iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Aug 1, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #3,962 of 4,252
That's what I thought, however, both my XC and 3's go to the same spot on the volume knob. Which seems off to me.
Nothing off about it.

One simply has to learn about something called "Ohm's Law" and all is made clear.

The LCD-XC is a 20 ohm headphone whereas the LCD-3 is a 110 ohm headphone.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,963 of 4,252
Nothing off about it.

One simply has to learn about something called "Ohm's Law" and all is made clear.

The LCD-XC is a 20 ohm headphone whereas the LCD-3 is a 110 ohm headphone.

I thought I had an understanding of Ohms law but I could be completely wrong. Care to explain how headphones of two different Ohms, one high and one low, would be at the same spot on the volume knob? I tend to listen to both on Turbo mode with the dial at 10 o'clock.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #3,964 of 4,252
I'll let someone else answer the Ohms Law question. Imagine it is the combo of impedance and sensitivity if I had to take a guess.

But unless you are hearing major sonic differences in Turbo mode, that you are only going to 10 o'clock on the volume dial is another indicator that Turbo mode may not be necessary. But trust your ears on that, not us bozoz.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #3,965 of 4,252
I have the iSilec
I thought I had an understanding of Ohms law but I could be completely wrong. Care to explain how headphones of two different Ohms, one high and one low, would be at the same spot on the volume knob? I tend to listen to both on Turbo mode with the dial at 10 o'clock.

you also need to take into account driver efficiency. I use normal on both the 13 ohm Aeon Flows and 300 ohm HD6XX at generally the same position of potentiometer knob.

I can't recall the exact units, its usually like dB / RMS power or something.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #3,966 of 4,252
I'll let someone else answer the Ohms Law question. Imagine it is the combo of impedance and sensitivity if I had to take a guess.

But unless you are hearing major sonic differences in Turbo mode, that you are only going to 10 o'clock on the volume dial is another indicator that Turbo mode may not be necessary. But trust your ears on that, not us bozoz.

You're probably right with that Turbo isn't necessary. I was under the impression that planar headphones required more watts so I thought Turbo would be the best option.

Normal definitely works, I just noticed that the bass is much better in Turbo.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #3,967 of 4,252
You're probably right with that Turbo isn't necessary. I was under the impression that planar headphones required more watts so I thought Turbo would be the best option.

There are many more efficient planars out there now than when they first hit the scene. Gen1 planars like the HE-5, HE-5LE, & LCD-2s needed lots of power (not to mention the notoriously power-hungry HE-6s that need a stereo amp to sound best by many accounts). But since then both HiFiMan and Audeze have been able to make more efficient designs that are less power hungry.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #3,968 of 4,252

Would using it set at normal with the bass boost on work as a option?

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #3,970 of 4,252
'Normal' mode works with bass boost, so that's an option worth giving a shot.
Bass boost works. What I more meant to mean was that in Normal mode the headphones work and get to good volume. However, when Turbo is turned on, the headphones feel like they're getting the power they want to push the bass harder.

In simpler words, the headphones feel like they aren't getting the power they crave in Normal and only do so in Turbo.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #3,971 of 4,252
Bass boost works. What I more meant to mean was that in Normal mode the headphones work and get to good volume. However, when Turbo is turned on, the headphones feel like they're getting the power they want to push the bass harder.

In simpler words, the headphones feel like they aren't getting the power they crave in Normal and only do so in Turbo.

I've notice the same thing at times, but I'm not really sure if it's a real difference or just one of perception. Do your headphones consistently feel as if they aren't being fully driven in the bass when in Normal mode? There have been a (very) few times where I'd thought that my HE1000's were seeking more current than "Normal" provided, and breathed easier on Turbo. I haven't noticed that in quite some time, so maybe the 'phones have broken in fully or it was a figment of my imagination. I guess if this were all straightforward then we'd all be listening to that one DAC/amp/headphone that was being produced, because they'd each be the only one needed. So vive la difference and push/twist/flip any controls necessary to get what suits you.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #3,973 of 4,252
I tried the LCD 2C with the DX150 with default Amp6 and they were driven very well IMO. I therefore think the Turbo mode on the BL might be an overkill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back