IE8 Lost... What now?
Dec 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

amilopowers

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

i unfortunately lost my Sennheiser IE8 with custom earpads yesterday. I feel very sad right now.

Since i was really happy with it i am considering to buy the same ones again. But they where expensive since i wasn't happy with the original pads. Until i have a new pair of in ears i use my old SE 315 which has a slack joint (i guess even multiples).

As i mentioned before i really used to love the Sennheisers but why not upgrade in a case like that? 

What i loved or not with my previous headphones:

Shure SE315
Pro: Since it was my first "audiophile" headphone i was pretty impressed with it. Good for sports. Edit: Good isolation.
Cons: Poor bass and soundstage, heavy

Sennheiser IE8
Pro: Soundstage, Bass
Cons: Very poor isolation, Wind noise because of the sharp edges when windy weather or riding the bicycle. 

I would love to have a headphone which can keep all the good points of the previous ones but can solve the drawbacks. Sports (wind influences) is not that important, since i can still use my SE315 for sports.

My music preferences are i different genres. See my last.fm library: http://www.last.fm/user/amilopowers/library

I would say: Electronic, Rock, Indie Pop/Rock and some rap (not really important) 

I thought about these units (not closing i am open for recommendations i don't know yet):

1. Phonak Audéo PFE 232
  2. Shure SE535
  3. Sennheiser IE8
  4. Edit: Ultimate Ears UE900
  5. your recommendation? 

It has to be driven by an iPhone 5! 

I hope you can help me to find the best IEM. Every advice is appreciated!
Cheers amilopowers

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 26
When I auditioned the IE8 against my GR07 I thought to myself, if I all of a sudden had to stick with the IE8 instead, I would be fine with that. I mean that in regard to general sound quality which I thought was very close.

The IE8 had much more midbass and a more cavernous sound, but less clarity as a result. It was a tradeoff in preference really against the GR07.

You could also look into the Aurisonics ASG-1 which has in my opinion better quality bass than the IE8 with maybe just a smidge less quantity. The ASG-1 driver has a lot of headroom though so I don't see adding bass as a problem and it also has a unique and large soundstage with better imaging. It is a darker sound though with a much less prominent top end. The ASG-2 is coming out in January though and it balances out the signature adding drivers for the top end. Check out the Aurisoncs Appreciation thread if you're interested.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 26
Thank you for your advice. Both are looking great. This makes my decision even harder. 

The bad thing about the ASG-1 is that it is only available in the US. The ASG-2 seems to be way more expensive than the 1. 

Btw: After months of listening to an IE8 the SE315 sounds awful. Maybe i shouldn't take the SE535...?

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:
I have now a Phonak Audéo PFE 232. it has never the bass warmth of the Sennheiser IE8! Since i am still in the 30 days return time i gonna return them. I'll try the Aurisonics.

JVC FX700s are also really good if you love bass and treble (maybe consider the FX800 as they are the new model and supposedly improved treble and bass). Even more detailed than IE8. But V shaped so it depends if you like the signature. Or go for the IE80s which is better than IE8.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 26
I'm pretty sure Aurisonics ships outside of America but you might need to call them and if I remember right, someone said it was around $50 which is steep. The price of the ASG-2 is high because it's using both a specially designed dynamic driver and specially designed dual balanced armatures, a 3 driver hybrid IEM. It's custom version brother, the AS-2, using the same driver array has been said from those who have heard them to to compete at the absolute top tier of customs. And since you had the PFE232 on your list, I figured they would be within your price range. The problem is that no one has heard the final product which comes out in about a month. But the design is very similar to the ASG-1 which is about the most isolating universal IEM I've heard.

JVC FX700s are also really good if you love bass and treble (maybe consider the FX800 as they are the new model and supposedly improved treble and bass). Even more detailed than IE8. But V shaped so it depends if you like the signature. Or go for the IE80s which is better than IE8.

The FX700 are pretty much the least isolating pair of IEMs I've ever heard.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Aurisonics ships outside of America but you might need to call them and if I remember right, someone said it was around $50 which is steep. The price of the ASG-2 is high because it's using both a specially designed dynamic driver and specially designed dual balanced armatures, a 3 driver hybrid IEM. It's custom version brother, the AS-2, using the same driver array has been said from those who have heard them to to compete at the absolute top tier of customs. And since you had the PFE232 on your list, I figured they would be within your price range. The problem is that no one has heard the final product which comes out in about a month. But the design is very similar to the ASG-1 which is about the most isolating universal IEM I've heard.
The FX700 are pretty much the least isolating pair of IEMs I've ever heard.

The MDR-7550s and EX1000s isolation is just as bad if not worse than the FX700s. The IE80s isolation is slightly better than the FX700 but not a big difference. One reason why i recommended the FX700s if he doesn't mind a V-shaped sound.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 26
The GR07 are pretty close to IE8 in term of bass impact, larger soundstage and overall are very detailed in mids, highs. JVC FX700, EX1000 are also present large soundstage, good bass response(FX700 are warm and offers deep reverbing bass with crisp clear mids and extended highs).

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:
The GR07 are pretty close to IE8 in term of bass impact, larger soundstage and overall are very detailed in mids, highs. JVC FX700, EX1000 are also present large soundstage, good bass response(FX700 are warm and offers deep reverbing bass with crisp clear mids and extended highs).

I don't agree at all on the sound staging. The IE8s make the GR07 feel closed in and in your head in comparison. The EX1000s have a very wide sound stage but lacks depth and height in comparison to its width so it feels very narrow (thinner notes). Bass is extremely good on them but lacking in quantity. The treble was just horrible for me and destroyed it (major treble spikes). The FX700 mids are quite recessed in comparison to its treble and bass when you turn the volume up which was my problem with them.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 26
Good luck hopefully this experience will help you from making the same mistake in the future. It sucks to lose expensive gear.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 26
The MDR-7550s and EX1000s isolation is just as bad if not worse than the FX700s. The IE80s isolation is slightly better than the FX700 but not a big difference. One reason why i recommended the FX700s if he doesn't mind a V-shaped sound.

So i've read about the isolation on the Sony's but at that level of no isolation, who cares lol, it's like being asked if you'd rather be shot in the head or in the chest. The Isolates better enough to be worthwhile. I was able to listen to the IE8 on the subway at less than ear damaging volume. Personally I'd love to recommend the FX700 to anyone for any reason lol, just to own it.

I don't agree at all on the sound staging. The IE8s make the GR07 feel closed in and in your head in comparison. The EX1000s have a very wide sound stage but lacks depth and height in comparison to its width so it feels very narrow (thinner notes). Bass is extremely good on them but lacking in quantity. The treble was just horrible for me and destroyed it (major treble spikes). The FX700 mids are quite recessed in comparison to its treble and bass when you turn the volume up which was my problem with them.

The GR07's are unique in that it's the only IEM that I can't AB without needing to get used to them again. I put then in my ears right after the ASG-1 and I think man these sound flat and bass light. Listen for about 20 minutes and then think what the hell was I talking about. So I had to rely on separate listenings.

I have to say, from my notes, the FX700 mids were phenomenal, they could hold up the entire IEM by themselves if they weren't recessed relative to the bass and treble. Smooth but very detailed, with just the right weight and energy to them from end to end. They somehow got around the problem of that many iEM's with recessed have in that they didn't feel flat.

Thanks guys but i ordered another IE8 so i know what i get. 

Lol enjoy. They are probably the most comfortable IEM I've ever tried just past the GR07. Curiously, why not the IE80?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back