IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 29, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #871 of 2,098
Ok guys, read some reviews and I have the Clairvoyance in the shopping cart. Should I pull the trigger?

It's a lot of money for me, but from what I read they could be the perfect IEMs for me.

What would you say? Are they bassy enough coming from FH3 and H40?
graph (49).png

lol that bass looks nearly identical.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #872 of 2,098
That looks very tasteful :)

Unfortunately the delivery time of the Clairs is quite high, at least 30+ days until they get shipped.

And I don't think that both the Monarch and the Clairs get any discount in the next few weeks because of this (and because they're still quite new).

Hard decision but I think I'll pull the trigger in the next days. If I don't like them I think I can sell them easily and not loosing that much money.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #873 of 2,098

Unfortunately the delivery time of the Clairs is quite high, at least 30+ days until they get shipped.

And I don't think that both the Monarch and the Clairs get any discount in the next few weeks because of this (and because they're still quite new).

Hard decision but I think I'll pull the trigger in the next days. If I don't like them I think I can sell them easily and not loosing that much money.
I don't recommend you buying them now. We are getting close to the Chinese new year so there is a risk that it wont be shipped out until after the holiday is over (few weeks).

Even my order from a week ago has been delayed, but hopefully it gets shipped before everything stops in china... (tansio mirai TSMR-4 pro)

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #874 of 2,098
I don't recommend you buying them now. We are getting close to the Chinese new year so there is a risk that it wont be shipped out until after the holiday is over (few weeks).

Even my order from a week ago has been delayed, but hopefully it gets shipped before everything stops in china... (tansio mirai TSMR-4 pro)
Thanks. Then I'll wait and see what happens in february.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #875 of 2,098

There is a used Monarch for sale here at the moment, should you be interested.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thie-audio-monarch.953568/

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #877 of 2,098
graph (49).png
lol that bass looks nearly identical.

Although the bass looks identical, with the Clairvoyance may seem like there is less bass because it has much more energy between 2.5 kHz and 5 kHz, which makes it have a brighter profile.

Thanks but I'm more into the Clairvoyance.

You do well, its higher mid-bass is very important for genres like metal.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #878 of 2,098
I got the FD5 today and I'm not so sure it's good for metal at leat it doesn't realy fit my sound precerence. It has potential but I still need to burn them in and experiment with tips and cables.
I just tested it for 10 min OOTB
What I noticed immediately mids are recessed and they lack clarity at least to my ears and that's again in the first 10 min of listen. I cannot say more only That FD5 has lots of going for it, bass is amazing both sub and mid bass.... It's burn in time 200h and then test...

Let me update my own post
After 30 hours of burn in things are improving greatly. Fiio does recommend 100-200 hours for FD5 and I'm beginning to understand why. None of the DDs I have/had didn't improve as much as this one after only 30 hours.
Im beginning to smile and headbang 🤟

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #879 of 2,098
Recommendation for all is Fiio FD5. This thing is insane. After so and so first impression I have to admit they are fantastic. All I changed form balanced to vocal tips and currently using them with BTR5 balanced. Atm I'm at around 70h, and today I couldn't resist I'm listening them 7-8 hours straight.
What surprised me the most is how conformable and how good they isolate outside noise being cylindrical shape and semi-open back.
I still think upper mids are tad recessed and that is only compared to my favourite S8F but realy if I'm not comparing i wouldn't know/realize.
What they "lose" in mids they gain in bass. Sub and mid bass is best i heard so far. Attack is very fast and decay maybe just a fraction slower than S8F but that may be placebo of stronger punch and rumble they provide. All in all I didn't notice any smearing or muddiness, bass is fast, clean, extends realy deep and doesn't bleed into the mids, well done.
Some complained about the treble being edgy in some tracks but myself not being sensitive to treble to my ears treble well extended with anough sparkle and air to sound fun and alive. I'm not noticing any odd peaks though at first listen out of the box symbals sounded splashy and I could pick up somewhat grainy texture in higher frequencies, but now after 70h of burn in it seems treble have settled down.
Accross the board timbre is very natural I'm not detecting anything what sounds off, coherency is the strong point of FD5.
I didn't yet tested for stage and imaging but at this point I would compare FD5 to a good closed back headphone.
Are they good for Metal? OH YES! But in my opinion they shine with bass heavy genres, my pick would be EDM and Synthvawe, so as Instrumental OSTs and similar.
In my book FD5 is very good iem it ticks almost all boxes, I'm surely keeping these. Only minor nitpick I would like little bit more energy in higher mids range, but that is just one man's opinion.

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #880 of 2,098
Recommendation for all is Fiio FD5. This thing is insane. After so and so first impression I have to admit they are fantastic. All I changed form balanced to vocal tips and currently using them with BTR5 balanced. Atm I'm at around 70h, and today I couldn't resist I'm listening them 7-8 hours straight.
What surprised me the most is how conformable and how good they isolate outside noise being cylindrical shape and semi-open back.
I still think upper mids are tad recessed and that is only compared to my favourite S8F but realy if I'm not comparing i wouldn't know/realize.
What they "lose" in mids they gain in bass. Sub and mid bass is best i heard so far. Attack is very fast and decay maybe just a fraction slower than S8F but that may be placebo of stronger punch and rumble they provide. All in all I didn't notice any smearing or muddiness, bass is fast, clean, extends realy deep and doesn't bleed into the mids, well done.
Some complained about the treble being edgy in some tracks but myself not being sensitive to treble to my ears treble well extended with anough sparkle and air to sound fun and alive. I'm not noticing any odd peaks though at first listen out of the box symbals sounded splashy and I could pick up somewhat grainy texture in higher frequencies, but now after 70h of burn in it seems treble have settled down.
Accross the board timbre is very natural I'm not detecting anything what sounds off, coherency is the strong point of FD5.
I didn't yet tested for stage and imaging but at this point I would compare FD5 to a good closed back headphone.
Are they good for Metal? OH YES! But in my opinion they shine with bass heavy genres, my pick would be EDM and Synthvawe, so as Instrumental OSTs and similar.
In my book FD5 is very good iem it ticks almost all boxes, I'm surely keeping these. Only minor nitpick I would like little bit more energy in higher mids range, but that is just one man's opinion.
Glad they worked out for you. Almost everyone has noticed improvement over time with the driver breaking in.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #881 of 2,098
Feb 5, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #884 of 2,098
Anyone tried the shanling ae 3 triple driver for metal yet? Trying to decide between that, shure se425 or westone b30/b50 for my next iem.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #885 of 2,098
Tomorrow I'll have FD5 impressions. Pretty excited.
These are on my radar. Wonder how much sound they leak with the semi-open design. I really only use IEMs in the office and have to be courtesy to my nearby cube mates... Not everybody wants to hear blast beats at 7:30am :jecklinsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back