IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Apr 21, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,126 of 2,094
In these days I don't have a lot of time to do some comparison, btw I did a little bit of burn in (maybe 10 hours) and listened to some albums, and first impressions are very positive.
Bass are very strong and punchy, probably the bassiest IEMs I've ever had, but they are not boomy and they don't bleed into mids.
They are v-shape tuned IEMs, but to me mids are not so recessed and highs are not too bright or painful (I'm treble sensitive). For example cymbals sounds smooth and the overall tonality is relaxed. It seems to be a fantastic set for long sessions because it is not fatiguing.
I'm waiting a 4.4 mm cable to be able to do a/b test with UM 3DT from the same source to tell you more about the difference.
Btw they are two very different IEMs and first impressions are very good. I don't know if I'm a basshead, I don't think so, but I like to feel that punch of the drums, and the body of bass guitars and these Vega 2020 do it very well.
Surely they will not be detail monster but I want to burn them in for around 100 hours to give a final verdict.
At the moment I'm imaging that Vega and 3DT could be complementary.
Last but not least, they are incredibly well built and ceramic shells are so beautiful.

Albmus listened till now:
- Pink Floyd "Meddle"
- Caligula's Horse "Rise Radiant"
- Tool "10,000 Days"
- Trivium "The Sin and The Sentence"
- Korn "Greatest Hits Vol.1"

Next will be Haken, Slipknot, Metallica, Opeth, Pantera, The Ocean, All Them Witches, Primus...

If you are curious about how they sound with some specific albums or groups, just tell me and I'll try to give a feedback.
I noticed quite prominent changes after around 50 hours on the Vega 2020... Seems to open up, become more airy and concise with better imaging while still have the great bass. I had the same experience with the Atlas that used the same driver.

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #1,127 of 2,094
I noticed quite prominent changes after around 50 hours on the Vega 2020... Seems to open up, become more airy and concise with better imaging while still have the great bass. I had the same experience with the Atlas that used the same driver.
Nice! I was hoping that. If they become more airy it will be fantastic. I'll let you know.

Apr 22, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,128 of 2,094
I am thinking of the UM 3DT as my next IEM, but I have my doubts. The opinions I read around here are usually good, but the reviews I've seen on YouTube are bad. And I don't know what to expect from them, really ...

YouTube reviews:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,129 of 2,094
I am thinking of the UM 3DT as my next IEM, but I have my doubts. The opinions I read around here are usually good, but the reviews I've seen on YouTube are bad. And I don't know what to expect from them, really ...
Clearly I like the 3DT A LOT, so I’m biased, but I’ll try to be fair.

Strengths:
- Very natural sounding, with excellent timbral accuracy.
- Remarkably detailed, though not the “over-sharpened” hyper-detail of some BAs.
- Highly resolving.
- Holographic imaging, but this is somewhat source dependent, IMO,
- Large, but not huge soundstage.
- Fast, detailed, percussive, natural bass. No bloat or bleed. Even sub bass and mid bass representation.
- Balanced midrange presentation, though a little biased towards female vocals.
- Beautiful looking shells! IMO.
- Not too expensive in general (relative statement).

Weaknesses:
- Prominent upper midrange and lower treble, with some FR spikes. May sound bright and shouty to some people. (I can tolerate it okay in stock form, but prefer to use a partial Moondrop filter on mine, for this reason.)
- A little less bass quantity than I prefer. (I boost the sub bass a little with EQ.)
- Treble doesn’t sound rolled off to me, but the upper treble extension is not amazing.
- May take some time to burn in drivers, brain, etc.
- Large shell, and really wide nozzles, but they seem to sound best with shallow insertion.
- Sensitive to ear tip selection.
- Not as coherent as a single DD IEM, but is more coherent than many hybrids.
- Can cause uncomfortable pressure buildup for some people.
- Cheap stock cable.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #1,130 of 2,094

YouTube reviews:

No disrespect at all to Mike B, but the fact that he rates the BL-03 as more resolving with better imaging than the 3DT just goes to show how incredibly subjective audio can be. We've got people who say the 3DT goes head to head with kilobuck IEMs, and others who say it gets beaten by a $25 unit.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #1,131 of 2,094
No disrespect at all to Mike B, but the fact that he rates the BL-03 as more resolving with better imaging than the 3DT just goes to show how incredibly subjective audio can be. We've got people who say the 3DT goes head to head with kilobuck IEMs, and others who say it gets beaten by a $25 unit.
That is what worries me, that I find myself in the second case.
With others such as Mest or Clairvoyance it seems that this duality of opinions does not exist.

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,133 of 2,094
Took the dive on the 3DT with them on sale via Musicteck. Probably going to offload my LZ A7 and my Polaris II.

My U12t are still the champs for me with metal, but looking for that daily driver.
I was planning to sell my A7s also but I’m having a really hard time bringing myself to do it. So versatile.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,135 of 2,094
I was planning to sell my A7s also but I’m having a really hard time bringing myself to do it. So versatile.
Then do you prefer the 3DT vs A7?

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,137 of 2,094
Took the dive on the 3DT with them on sale via Musicteck. Probably going to offload my LZ A7 and my Polaris II.

My U12t are still the champs for me with metal, but looking for that daily driver.
I imagine the u12t would be the champs as an all-purpose IEM, and also be amazing with metal, but I think the 3DT with provide you with a nice, unique experience.

I have been thinking the same thing, but I too can’t bring myself to let it go. The A7 is just so comfortable, versatile, and just good sounding.

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #1,138 of 2,094
About those reviews of 3DT, I follow both guys and like many of their reviews but this time I don't agree about their verdict. This proves me the same thing: audio can be very subjective. There is someone that finds 3DT having too many bass, while me and other guys here find them lacking a bit of bass. Someone can find them too bright and shouty, but for me are ok, and for example I immediately sold my S8F in cause of upper mids that pierced my ears.
Certainly these 3DT are unique IEMs that have a great value for money imo.
I'd like they have punchier bass to be almost perfect.
Meanwhile I'm falling in love of Vega 2020, burning in while waiting for the balanced cable, and then I will do a comparison between them and 3DT (I know that is a different price range but imo 3DT sound twice their price tag).
Last but not least: imo 3DT need a good source and balanced cable to show their full potential (the stock one is garbage).

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #1,139 of 2,094
My favorite one for metal, rock, indie is Opus Mia maybe due to 15mm Aten driver.

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #1,140 of 2,094
So far UM MEST MkII performed far better than any IEMs I’ve tried over my past 15 years into this hobby for Rock/Metal.
Mest Mk2 is my favorite IEM, but not for metal, if you try IMR Opus mia with Xelastec and CEMA PS connected to Shanling M8....
I’m listening right now “and justice for all” with a big smile, bass is fast and kick my head but also mids are fuller and highs shine without be harsh

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back