IEM / Earphones while in bed
Jan 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Llloyd

500+ Head-Fier
Alright maybe this sounds like a weird request, but I've been looking and I haven't found anything suitable for this situation.  I usually like to wear my re0 in bed, and whatever I had before then, but when i turn on my side obvously there is a pressure that jams the tip into my ear canal.

I was wondering if there was any solution to this either in a different earphone / iem or some sort of workaround so I could roll around freely in bed without losing sound quality?  I know this is a weird request but it's a huge annoyance to me and I love headphones in bed.

Any suggestions? :D

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 36
Phonaks are pretty comfortable and fit nicely.  They don't hurt much when laying down.  If you can get a good fit with the MEE M6s, those are also a good idea as well.

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 36
I do not wear earphones in bed, but I cannot imagine the UM3X being uncomfortable -- they fit very flush, so even if you roll over you should not poke yourself.

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 36
Both Phonaks and Westone UM3X are pretty good for side sleeping.  I also use Yuin PK3 buds for that purpose, and they are not expensive so I don't worry about damaging them if I fall asleep.

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 36
as far as the um3x goes, i'm assuming the westone 4 has the same design?  I was thinking about picking a westone 4 up eventually anyway so that would work out very well.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 36

Quote:
Klipsch X10 is a good choice.

Really?  I don't own them, nor have I heard them, but they don't look like they would be comfortable to wear laying on the side (or if you were to toss to the side).  I'd imagine some sort of discomfort from the housing digging into your ear :p  Of course, I can be wrong, I don't own them (or have any experience with them :p)

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 36
If you have medium to large ear canals, the Grado GR8/10 and UE 700 would work.  If you want something on the same design as the Westones, you might want to venture down the ladder to the 2 or 1 since the housing is smaller over the 3 (including um3x) and 4.  Another option is to get custom IEM, which has the least amount of compromises, but the most amount of isolation. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 36

Quote:

Really?  I don't own them, nor have I heard them, but they don't look like they would be comfortable to wear laying on the side (or if you were to toss to the side).  I'd imagine some sort of discomfort from the housing digging into your ear :p  Of course, I can be wrong, I don't own them (or have any experience with them :p)

I agree and I've owned it. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 36
No go on the X10s for me. Because of the way the tips go in (at an angle), the base of the housing and the wires come out pretty far from the head. Plus, the cable doesn't seem very durable :)

The SHE3580s on the hand, seems to be pretty comfortable.

Quote:
Klipsch X10 is a good choice.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 36

Quote:
If you have medium to large ear canals, the Grado GR8/10 and UE 700 would work.  If you want something on the same design as the Westones, you might want to venture down the ladder to the 2 or 1 since the housing is smaller over the 3 (including um3x) and 4.  Another option is to get custom IEM, which has the least amount of compromises, but the most amount of isolation. 

I was thinking of the custom route, I was just worried that it would hurt instead of the ear canal, just all around the area where the iem fits in.  For a very long time I've wanted customs though.  Thanks for all the feedback so far by the way, I'll definitely be looking into all of your recommendations and seeing if I can sample some of them.  I'm open to any suggestion.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 36
I have Westone ES5s that I sleep on my side with at night and there is a little bit of extra pressure but not anything more uncomfortable than getting used to having customs in your ears in the first place.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 36
No go on the X10s for me. Because of the way the tips go in (at an angle), the base of the housing and the wires come out pretty far from the head. Plus, the cable doesn't seem very durable :)

The SHE3580s on the hand, seems to be pretty comfortable.

Second the Philips SHE3580. These are low profile in every sense of the word, from the tiny size to the dimunitive price (yours for $10 or less). They‘re my avatar picture--check out the size of the tips compared to the size of the phones. The sound they pack on the other hand... just chwck out the ongoing Isurus / SHE3580 thread for peoples‘ impressions. :cool: Personally I don't roll around or fall asleep while listening to music in bed but I've used them as earplugs once and I fell asleep and rolled all over them no problems. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back