IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #856 of 2,097
How is the Nio compared to the FH7?
I'm about to buy a new IEM, and I'm deciding between the Nio and the Mest.
You know how I feel about the Nio. I think it is an excellent IEM, a great allrounder due to the apex modules. I did not own the FH7 at the same time (I owned U12T in between), so it is difficult for me to draw a meaningful comparison.

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #857 of 2,097
You know how I feel about the Nio. I think it is an excellent IEM, a great allrounder due to the apex modules. I did not own the FH7 at the same time (I owned U12T in between), so it is difficult for me to draw a meaningful comparison.

Oh, it's true. I have been reading so many opinions recently that I no longer remember what you wrote.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #859 of 2,097
Hey guys,

coming from FH3 and H40 (also Sony N3 but the fit was horrible for me), what would be a serious upgrade to these IEMs up to 500$?

Most of the time (about 70%) I listen to some kinds of metal (death, black, progressive, doom), otherwise some (stoner) rock, hip hop, rap end electro.
I also use my IEMs for movies, so they should also be good in that part.

I like some deep, fast and full bass and a good and open soundstage. I'm very sensitive to shoutiness and too forward sounding mids. More relaxed sounding but with some airiness and detail.

Any recommendations?
I recommend looking at the FiiO FD5 as well. Reportedly fast, potent bass, huge soundstage, slightly recessed mids, and a lot of treble. Though the treble may be too bright for some, there are 2 nozzle choices, and with ear tip selection and possible simple mods, you can tailor the treble (I can’t personally recommend it since I haven‘t heard it myself).

My favorite IEM for metal is still the LZ A7; over the Fearless S8P and the UM MEST.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #860 of 2,097
I'm about to buy a new IEM, and I'm deciding between the Nio and the Mest.
I have yet to hear the Nio, but I think they are really quite different. The Nio can have a lot more bass, and is warmer sounding, with a more relaxed sound signature overall. The bass is also tunable via the APEX modules.

The MEST has fast, clear bass, but not a lot of it. The speed is good for metal though. The mids sound very slightly recessed, mostly due to the pronounced treble. The MEST has a lot of treble detail, quantity, and extension, though it is not harsh or fatiguing at all IMO. The amount of treble extension and detail do make it sound somewhat unnatural though. Imaging is spectacular.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #861 of 2,097
I recommend looking at the FiiO FD5 as well. Reportedly fast, potent bass, huge soundstage, slightly recessed mids, and a lot of treble. Though the treble may be too bright for some, there are 2 nozzle choices, and with ear tip selection and possible simple mods, you can tailor the treble.

My favorite IEM for metal is still the LZ A7; over the Fearless S8P and the UM MEST.
Thanks, read a lot of good stuff about the FD5 and especially the A7.

I think for my taste the Pop-red-configuration on the A7 would fit my personal taste the best and in one review her I read this:
"Overall: The POP-RED is essentially an upgraded FH3 in everyway except the bass which is either a tie or a win for the FH3 depending on what you are listening to. With more sub-bass focused genres like Hip-hop, EDM or Trance the added sub-bass quantity and texture will make it better on the FH3, while the POP-RED is much more versatile (where the FH3 can have a bit too much bass quantity, especially for acoustic songs)."

Never felt that the FH3 had too much bass for me in any genre. So I really don't know if the A7 would be such an upgrade. Yes, the rest seems to be a little bit better (sometimes he prefers the FH3). I think in the sub 500/600$ price range, the bass of the FH3 is quite hard to beat.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #862 of 2,097
I got the FD5 today and I'm not so sure it's good for metal at leat it doesn't realy fit my sound precerence. It has potential but I still need to burn them in and experiment with tips and cables.
I just tested it for 10 min OOTB
What I noticed immediately mids are recessed and they lack clarity at least to my ears and that's again in the first 10 min of listen. I cannot say more only That FD5 has lots of going for it, bass is amazing both sub and mid bass.... It's burn in time 200h and then test...

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #863 of 2,097
Thanks, read a lot of good stuff about the FD5 and especially the A7.

I think for my taste the Pop-red-configuration on the A7 would fit my personal taste the best and in one review her I read this:
"Overall: The POP-RED is essentially an upgraded FH3 in everyway except the bass which is either a tie or a win for the FH3 depending on what you are listening to. With more sub-bass focused genres like Hip-hop, EDM or Trance the added sub-bass quantity and texture will make it better on the FH3, while the POP-RED is much more versatile (where the FH3 can have a bit too much bass quantity, especially for acoustic songs)."

Never felt that the FH3 had too much bass for me in any genre. So I really don't know if the A7 would be such an upgrade. Yes, the rest seems to be a little bit better (sometimes he prefers the FH3). I think in the sub 500/600$ price range, the bass of the FH3 is quite hard to beat.
For rock/metal, I would give the edge to the A7 over the FD5. Because the treble is more relaxing on the A7, so electric guitars wont kill me and I wont get fatigued on it.

Mids are around the same quantity wise and they arent forward so that suits rock/metal. Bass has better quality on the FD5 though, so for faster metal tracks, the FD5 will be better. (like metallica - fight fire with fire, much cleaner sound on the FD5.)

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #865 of 2,097
Thanks, that's very helpful.

Why isn't there an IEM with both strengths combined. Damn. :D
Guess thats why you should get both. :joy:

Another thing to note is that the FD5 is more brutal to low quality/mastered files than the A7.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #866 of 2,097
I'm a big fan of headphones that are forgiving on bad recordings. I never understood the way a lot of people will say "this exposes bad recordings!" like that means the headphones are better. To me it's like well shiite, now I can't listen to these albums I used to enjoy.

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #867 of 2,097
I'm a big fan of headphones that are forgiving on bad recordings. I never understood the way a lot of people will say "this exposes bad recordings!" like that means the headphones are better. To me it's like well shiite, now I can't listen to these albums I used to enjoy.
Yeah I agree, whats the point of having an iem that you cant use with your favorite tracks if they are low quality/mastered.

But fortunately a big majority of my files are high quality, so I dont have to worry about that.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #868 of 2,097
I've been really enjoying using my CCA C10 for metal. It just has such a pleasant sound signature.

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #870 of 2,097
Ok guys, read some reviews and I have the Clairvoyance in the shopping cart. Should I pull the trigger?

It's a lot of money for me, but from what I read they could be the perfect IEMs for me.

What would you say? Are they bassy enough coming from FH3 and H40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back