IE8 Lost... What now?
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
So i've read about the isolation on the Sony's but at that level of no isolation, who cares lol, it's like being asked if you'd rather be shot in the head or in the chest. The Isolates better enough to be worthwhile. I was able to listen to the IE8 on the subway at less than ear damaging volume. Personally I'd love to recommend the FX700 to anyone for any reason lol, just to own it.
The GR07's are unique in that it's the only IEM that I can't AB without needing to get used to them again. I put then in my ears right after the ASG-1 and I think man these sound flat and bass light. Listen for about 20 minutes and then think what the hell was I talking about. So I had to rely on separate listening.
I have to say, from my notes, the FX700 mids were phenomenal, they could hold up the entire IEM by themselves if they weren't recessed relative to the bass and treble. Smooth but very detailed, with just the right weight and energy to them from end to end. They somehow got around the problem of that many iEM's with recessed have in that they didn't feel flat.
Lol enjoy. They are probably the most comfortable IEM I've ever tried just past the GR07. Curiously, why not the IE80?

I agree the IE8/IE80s are more ideal for isolation but I still don't find it a huge difference in comparison the FX700 but you do have a point. Regarding the phenomena with your GR07 I get that all the time with my IEMs. Well more so when going back to the MDR-7550s it takes me a good hour to get back into their sound which is completely unacceptable. They have to go :wink:. Once I'm back into their sound they sound really good though but until then they sound almost lifeless and small in comparison to my 1Plus2s :p. Still I much preferred them to even the GR07 but next to my 1Plus2s just a no contest....
mad.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #17 of 26
Lol enjoy. They are probably the most comfortable IEM I've ever tried just past the GR07. Curiously, why not the IE80?

Just because i think the IE80 have kind of an ugly silver housing. And then i've read that the overall bass of the IE80 is weaker.

The IE8 is more expensive than the IE80 here in Switzerland... I guess it gonna be sold out soon.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:
Just because i think the IE80 have kind of an ugly silver housing. And then i've read that the overall bass of the IE80 is weaker.
The IE8 is more expensive than the IE80 here in Switzerland... I guess it gonna be sold out soon.

I wouldn't say weaker bass. The bass is more controlled. You get less mid bass (which IMO is the IE8s weakness, too much bloated mid bass). In turn you get more sub bass emphasis, clearer mids and clearer treble. The sound stage is  a little smaller but in return you get more detail and intimacy in the mids. :) A nice upgrade IMO. Plus you add silver cable and do the tape mod and these IEMs are very hard to beat in the $500.00 range.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #20 of 26
No silver cable is not as soft as the original cable. It has the potential to be more durable though (sturdier). Silver cable adds more treble detail, makes mids more forward and bass becomes tighter (leaner). The sound stage also gets a tad bigger. The tape mod covers the bass ports on the IE8/IE80 and it dramatically reduces mid bass. Pretty much what you are left with is very balanced mid bass with lots of sub bass emphasis and slam. The sound stage is about the same size still just you don't get the artificial sense that the mid bass bloat gave. If the track calls for a lot of bass, you'll have a lot of bass. If it calls for less bass, you'll have less bass. If the track calls for a large sound stage, you'll have a large sound stage. The IEM will be truer to the source. Overall very balanced. Mids become very detailed and mid centric, treble also becomes very detailed. The IE80 are no longer laid back with this mod. Very much balanced and detailed. They also gain speed. So I find they work with all music, even busy and fast tracks. Before on dubstep not so good. After the mod very good on dub step (as well as rock).

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
The GR07 are pretty close to IE8 in term of bass impact, larger soundstage and overall are very detailed in mids, highs.

not sure how you came with that conclusion.you must have a very special pair of gr07. no way i would rank Gr07 in the same level as ie8 especially not soundstage.
i am one of the early adopters of the GR07 and i would rank it just "good". for the $140 i paid for them, they are really good but i certainly wont be satisfied having them as my only iem due to their faults(mainly mids,soundstage and imaging).

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #22 of 26
not sure how you came with that conclusion.you must have a very special pair of gr07. no way i would rank Gr07 in the same level as ie8 especially not soundstage.
i am one of the early adopters of the GR07 and i would rank it just "good". for the $140 i paid for them, they are really good but i certainly wont be satisfied having them as my only iem due to their faults(mainly mids,soundstage and imaging).

Maybe mine were special too. Or your IE8 is special =)
I had the IE8 for a month. Soundstage on the IE8 was bigger with more forward projection but it wasn't so drastic that I'd lose sleep over it. If imaging was better than the GR07 then it wasn't enough for me to even put it in my notes. They were close enough in sound quality and presentation that I'd be fine with either replacing each other.

The only part of your comment that I really found odd was about the mids. What was the glaring problem you found with the mids on the GR07? Except the sibilance which I normally attribute to the lower treble, the mids were some of the best I have heard, excellent weight and texture; maybe lacking a bit of energy but that's more by design than a concession. They were alive within the soundspace. The mids on the IE8 were forgettable in comparison. What the IE8 actually did a bit better than the GR07 that I thought was worth writing down was the treble. Great extension and presence without being harsh.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:
Maybe mine were special too. Or your IE8 is special =)
I had the IE8 for a month. Soundstage on the IE8 was bigger with more forward projection but it wasn't so drastic that I'd lose sleep over it. If imaging was better than the GR07 then it wasn't enough for me to even put it in my notes. They were close enough in sound quality and presentation that I'd be fine with either replacing each other.
The only part of your comment that I really found odd was about the mids. What was the glaring problem you found with the mids on the GR07? Except the sibilance which I normally attribute to the lower treble, the mids were some of the best I have heard, excellent weight and texture; maybe lacking a bit of energy but that's more by design than a concession. They were alive within the soundspace. The mids on the IE8 were forgettable in comparison. What the IE8 actually did a bit better than the GR07 that I thought was worth writing down was the treble. Great extension and presence without being harsh.

Winter if you have an opportunity do yourself a favor. Get silver cable for your IE8 and do the tape mod to them. Completely blows the GR07 out of the water. Not comparable at all IMO. From the treble, to mids, to bass all superior on the IE80. They become mid centric yet very balanced in all three frequencies. Not laid back at all after the modification. Still I've moved on to better things but I can confidently say they are one of the top choices and the best all-arounders in the $500.00 range. They went from being pretty good at all genres to being damn good at pretty much all genres of music. Before I did have some issues with Rock & Dubstep. They lacked speed and the mid bass bloat was just too much. The mid bass bloat was really the culprit and crippled these little gems :wink:.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
@lee730:

any links to the tape mod?

Simply place a small piece of tape over both bass adjuster ports on the IE8/IE80. Thats all there is to it. Really kills the mid bass and makes them very balanced. I also noticed sub bass increased within a few days of usage with the mod in place. More impact/slam. Treble becomes quite a bit more detailed and the mids are very detailed after the mod.... The sound stage is about the same in size still but you don't get the false sense of size due to bloated mid bass anymore. It will be more dependent on the actual track. So if the track has a big sound stage you'll have a big sound stage. If it has lots of bass, you'll have lots of bass. So more true to the source in the end.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:
Simply place a small piece of tape over both bass adjuster ports on the IE8/IE80. Thats all there is to it. Really kills the mid bass and makes them very balanced. I also noticed sub bass increased within a few days of usage with the mod in place. More impact/slam. Treble becomes quite a bit more detailed and the mids are very detailed after the mod.... The sound stage is about the same in size still but you don't get the false sense of size due to bloated mid bass anymore. It will be more dependent on the actual track. So if the track has a big sound stage you'll have a big sound stage. If it has lots of bass, you'll have lots of bass. So more true to the source in the end.

Thanks for the tape mode suggestion, will try it :)___ IE8 overall are moderately more warm sounding, I mean the tracks in a car with nice speakers have more impact on clarity or natural sound wise than IE8(think guiar or female voice). I absolutely love to hear soundtracks on them before sleep but I want another IEM which have same isolation and comfort and soundtage but bass could be a little low I keep mine closer to 3 and more clarity at range from $200-300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back