IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Dec 27, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #46 of 2,091
Any wireless recommendations or if that isn't a go a wired IEMs under $300.00. Source is mostly FLAC off my Cayin N3 or streaming from my pixel 2. My current IEMs are Sure 215. I know I can add a BT adapter (already had the Mee) but I'm exploring other options. Don't need ANC. I like the 215. Doesn't aggravate my tinnnitus and with a tad bit of eq has good bass. My sound preference is a bottom end that is elevated slightly but with slam, slightly warm but not vailed mids with good detail and a neutral to warm treble. My musical choices tend to run in the melo/melodic/prog death, prog and some black. Amorphis Opeth, Soen, Belakor, Dark Tranquillity, Moonspell, Shylmagoghnar, Firtan, Ne Obliviscarous Slugdge I also do hard rock, Stoner and OAR.

Dec 27, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #48 of 2,091
Has someone tried the Campfire Solaris? And could compare with the Atlas?
Thanks in advance.
This is probably coming too late to be helpful, but for the sake of others reading the thread...

I auditioned both, but not at the same time. Both were compared to my Andromeda (Green and S) on two separate occasions.

The Atlas packs a fun and powerful punch, especially at the lower end, but the stage is narrow and compressed for me coming from the Andromeda. The Solaris sounded very good to my ears, but it only sounded better than the Andromeda (not by a huge amount) after plugging them in very expensive sources. Fit was also an issue for me with the Solaris, since having the option to listen on the move is important to me. If you've already decided that the Andromeda is not for you, then I would recommend the Solaris over the Atlas, because it maintains the wonderful staging and details of the Andromeda, but adds a bit of the energy of the Atlas. Just make sure the fit works for you (i.e. they don't sit too far out of your ears).

\m/

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #49 of 2,091
I've been looking at the Sony's as a wired option based on feed here and good call on the BT 5 cable. I had been ignoring Sure cables due to the poor reviews of their first one but it appears Sure released a BT 5 cable recently. I'll have to read up on it to see if they fixed the issues.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #50 of 2,091
I've been looking at the Sony's as a wired option based on feed here and good call on the BT 5 cable. I had been ignoring Sure cables due to the poor reviews of their first one but it appears Sure released a BT 5 cable recently. I'll have to read up on it to see if they fixed the issues.
I grabbed the shure BT2 adapter withprime shipping. So far for music off my N3 and Pixel 2 it's been working great. Better sound than the Mee Audio adapter I had and I can switch wires without using plyers which the Mee required on the left side. We shall see how long it scratches the itch.

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #51 of 2,091
I grabbed the shure BT2 adapter withprime shipping. So far for music off my N3 and Pixel 2 it's been working great. Better sound than the Mee Audio adapter I had and I can switch wires without using plyers which the Mee required on the left side. We shall see how long it scratches the itch.

This is very expensive.
How is it? Really worth the money?

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #52 of 2,091
It was 50.00 more than any other I could find. But it's BT 5.0, has positive reviews and is built by Shure so I knew it would fit my 215s without incident.

So far the BT2 sounds better than the Mee Audio BTX1 it's replacing. Almost as good as wired with a slight drop in low end performanve, has great range, the buttons work well and the vocal prompts are volume matched. Battery life looks to be about 10% per hour so right on the 10 hour spec. The Mee had issues with most of its features. Paired without issues to my pixel 2 and my Cayin N3. Listening has been mostly of my Pixel 2 with souces being Bandcamp or Emby streaming FLAC files. Tested a few FLACs off my N3 and they sounded very good as well. I blew 65.00 on the Mee only be very disappointed. Iwasn't picking another off brand nor one with older tech. So I'm happy so far. I'll know by Friday if it meets my needs at work and how well it's ergonomics are.

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #54 of 2,091
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 30, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #55 of 2,091
It was 50.00 more than any other I could find. But it's BT 5.0, has positive reviews and is built by Shure so I knew it would fit my 215s without incident.

So far the BT2 sounds better than the Mee Audio BTX1 it's replacing. Almost as good as wired with a slight drop in low end performanve, has great range, the buttons work well and the vocal prompts are volume matched. Battery life looks to be about 10% per hour so right on the 10 hour spec. The Mee had issues with most of its features. Paired without issues to my pixel 2 and my Cayin N3. Listening has been mostly of my Pixel 2 with souces being Bandcamp or Emby streaming FLAC files. Tested a few FLACs off my N3 and they sounded very good as well. I blew 65.00 on the Mee only be very disappointed. Iwasn't picking another off brand nor one with older tech. So I'm happy so far. I'll know by Friday if it meets my needs at work and how well it's ergonomics are.

Seems like you are really happy with it.
10 hours battery life is a huge performance, compared to what's actually on the market.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #56 of 2,091
Seems like you are really happy with it.
10 hours battery life is a huge performance, compared to what's actually on the market.
If it performs at that level then yes it is. Sadly everything on the market is pretty low grade except the Westone and Shure BT2, including Shure's first attempt the BT1. The Mee Audio could have been a giant killer if not for poor execution. My only nit with the BT2 is the clip. It's tension loaded and a real bitch to get clipped. It won't slip off once it's clipped though.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #57 of 2,091
My only nit with the BT2 is the clip. It's tension loaded and a real bitch to get clipped. It won't slip off once it's clipped though.
The clip is designed for button down shirts. It slips right onto the shirt and the right wire is slightly longer than the left so it doesn't tug with the dingle clipped on sideways. For this use case the clip works great. For other types of shirts it's hit/miss. Digging the sound too. Not hard sounding like the Mee Audio with plenty of drive. IMHO worth the $

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #58 of 2,091
Probably N3; E5K a little too relaxed sounding.

I just got the E5000. You are right, this is way too dark and warm for metal. I do not enjoy listening to metal on them. The details are there, but really, really quiet in the background, you have to look for them. Also, listening to female voices, I feel the emotion is lacking, and if they are backing vocals, they are really far in the background and quiet. It does sound good on certain songs, but I think it colors the sound a bit to much and quiets down lots of details to be suited for all types of music. On the other hand, I find the E4000 a lot better. After a few days it warmed up on me, maybe it's the burn in, maybe I got used to them, but they provide a really nice sound, quite enjoy them. Lot more lively and exciting but still on the warm and relaxed side to be suited for long listening sessions. Also, I think the stage is larger than the E5000. Some instruments are placed farther away while others are kept close. One complain, the voices are a bit veiled and recessed.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #59 of 2,091
EarSonics S-EM6 V2 ; from technical death to funeral doom.
One the fastest multidriver IEM - neutral (uncolored), very detailed with deep and wide soundstage.
They like amplification - not for smartphones or weak DAPs. High quality source is the must.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #60 of 2,091
What would be a good option for using at work all day? Must be comfy for mainly black and death metal but also symphonic. Can spend up to £300 out of a Cayin n5ii or dx200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back