IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
post-16134980
Post #841 of 843

adave485

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello!
I currently have the Sony mh755 and I'm looking for an upgrade under $150.
But a quick disclaimer-- I'm not much of an audiophile

I'm currently looking at the Etymotic ER3SE at $75, Etymotic ER4SR at $140, Etymotic ER2SE at $60, and the new Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro at $150. Which one of these would be the best for metal? Or are there any other better options for this price range? Or should I just stick with the mh755 that I got for $7 instead of upgrading?

My setup is the Samsung S20 FE (I still need to buy a dongle) and Spotify at their highest bitrate.

And I typically listen to stuff with fast drumming like Mgła, Misþyrming, Taake, Zhrine, Alcest, Moonsorrow, Behemoth, and Blood Incantation.. But I also listen to some rock and lesser extreme metal bands like Staind, Queens of the Stone Age, Smashing Pumpkins (90's albums), Megadeth, Porcupine Tree, Karnivool, Devin Townsend, Sabaton, and Falconer

Any help is much appreciated!

post-16135096
Post #842 of 843

IEMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm currently looking at the Etymotic ER3SE at $75, Etymotic ER4SR at $140, Etymotic ER2SE at $60, and the new Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro at $150. Which one of these would be the best for metal? Or are there any other better options for this price range? Or should I just stick with the mh755 that I got for $7 instead of upgrading?

My setup is the Samsung S20 FE (I still need to buy a dongle) and Spotify at their highest bitrate.

And I typically listen to stuff with fast drumming like Mgła, Misþyrming, Taake, Zhrine, Alcest, Moonsorrow, Behemoth, and Blood Incantation.. But I also listen to some rock and lesser extreme metal bands like Staind, Queens of the Stone Age, Smashing Pumpkins (90's albums), Megadeth, Porcupine Tree, Karnivool, Devin Townsend, Sabaton, and Falconer

Be warned that the SE/SR versions of Etymotic IEMs are reference tuned, and have very little bass, especially if coming from the MH755. Just curious where you are finding those prices?

Some of my go-to recommendations for metal are:
- Shozy Form 1.1, if you like a warm and bassy sound signature. The bass is fast enough for metal IMO.
- KZ BA10 if you want a more detailed and IEM, but still with potent BA bass.
- If really wanting an Etymotic, I would recommend the ER3XR for more speed, but a bit darker, or the ER2XR for deeper bass, a more natural sound, and more treble. The ER4XR is of course a great option as well.

post-16135290
Post #843 of 843

SomeGuyDude

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Hello!

You have good musical taste!

For your musical tastes and budget the ThieAudio Legacy 3 is my first thought. They're really good all-rounders and easy to drive, can handle black metal exceptionally well to my ears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 7)