IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jun 28, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,231 of 2,106
Would you say the Isa has also bass slam?

Yeah but it's a lot more linear than Dorado or Bravado. Driver type aside Andromeda and Isa have a lot in common in my opinion.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #1,234 of 2,106
Well after a lot of back and forth I just ordered a set of 64 audio Nio
great choice, 👍

what to expect from the Nio,
if you ever wear a full BA iem with no vent,
how uncomfortable it is with the ear pressure,

the Nio comes with zero pressure,
absolutely comfortable experience,

once you go Apex module,
there is no coming back.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #1,235 of 2,106
Thanks i will be happy if there a nice step up from SE846 i own that are very treble lacking .

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,237 of 2,106
I received my Nio today doing some listening now out of my DX-220 . So i need some help advice on a couple things im unhappy with before i can give you guys my impression of these IEM . First i need to replace this terrible cable some suggestions would be great . Second thing is i need advice on what tips to buy ,the stock smallest silicone tips keep losing there seal and the sound goes from pleasing to thin as they lose there seal .I need some nice tips that will sound good and seal well , i have not tried the foam tips as i have read that many foam tips mess with the treble which i dont want . Very first impression are, there a nice step from my SE846 so im happy . Also they are some very nice looking IEM .

Attachments

• 20210630_192720.jpg
    20210630_192720.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #1,238 of 2,106
I received my Nio today doing some listening now out of my DX-220 . So i need some help advice on a couple things im unhappy with before i can give you guys my impression of these IEM . First i need to replace this terrible cable some suggestions would be great . Second thing is i need advice on what tips to buy ,the stock smallest silicone tips keep losing there seal and the sound goes from pleasing to thin as they lose there seal .I need some nice tips that will sound good and seal well , i have not tried the foam tips as i have read that many foam tips mess with the treble which i dont want . Very first impression are, there a nice step from my SE846 so im happy . Also they are some very nice looking IEM .
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-official-64-audio-thread-apex-tia-technologies.826606/

Tried asking in the dedicated 64 audio thread?

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,239 of 2,106
I use a triple flange on the U12T,
maybe you could try it,
as for a general tips, Final E, Cp500/cp155 & Radius deep mount is my rec,

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,240 of 2,106
Andro for the speed that a BA setup can bring...and Dorado & Bravado for the thump in the kick drum. Isa wonderful too and the only reason I didn't mention it as I as in the midst of a Dorado listening phase yesterday and it slipped my mind.

Thanks for the recommendations. Bravado MKII appears excellent value for money. Only, crinacle’s assessment of them is less than flattering (just one persons opinion I know!).

Still, one thing that worry me after reading his comments are that the bass is so powerful that you might lose all other instruments beneath it. Do you not find instruments missing when listening to metal on the Bravado?

I’m looking at Bravado or Nio and there’s a pretty £1000 saving to be made if the former wins

Jul 1, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #1,241 of 2,106
Thanks for the recommendations. Bravado MKII appears excellent value for money. Only, crinacle’s assessment of them is less than flattering (just one persons opinion I know!).

Still, one thing that worry me after reading his comments are that the bass is so powerful that you might lose all other instruments beneath it. Do you not find instruments missing when listening to metal on the Bravado?

I’m looking at Bravado or Nio and there’s a pretty £1000 saving to be made if the former wins
Have you looked at Custom Arts stuff as the owner Piotrus appears to be a bit of a metal head? You’ve got the 4 and 6 in the fibae range that get good reviews (I’ve only got the 2 and Black, but like them well enough for prog). Only problem now is that we have to pay import tax ;(

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,242 of 2,106
I’ll have a look! I know previously I really wanted the 7 as it appears to do everything I want. But in that range it’s competing with the Andro 2020 which is hard to beat for an all-BA set for metal. I’d also decided that my next IEM would have DD bass. But saying that….

Yeah the import stuff is annoying now. I imported something from the states recently and I had to pay UK VAT on top of the import duty. Meaning I’m basically taxed 40% or there or there abouts!

I know Vision Ears don’t charge German VAT on shipments out of the EU, maybe I’ll check to see if Custom Arts would be the same

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #1,243 of 2,106
Thanks for the recommendations. Bravado MKII appears excellent value for money.

IMHO Bravado is great value for the money--the e-stat highs jump out at you right away and it's got EE's new W9 driver in the lows which imho it's really really nice. Alongside Sony's & Campfire's current high end DD drivers this driver in the Bravado puts out the nicest sounding & feeling bass I've heard. And Justice For All, in particular its kick drum, has never sounded better to me.

Only, crinacle’s assessment of them is less than flattering (just one persons opinion I know!).

I often don't relate to his impressions. I also think he generally listens to lower gain, on low volume and out of low power sources. This can really exaggerate the bass relative to everything else on an IEM like Bravado (or Dorado)...especially if the e-stats are not properly coming alive. I see you have the Shanling M8, which is a magnificent sounding player and the one I used with Bravado. Through turbo gain on the M8 the bass on the Bravado MKii was tight, controlled and very satisfying. While mids were definitely recessed a little there were never any instruments drowned out or anything.

Bass and treble (quality if not quantity in terms of the bass). are vastly superior on the Bravado imho. Nio definitely has a more forward, detailed and present mid-range overall than the Bravado...but Nio's mids don't really work for me overall. Guitars have bite but they lack body. On the whole the midrange of the Nio to me felt like a 2-d image tacked on top of a 3-d surface of bass. YMMV and all that-- I know my opinions here are not the minority.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,244 of 2,106
Bass and treble (quality if not quantity in terms of the bass). are vastly superior on the Bravado imho. Nio definitely has a more forward, detailed and present mid-range overall than the Bravado...but Nio's mids don't really work for me overall. Guitars have bite but they lack body. On the whole the midrange of the Nio to me felt like a 2-d image tacked on top of a 3-d surface of bass. YMMV and all that-- I know my opinions here are not the minority.

Thanks. Very useful again. I guess at this price (plus a little discount I think I can swing) I’m mightily tempted, even if it ticks a box for a particular niche in my collection.

I’ve only really got my VE8 at the minute and they are too laid back and and ‘wall of sound’. I feel like they come across mushy yet sibilant for a lot of metal due the the recessed 1-2khz region yet the spike in the mid-higher treble. Sounds great for some genres but it’s really hit and miss with metal.

How are Bravado for layering/positioning/staging? And presumably there’s ample bite for guitars as per your previous comments? (in relation to Nio)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,245 of 2,106
Thanks. Very useful again. I guess at this price (plus a little discount I think I can swing) I’m mightily tempted, even if it ticks a box for a particular niche in my collection.

I’ve only really got my VE8 at the minute and they are too laid back and and ‘wall of sound’. I feel like they come across mushy yet sibilant for a lot of metal due the the recessed 1-2khz region yet the spike in the higher treble. Sounds great for some genres but it’s really hit and miss with metal.

How are Bravado for layering/positioning/staging? And presumably there’s ample bite for guitars as per your previous comments? (in relation to Nio)

I didn't really have Bravado on hand for long enough to get too deep into questions...but specifics around staging are not something I'm particularly finicky about. I didn't notice anything wrong in that sense though.

Guitars sound great-- the e-stat highs really help.

Yeah agreed about the VE8...it's got a very alluring quality to its tuning but I find the mids a little congested at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back