IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Feb 5, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #886 of 2,101
These are on my radar. Wonder how much sound they leak with the semi-open design. I really only use IEMs in the office and have to be courtesy to my nearby cube mates... Not everybody wants to hear blast beats at 7:30am :jecklinsmile:

I'll give my impressions pretty shortly after I get them, but I wouldn't worry about the semi-open design. Put regular IEMs on a table and see how loud they have to be before they'd be audible at a distance.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #887 of 2,101
UM 3DT sounds great with metal. Fast, extremely detailed, great technicalities.

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #888 of 2,101
Hi all,
Signed up today hoping to get some advice on IEM choice. Reading this thread backwards cought my interest of many similarities on my recent purshases!
Been reading this forum and reviews for several weeks to get familiar with IEMs. I've been into this hobby for about 6 months now and have to start basically from scratch after my 25 yrs old Kenwood stereo and speakers degraded too much to enjoy.
Got me an Ikea Box for in the living room and is fine by me and got me an Spotify account for my Samsung A51 and started with a KZ AS10. And this is where the fun starts for me!
Went from KS AS10 to wf-1000xm3 with comply tips and took me a while to EQ the bass down to find my sweet spot.
Read great reviews on the LZ A7 and ordered this one as an upgrade and am as amazed as you are this IEM rocks!
Still I got used by wireless and got quite confused which route to go to improve sound for upgrade and was pleased the Ibasso CF01 has Amp and DAC and ordered one. Unfortunately the right side A7 failed and is under warranty to the factory at this moment.
For a spare IEM to pair with CF01 I went for the IT00 which will arrive soon but still I like to upgrade the A7 to IEM or CIEM and this is where I struggle big time to match impedance (CF01=9mW@32 Ohm). The It00 and A7 have similar 16Ohm impedance and recon this is a no brainer to pair with the CF01.

Reading the It07 thread I noticed A7 to 07 is a big upgrade worth considering and easy to pair with CF01. The A7 is highly recommended in this thread and love this one quite a bit but somehow I feel like the lower-midrange is getting muddy to my ears on black filter/black medium stock tips.
After reading a single berillium DD may be a great choice over BA for rock. The Shozy Black Hole caught my attention quite a bit and I was wondering if this IEM could be in favour over the IT07 I keep eyballing as well and wonder if both can be powered by the CF01 properly. In this part I lack the insight to make a proper decision and I hope you can shime in on this.

Below a short list of recent songs I like a lot to match an upgrade. I like the vocals close and intense which indicates a W signature (I guess) but I am open for a wide sound stage like the Black Hole as a great change of flavour...Or save up my chash for an CIEM which might be a new can of worms to open...

In this moment: Sick like me / Whore . Her voice can be quite fattiging exept on the A7!
The Dirty Youth: Cry little sister (like a lot!)
Falling in reverse: Drugs/ losing my life
BMTH: Parasite Eve / King Slayer
Paradise lost: One second
Dead by April: Can you see the Red (the screaming voice is hard to dial in with EQ)
New Years Day: Skeletons
Motionless in White.
Marlyn Manson.

I like the BH to pair with the CF01 for aestatics a lot and feel the A7 on the CF01 kinda odd.
Hope someone could shime in to run these songs on a BH but I realise the punch I like may not be in this IEM...

Thanks in advance, Erik

Not quite the genre discussed over here Think it's more industrial rock I like quite a bit.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #889 of 2,101
UM 3DT sounds great with metal. Fast, extremely detailed, great technicalities.
I am so tempted 😁
I have small ears, is it much bigger than A7?

Thanks

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #890 of 2,101
I am so tempted 😁
I have small ears, is it much bigger than A7?

Thanks
It has a CIEM-like shape, and it is a lot bigger overall, but the shape still may fit.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #891 of 2,101
Okay, I really like the KZ DQ6 for metal as well. It has very fast, potent, percussive, and defined bass. It does have a lot of bass, and a bit of a warmer, thicker sound, but the bass quality is very good. Detail retrieval is excellent, as is resolution and imaging. It also sounds very natural to me. It does have a lot of lower to mid treble though. The upper mids are not shouty though.

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #892 of 2,101
Sometimes I use my KSC75 for metal :sweat_smile:

I like the fit of it compared to IEMs

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #893 of 2,101
Sometimes I use my KSC75 for metal :sweat_smile:

I like the fit of it compared to IEMs

LOL jeez those bring me back. I remember loving these guys with my old CD player and a Static-X CD in there...

1612615897958.png

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #894 of 2,101
UPDATE: So the FD5 came in. For now I'm just using them totally stock with the regular nozzles and the medium white "balanced" tips, into a BTR5. Nothing fancy.

In a word, dayum. Coming from the Believe, it's a definite upgrade, but since I was already acclimated to the single-DD beryllium sound, it wasn't as much of a "holy hell" moment as it might have been otherwise. I'm not going to comment too much on the hyper-technicals like decay and speed because I'm not good enough to really comment on things like that, all I can do is relate how it sounds in more "emotional" terms, so here's a handful of tracks to give my thoughts.

Tar Pond - Damn: I use this to test general "power". This is some thick, heavy doomy sludge, but it starts off with an acoustic guitar and simple vocals. The opening minute or so is nice and soft, but oh boy when the song thunders open it's like a sledgehammer. It's exactly what I wanted. The bass is heavy, powerful, but not bloated. Yes. So far so good.

Archspire - Involuntary Doppelganger: Some tech death to see if things get confused and nope not even a little bit. Being able to clearly find the bass line and each of the tom hits is pretty effing impressive. Something that goes this quickly is easy to either turn into a blur of noise or lose the heaviness for the sake of clarity. Neither a problem here.

Paysage D'Hiver - Welt aus Eis: A paper-thin black metal track to test out if it hurts. It doesn't. Actually this might be the least abrasive Paysage has sounded without losing what makes the band so damn good. For the first time I feel like I can really turn it up without it sounding artificially bottom-heavy.

Soen - Lotus: And finishing off with something proggy to let it sound musical. Not sure what to say, just that this was a very pleasant, spacious experience. Smooth as anything.

I know it sounds like I'm glowing, so let's qualify with the downsides. Single-DD, so if you need mega separation it's not here. You don't have that feeling that each instrument is being played from a different source that you can get with hybrids or multi-BA arrangements. The soundstage isn't gargantuan (even if it's damn big for an IEM). I didn't play with the tips a bunch but I can see these being too bassy for a number of people. I don't even know why they did the replaceable nozzles, honestly, especially since the thin ones ONLY come with two sets of triple-flange tips, so you can't customize the sound on that end at all.

I'll finish with this: if the Believe hadn't given me those issues with the filters, I wouldn't have bought the FD5. If I'd sampled a set after having a perfectly functioning Believe, I'd have been fairly content with sticking with what I had even though the FD5 is a clear upgrade. The Believe gets you nearly all the way there, just with a closer soundstage and a much less reliable fit (I had to readjust the Believe constantly). If you're someone with a Believe and you're uneasy with spending the extra on the FD5, I say keep the Believe and be happy. If you're waffling between the Believe and FD5 and the extra $120 isn't going to break your wallet, go for the FD5 and be happy.

I think this is right at the tipping point where spending any more stops offering as much of a benefit for the amount spent, and since I am not going over $500 for IEMs again, for the time being my journey is complete. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. Time to bang my head until my neck hurts lol.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #895 of 2,101
UPDATE: So the FD5 came in. For now I'm just using them totally stock with the regular nozzles and the medium white "balanced" tips, into a BTR5. Nothing fancy.

In a word, dayum. Coming from the Believe, it's a definite upgrade, but since I was already acclimated to the single-DD beryllium sound, it wasn't as much of a "holy hell" moment as it might have been otherwise. I'm not going to comment too much on the hyper-technicals like decay and speed because I'm not good enough to really comment on things like that, all I can do is relate how it sounds in more "emotional" terms, so here's a handful of tracks to give my thoughts.

Tar Pond - Damn: I use this to test general "power". This is some thick, heavy doomy sludge, but it starts off with an acoustic guitar and simple vocals. The opening minute or so is nice and soft, but oh boy when the song thunders open it's like a sledgehammer. It's exactly what I wanted. The bass is heavy, powerful, but not bloated. Yes. So far so good.

Archspire - Involuntary Doppelganger: Some tech death to see if things get confused and nope not even a little bit. Being able to clearly find the bass line and each of the tom hits is pretty effing impressive. Something that goes this quickly is easy to either turn into a blur of noise or lose the heaviness for the sake of clarity. Neither a problem here.

Paysage D'Hiver - Welt aus Eis: A paper-thin black metal track to test out if it hurts. It doesn't. Actually this might be the least abrasive Paysage has sounded without losing what makes the band so damn good. For the first time I feel like I can really turn it up without it sounding artificially bottom-heavy.

Soen - Lotus: And finishing off with something proggy to let it sound musical. Not sure what to say, just that this was a very pleasant, spacious experience. Smooth as anything.

I know it sounds like I'm glowing, so let's qualify with the downsides. Single-DD, so if you need mega separation it's not here. You don't have that feeling that each instrument is being played from a different source that you can get with hybrids or multi-BA arrangements. The soundstage isn't gargantuan (even if it's damn big for an IEM). I didn't play with the tips a bunch but I can see these being too bassy for a number of people. I don't even know why they did the replaceable nozzles, honestly, especially since the thin ones ONLY come with two sets of triple-flange tips, so you can't customize the sound on that end at all.

I'll finish with this: if the Believe hadn't given me those issues with the filters, I wouldn't have bought the FD5. If I'd sampled a set after having a perfectly functioning Believe, I'd have been fairly content with sticking with what I had even though the FD5 is a clear upgrade. The Believe gets you nearly all the way there, just with a closer soundstage and a much less reliable fit (I had to readjust the Believe constantly). If you're someone with a Believe and you're uneasy with spending the extra on the FD5, I say keep the Believe and be happy. If you're waffling between the Believe and FD5 and the extra $120 isn't going to break your wallet, go for the FD5 and be happy.

I think this is right at the tipping point where spending any more stops offering as much of a benefit for the amount spent, and since I am not going over $500 for IEMs again, for the time being my journey is complete. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. Time to bang my head until my neck hurts lol.

FD5 changes a lot after 100 hours of burn in. Also tips make a lot of difference. I wasn't thrilled after a first listen but now I have to admit they grew on me. ATM they my daily driver.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #896 of 2,101
FD5 changes a lot after 100 hours of burn in. Also tips make a lot of difference. I wasn't thrilled after a first listen but now I have to admit they grew on me. ATM they my daily driver.

Which are you using now? These are 100% my daily driver I just think the Believe already had me ready for the magic of beryllium lol.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #897 of 2,101
Which are you using now? These are 100% my daily driver I just think the Believe already had me ready for the magic of beryllium lol.

FD5 of course. Re-listeming my 50.000 song mobile collection, V50 + BTR5 balanced, that bass is so addictive.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #898 of 2,101
FD5 of course. Re-listeming my 50.000 song mobile collection, V50 + BTR5 balanced, that bass is so addictive.

Haha I mean which tips. Just curious what's been working for you. The stock whites are so damn good that I haven't really sat and fiddled with the others aside from the foams or my old ePro Horns.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #899 of 2,101
Feb 6, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #900 of 2,101
Anyone know some good foam tips? I love how the Foam tips of the FD5 enhance bass, but they are all too big for my ears. Are there thinner ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back