IEM dilemma...*purchased custom 3*
Aug 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ZeNmAc

100+ Head-Fier
Skip to last post...

I tried to keep this short, but that didn't exactly work (Curse you english 100
tongue.gif
).  Start at bold for shorter version.

A while ago after reading tons of reviews and comparisons I decided I'd buy some SA6's after my birthday so I could get them for vacation.  A few days ago I went to order them only to find them out of stock at J&R.  The only ones I found were for $200, which I believe is more than they're worth (or there are better options for 200, correct me if I'm wrong).

Here's the thing, we're leaving for vacation 8/20 (9 days from now) and I'd really like to get some IEM's by then that will last a while.

I currently have NE-7M's which drive me crazy.  Terrible frequency response, mid peak messes with my ear resonance, and most importantly I can't get a good seal.  The two sides are always uneven which makes me have to constantly adjust them the whole time I'm wearing them (and the left side usually slips out every 30 seconds or so).  I've tried the shure tips, but those almost seal too well to the point that they create pressure between the driver and eardrum.  Then they slip out.  Even when they are in, they sound good, but mids still are terrible.

My point with that, is that my ears are obviously sensitive to the fit of the iem.  I read the SA6 are easy to get in and aren't picky about fit.

tl;dr version:  Looking to get IEM's by 8/20.  SA6 are $200 now.  My NE7M's have terrrible mids and picky fit.

Budget is ~$150 but that is very flexible.  I'd rather keep it under 200.  It would be better if it was from amazon since I can get faster shipping.  I wouldn't mind used.
Source will be an 30GB Ipod 5.5g.
Looking for neutral frequency response, good isolation, and something that isn't hard to get a good seal with (and even in both ears, uneven sound bothers me).  I listen to metal, rock, and some classical/soundtrack.  Preferably fast bass that can keep up with metal (most of what I listen to).  If anything more bass is better than more treble.  I'll be using them on vacation for freeway driving so I'd want isolation and if anything slightly bass heavy so I can hear it over road noise (but not loads of bass, I could always use the EQ).  For reference, I have some M50's that are amazing IMO, and sound neutral out of my ipod and onboard sound (slightly bass heavy out of a better source, the only one I've tried was an asus xonar d1).

From what I've been reading other possibilities are HF5 or ER4P, RE252, DBA-02, or perhaps used UM3X.

I've read ER4P are unrealistic sounding because of quick decay I believe.
RE252 and DBA-02 might not get here in a week.
UM3X might not get here in time, I'd have to find some for cheap on here, and I've never bought anything on here before.
SA6 are still a possibility if you think they're my best option and usually sell for $200.

Last possibility, I could wait and just suffer with headphones and in ears I have through vacation to make sure I get something I'll be happy with.

Does anyone have experience with the fit of any of those?  All of the few IEM's I've tried were hard to get a good seal with, you can see the thread I made here.  So naturally getting an even seal is very important to me, as well as not getting terrible mid resonance between 1-2khz.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and thanks for the help.  Any other recommendations are appreciated.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 12
If I order from amazon I can get it in a couple business days.  Amazon prime 2 day shipping free, overnight for $4.

I probably will end up doing that, but I'm just going to order some when I get back anyway.  I use IEM's a lot at school which will be starting shortly after we get back.  Music is required for calculus homework
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 12
Westone 2, Radius DDM, HJE900, RE-ZERO, GR8, EX700 and MTP Copper(highely recommended)........

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
klipsch custom 3 ,fit your requirements are hard to beat in that price range for sound quality

I just got my custom 3's and I am blown away; however, I havent owned many high quality iems but I have had some pretty damn good over ears at home and in studios that I still think the klipsch can hold their own to

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I just got my custom 3's and I am blown away; however, I havent owned many high quality iems but I have had some pretty damn good over ears at home and in studios that I still think the klipsch can hold their own to

How do they fit?  Is it easy to get an even seal in both sides?  (Even compared to cheap ones you had before).

Like I said, I've had that trouble with every (low end) IEM I've owned.

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 12
I decided on the custom 3's.  They just came today
ksc75smile.gif
.  $115 with 2 day shipping, I guess you guys saved me about 100 bucks...

Thankfully they have solved my worst problems.  Fit fine, even seal is easy to achieve.  No mid peak thankfully.  Now on to nitpicking
rolleyes.gif

I wasn't expecting this much bass.  I think it'll be good for in the car, but its enough to make me turn down the volume.

Other than that, my M50's sound better as far as treble and overall frequency response.  It may be too early to judge, but to me the custom 3's seem to pick up little details, but strangely enough the vocals sound muffled sometimes and the treble is much quieter than the M50's.  I'm not sure muffled is the right word (veiled or maybe colored), but they don't sound as clear as the M50's do.  Like all headphones, slower songs with less instruments sounds better, only it seems to a greater extent with these.  Slower songs sound beautiful and I'm hearing things I haven't heard (at least as well) before in them, but faster, harder songs lose that same clarity.

Don't get me wrong, they sound amazing, my ears just need some time to adjust.  Anyway, that's my initial impression.  I'm not sure about them yet, but I know they're exactly what I need at the moment.

Just in case you're wondering, they own the NE-7M's which is all that matters
tongue.gif
.  Man those things were becoming torture to me as strange as that may seem
redface.gif
(listening to music becoming torture).  Kind of like being beaten with a stick while eating the most delicious cake.  I won't miss fighting with those over my whole vacation
biggrin.gif
.  Thanks for the help guys!

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Congrats on your purchase, the Custom 3 is a killer value for the $100ish it's going for now. I previously owned one, and it was the most comfortable (the oval gels FTW) over-the-ear IEM i've ever had, and the SQ was even better than the Shure SE530 IMO. I did have to sell them off though, due to durability issues.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 12
I just got back from vacation.  I have mixed feelings about these now.  They have amazing isolation, fit is easy thanks to the oval eartips and over ear design.  Mids don't resonate in my ear
biggrin.gif
, but they are slightly colored (warm).

The bad part, as I thought earlier, there's a ton of bass.  Mids seem too laid back (i.e. quiet compared to bass), and treble seems very laid back, not quite recessed but it is still present and clear if you listen for it.  Both treble and mids are lacking in quantity, but they are still there and very detailed.  I read a review that described the KC3 as sounding 'thick'.  It's strange, they bring out subtle details, but their frequency response makes them sound thick.  It's hard to describe, but the colored sound sometimes makes them sound lifeless for lack of a better word.

Of course they sound great, they even bring out subtle details that are hard to hear on my M50, but I can't help noticing how my M50's sound better because they sound more neutral.  Whenever I put them on I can't help but notice the treble standing out and the overall balance of the sound.  Of course the soundstage is slightly bigger, but even without that advantage they'd sound better because of the balance.

So it brings up my next dilemma, should I return these and get something else while I still can, or just stick with these?  Is there anything in my price range that will be able to match the neutral frequency response of the M50 (and fit and everything that I mentioned in the OP)?  I have a feeling if I just put up with them, later on I might not be happy with them and buy something else; on the other hand if I buy something else I might be fighting with them to get a seal
confused_face_2.gif
.  What about dba-02 or er-4p?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to say my M50's are perfect or even ideal, they have their flaws, but they just happen to sound better in the areas I mentioned than the KC3.

This IEM world is so confusing!
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back