical in sound, both]. Anyone who has heard those will tell you that.

If you can afford the UE-10 pro after losing a pair of E500 [how you could do that is beyond me], go for it. The triple.fi are the same sound quality, and a lot cheaper than the UE-10. Only difference there is custom molded fit.

The UE's do have nice tight bass, and from what people say, not subwooferish like as in the E500. I'm still waiting to get my pair of triple.fi's so I can hopefully rave about how much better than the super.fi 5 they are.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Yah, Shure E4c has this nicly emphasized midrange like E500. However, the high is not as rolled off as Shure E500. However, maybe because of the in your head soundstage Shure E4c produces, Shure E4c vocal has this singing beside your ears thing, which is very seductive. Shure E500 only has this effect on few tracks I have experienced, but in general, it is just more emphasized.

Quote:

Resolution and transparency wise, UE10 pro is more like SA5k. However, if you are talking about forward sound of SA5k, Shure E500 is more forward than UE10 Pro.

Quote:

-Jason

Based on the review I have read so far, Triple.fi 10 pro is very close sounding to UE10 pro with some boost in treble and bass to make it more musical as to more transparent and detailed.

I recommand you get the triple.fi 10 pro first, and just EQ down the treble and bass. I think that will be a very UE10 Pro like sounding, IMO, but of course, I have never heard triple.fi 10 pro, so this is just my guess based on the inital review I have read.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Resolution and transparency wise, UE10 pro is more like SA5k. However, if you are talking about forward sound of SA5k, Shure E500 is more forward than UE10 Pro.

Yeah, I also find the E500 to be nicely forward too. Kinda Grado-ish in a way. But I'm not looking for forward in this next IEM - the Qualia 010 is a lot less forward than the SA5000, and I'm leaning towards something closer to the 010.

But while it's closer to the SA5k, would you say the UE10 Pro is almost as satisfying in resolution and transparency for someone who really values those sonic traits? I find the Sensaphonics to be more resolving than the E500, in the same way I find a properly amped HD650 to be actually pretty resolving - but neither the HD650 nor the Sensas are there for me, relative to a K 1000 or good electrostat or even the SA5000.

Quote:

I recommand you get the triple.fi 10 pro first, and just EQ down the treble and bass. I think that will be a very UE10 Pro like sounding, IMO, but of course, I have never heard triple.fi 10 pro, so this is just my guess based on the inital review I have read.

Yeah, it's tempting to get the triple.fi... but only really because I seem to like buying IEM.
biggrin.gif
But I dunno... with my Sensaphonics not currently working, I'm kind of missing not having a top end IEM at the moment...

Best,

-Jason

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

solvexyz,

Have you ever heard the MDR-CD1000 or CD3000?
If so, and that was a long time ago, mine lasted from 1993 to 1996 I believe,
what did you think of them?

I never heard of them and getting a new one is basically near impossible because they already discontinued them, but I am very looking forward to hearing them someday. However, from the reviews that I have read from here, SA5000 has tighter bass, more detail and transparent than CD3000.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

I never heard of them and getting a new one is basically near impossible because they already discontinued them, but I am very looking forward to hearing them someday. However, from the reviews that I have read from here, SA5000 has tighter bass, more detail and transparent than CD3000.

They're not that hard to find. Market price for a very good condition used CD3k is less than $450 right now.

I like both the CD3k and SA5k. Personally, I find comparing them a bit like comparing a BMW Z3 and a Honda S2000. Different cars, different purposes, different people want them, even if they both are two seater roadsters.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Yeah, I also find the E500 to be nicely forward too. Kinda Grado-ish in a way. But I'm not looking for forward in this next IEM - the Qualia 010 is a lot less forward than the SA5000, and I'm leaning towards something closer to the 010.

But while it's closer to the SA5k, would you say the UE10 Pro is almost as satisfying in resolution and transparency for someone who really values those sonic traits? I find the Sensaphonics to be more resolving than the E500, in the same way I find a properly amped HD650 to be actually pretty resolving - but neither the HD650 nor the Sensas are there for me, relative to a K 1000 or good electrostat or even the SA5000.

Yeah, it's tempting to get the triple.fi... but only really because I seem to like buying IEM.
biggrin.gif
But I dunno... with my Sensaphonics not currently working, I'm kind of missing not having a top end IEM at the moment...

Best,

-Jason

Well, there is one thing that I can not find this in sonic trait in UE10 Pro. It is the 3D imaging, and the crazy instrument separation of SA5k.

UE10 Pro is very resolving just like SA5k. All the details in the music. I can find it in UE10 Pro, especially bass. However, in terms of intrument separation, SA5k does this a whole lot better. You can notice gaps between each instrument with SA5k. It is almost like each music instrument is direct to your ears via different sound tubes. You will not get this with UE10 Pro.

However, I would say UE10 Pro is more natural sounding, and as much resolving as SA5k. All the details, I can notice with SA5k. I can notice in UE10 Pro as well. It is more close to what you will hear in real life.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Well, there is one thing that I can not find this in sonic trait in UE10 Pro as SA5k. It is the 3D imaging, and the crazy instrument separation of SA5k.

Yeah, the SA5k has insane separation. I haven't heard anything with better separation, including the various Stax, Qualia 010 and K 1000. The SA5k's got good 3D imaging - though each of the aformentioned headphones can trounce the SA5k for that.

Interesting, thanks for the thoughts re: UE-10 Pro. One of these days I'll give in and just buy one... I mean you can't really know until you've tried it.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back