IEM Question
Oct 22, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #31 of 62
I believe this is the perfect simile for IpodPJ
basshead.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #32 of 62
The E4s are much more balanced than the 5 Pros. With the 5 Pros, the bass is in distinct prominence over the rest of the frequencies.

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #33 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
And I think the Shure e4, even though he is not looking for much bass, have very little bass at all!!! In your music, you have to have some sort of balance between your frequencies, and I think the Shure's suffer tremendously in that department.

Shure E4c has plenty of bass when used with fifth gen iPod. On fourth gen iPod, Shure e4c has sufferred from the famous 4th gen iPod bass rolled off problem.

On fifth gen, Shure E4c has plenty of bass.

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
The E4s are much more balanced than the 5 Pros. With the 5 Pros, the bass is in distinct prominence over the rest of the frequencies.

5 pros is actually more balanced when used with 4th gen iPod. I think UE tweek it for 4th gen iPod by giving some bass boost.

However, on 5th gen iPod, Apple fixed the bass rolled off problem, and therefore, the bass of 5 pros becomes more distinct over the rest of the frequencies.

So for 5th gen iPod, Shure E4c is finally able to shine. It is very balanced IEM.

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Well, I have the 5g ipod, and I don't know how you guys can call the Super.Fi 5 pros bass heavy.... Thats what the 5 EBs are for..
I mean, sure, there are some songs that I play that have excellent bass with the 5 pro's, but only with the EQ on. With the EQ off, what kind of bass are you talking about? I guess some people really think the mildest amounts of bass are bass heavy.

And I think the Shure e4, even though he is not looking for much bass, have very little bass at all!!! In your music, you have to have some sort of balance between your frequencies, and I think the Shure's suffer tremendously in that department.

For god's sake stop being so stubborn!
Oh wow, you like bass, everyone got that

I'm a bit of of a basshead, my headphones being DT990 and UM2
tongue.gif
because IMO (3 letters that you should start to use) most music I listen to sounds more fun with a tad more bass. But i can still appreciate other people's listening habits and i know for reference what 'flat sound' is, through listening to monitors and DT880- although the DT880 is slightly bright i miss it sometimes for listening to jazz, especially female vocals

As for the EB, those aren't even in the bass heavy category anymore.. EVERY other sound in music is drowned out by the music

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #37 of 62
"Hey, doesn't it seem, this being post #30 of the thread, that we care more about what IEMs he buys than he does? LOL!!!! "

Lol, Im just sitting back and watching....

I am leaning twords the E4c's tough, your are just outnumberd.

EDIT: Just looked at a pair of Westone UM1's, are they any good?

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
5 pros is actually more balanced when used with 4th gen iPod. I think UE tweek it for 4th gen iPod by giving some bass boost.

However, on 5th gen iPod, Apple fixed the bass rolled off problem, and therefore, the bass of 5 pros becomes more distinct over the rest of the frequencies.

So for 5th gen iPod, Shure E4c is finally able to shine. It is very balanced IEM.

That's pretty funny, because I couldn't help notice how on your signature it notes that you sold your Shure E4.... any particular reason??
confused.gif

You seem to give them such high recommendations, and from what I have read here, the E500 which you now own takes some time to get in your ear properly. Wouldn't you still want to keep your E4 if you like them that much, being that they are a non-armature design and your E500 is?

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

That's pretty funny, because I couldn't help notice how on your signature it notes that you sold your Shure E4.... any particular reason??
confused.gif

You seem to give them such high recommendations, and from what I have read here, the E500 which you now own takes some time to get in your ear properly. Wouldn't you still want to keep your E4 if you like them that much, being that they are a non-armature design and your E500 is?

They are, the only IEM from shure with dyamic drivers is the E2
More isn't always better, there's still people preferring ER4 to any IEM (or even headphones)

PS. he has UE10pro

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
For god's sake stop being so stubborn!
Oh wow, you like bass, everyone got that

I really could care less about your opinion from the immature private messages you sent me last night.

Aside from that, yes I like bass, but that is not what I am saying. I just don't think the 5 pros are bass HEAVY... I think the frequencies may lack just slightly in the mids, but too prominent mids can drown out the others.

As far as I'm concerned though, this thread has had enough debate.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

confused.gif

I get rid of Shure e4c because I have UE10 Pro, which gets all the love, and just like what I mentioned Shure E4c is a very bad choice if you paired it up with 4th gen iPod, which Shure e4c sounds really bad on it, but shines everywhere else.

Shure E4c is amature design just like Super.fi 5 pro.

I get Shure E500 because I missed the mid that Shure is famous for, and it competes very well against my UE10 Pro.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

I really could care less about your opinion from the immature private messages you sent me last night.

Aside from that, yes I like bass, but that is not what I am saying. I just don't think the 5 pros are bass HEAVY... I think the frequencies may lack just slightly in the mids, but too prominent mids can drown out the others.

As far as I'm concerned though, this thread has had enough debate.

I'm immature? Why don't you tell everyone about the thread you made concerning people in Africa should stop screwING to stop poverty and the spread of AIDS (oh yeah, that's very much a quote)

Oh and refresh my memory, did you also say that we shouldn't help them in any way and just spend all our money on headphones? After all, as you said before, when they're living they're just going to spread AIDS and make more babies anyway

I PMed you to tell you that it was a sick and twisted thought, and you went on to insult me on having 'so many headphones so that i can listen to music in different ways than it was meant to sound like'

Who's the immature one?

Oh, and mids is where the music is for pop/rock music.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
I get rid of Shure e4c because I have UE10 Pro, which gets all the love, and just like what I mentioned Shure E4c is a very bad choice if you paired it up with 4th gen iPod, which Shure e4c sounds really bad on it, but shines everywhere else.

Shure E4c is amature design just like Super.fi 5 pro.

I get Shure E500 because I missed the mid that Shure is famous for, and it competes very well against my UE10 Pro.

Shure does have a very good soundstage though, I will say.
Why does Shure's website call them High-Energy Tuned Port Drivers on the E4, but then on the E500 says armature?
This is very misleading if indeed the E4 uses an armature.
And what would you say the sound difference is between the e4c and the e4g?
Shure's MSRP on the e4c is $319 while the e4g MSRP is $299.

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif
Just a quickie....

I need a pair of IEMs to get me trough the day. I've tried lugging around my Proline 750's back and forth to school every day, and it is just to much. I am looking for a good pair of IEMs ~$170. I will be listing to these on a 80GB iPod, and I have a chu-moy, altough I really dont think a IEM in this range will need it. I like a rich sound, and bass is not on the top of my list of important headphone charactaristics. I was looking at the Shure E4C's. Is their another competing headphone I should consider?
etysmile.gif

I've read some pretty good posts about some perfect iem's for you, your music, and your aural preferences. I'd also have to say that I think the e4c's would be something you may enjoy. They aren't too colored soundwise and offer very nice neutrality. I originally started with the SuperFi.5.Pros and while they do sound fantastic, seem to have a darker sound for me. They didn't seem too detailed in the highs and mids, and I don't care to EQ at all, so I was left feeling a little.....lacking when listening with the sfp's. Again, that's simply my opinion. I took the plunge with some e4c's and found exactly what I was looking for, which was a much more balanced or neutral sound. The highs and mids were very detailed for me with the e4's. The sf5p's seemed perfect for electronic, industrial, some techno, and r&b. I didn't like them at all listening to bands such as Queensryche, Eagles, Iron Maiden, etc etc.

Again, to me the sf5p's emphasized much more warmth and a darker tone than the e4's, but they did have their place in my musical collection.

I hope this helps

Oct 22, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Shure does have a very good soundstage though, I will say.
Why does Shure's website call them High-Energy Tuned Port Drivers on the E4, but then on the E500 says armature?
This is very misleading if indeed the E4 uses an armature.
And what would you say the sound difference is between the e4c and the e4g?
Shure's MSRP on the e4c is $319 while the e4g MSRP is $299.

There is no sound difference between g and c just the cable iirc.

BTW, if one wants soundstage I would recommend against IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back