IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,156 of 2,064
So far, I’m really enjoying the Clairvoyance with metal. The bass is not the fastest, but it has a sharp transient attack with nice decay, and no significant smearing. The bass on the OG MEST is a little faster and better defined, but also slightly drier. Actually, the bass is somewhat similar in quality to the LZ A7, except the A7 has more dry bass, and the Clair has a lot more rumble. Bass drum hits sound nice and phat.

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,157 of 2,064
If you like and can tolerate the NM2+, I think you’ll be fine with the 3DT. If not, a little micropore tape or a Moondrop filter works wonders.
I do generally like the NM2+. Tolerate is another story though... I find them really fatiguing and typically have to listen to them at quite a low volume. I've only listened to them a handful of times since picking up a the SA6's as the SA6 are much more forgiving.

I've seen the filter mod you and a few others have mentioned in the 3DT thread. Sounds like that would most likely be a requirement for me.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,159 of 2,064
If you like and can tolerate the NM2+, I think you’ll be fine with the 3DT. If not, a little micropore tape or a Moondrop filter works wonders.

if you still can get KBear Believe, get it... I think one of the best for metal and hard rock.

I can't get enough with Believe... insane percussion details and imaging. Put it in high gain and at least 100 mW

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #1,160 of 2,064
if you still can get KBear Believe, get it... I think one of the best for metal and hard rock.

I can't get enough with Believe... insane percussion details and imaging. Put it in high gain and at least 100 mW
It is a remarkable IEM, especially for the price. It’s really a shame that it’s discontinued. I wonder if KBEAR can create a similar sounding/performing IEM with a beryllium fully coated driver.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,161 of 2,064
So received the 3dt last night and I am digging it. Sometimes I find it hard to articulate what I am hearing, but this is a great sounding iem to me. Def feels v shaped and is what I was expecting the Polaris II to sound like when I purchased that iem a few months ago. Bass is great and has punch, but is clear enough to follow double kick drums clearly. The treble does feel a little tinny. Maybe that settles down?

Soundstage feels open and clear. Not as technical sounding as my B2 and not the overall winner that I find the U12t to be. It just sounds great, clear/transparent, and fun.

Trialed them out with Animals As Leaders, Dio, Death, Entombed, Crystal Age.

I think I’ll be offloading my A7 and Polaris 2. For now the trifecta of 3dt, B2, and U12t is the balanced act I’ve been looking for.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #1,164 of 2,064
So you like them better than A7? I suppose A7 is fatiguing on longer sessions?

I think LZ A7 even though by itself is good, but there are better IEMs that can beat them heads on.

However, 3dt - I think is a step up from LZ A7, price wise and design quality.

Might be good for treble sensitive people, I agreed piezo electric driver in LZ A7 over a long period of listening will wear you out.

May 3, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #1,165 of 2,064
Just got my 3DT.

It's only been a few songs but honestly, I am grinning. I am used to more expensive IEMs (Andromedas, Clairvoyance, Noble K10, or even the Dunu SA6 and Fearless S8F). But for guitar and metal, the 3DTs really bring a lot of punch.

There's more bass than I normally go for, and yes, upper treble need work. But they're immensely pleasant to just have a blast with and enjoy the music so far.

May 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,166 of 2,064
Just got my 3DT.

It's only been a few songs but honestly, I am grinning. I am used to more expensive IEMs (Andromedas, Clairvoyance, Noble K10, or even the Dunu SA6 and Fearless S8F). But for guitar and metal, the 3DTs really bring a lot of punch.

There's more bass than I normally go for, and yes, upper treble need work. But they're immensely pleasant to just have a blast with and enjoy the music so far.
Give the DDs some time to break in. I think the sound becomes smoother over time.

May 4, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #1,167 of 2,064
Just got my 3DT.

cover the nozzle with some micropore or moondrop filter, 👍
smoooth~~~

May 10, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,168 of 2,064
So received the 3dt last night and I am digging it. Sometimes I find it hard to articulate what I am hearing, but this is a great sounding iem to me. Def feels v shaped and is what I was expecting the Polaris II to sound like when I purchased that iem a few months ago. Bass is great and has punch, but is clear enough to follow double kick drums clearly. The treble does feel a little tinny. Maybe that settles down?

Soundstage feels open and clear. Not as technical sounding as my B2 and not the overall winner that I find the U12t to be. It just sounds great, clear/transparent, and fun.

Trialed them out with Animals As Leaders, Dio, Death, Entombed, Crystal Age.

I think I’ll be offloading my A7 and Polaris 2. For now the trifecta of 3dt, B2, and U12t is the balanced act I’ve been looking for.
How is Blessing 2 with extreme metal?

Does it work well with even the fastest and most chaotic music?

May 11, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #1,170 of 2,064
Guys I am listening to stoner, doom, metal, psychedelic stoner, psychedelic doom, space rock, etc and I want an IEM with a huge soundstage and want it to be clear.
Any ideas please?
Definitely look into IMR’s line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back