iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Sep 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #2,086 of 4,252
So if I understand this correct,asio buffer size and playback latency will not have an impact on sound quality but usb streaming mode may have an impact? Can I ask what excactly is happening when we select streaming modes? I dont really undesntand what this option does..

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,087 of 4,252
  So if I understand this correct,asio buffer size and playback latency will not have an impact on sound quality but usb streaming mode may have an impact? Can I ask what exactly is happening when we select streaming modes? I don't really understand what this option does..

The USB Streaming Mode can be set to one of the following values:
• Minimum Latency = 1 millisecond
• Low Latency = 2 milliseconds
• Standard = 4 milliseconds
• Relaxed = 8 milliseconds
• Reliable = 12 milliseconds
• Safe = 16 milliseconds
• Extra Safe = 32 milliseconds
A buffer depth of 1 millisecond is the smallest value supported by the underlying Microsoft bus drivers.

That is about as much I can currently find. You just have to experiment and recheck with the highest sampling rate or DSD to find the stable values. If I am using my DAW I would want the lowest latency I can get away with. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #2,088 of 4,252
Thank you for the detailed and informative answer! I am going to experiment and try to find the optimal solution!

beerchug.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #2,089 of 4,252
  The drawback of large buffers is that stopping, pausing and changes can take longer. Streaming mode does make some difference in sound quality on my I7 4790 with 16 gigs. Some streaming modes like relaxed will not work on my system.  It is really system dependence on what works best. Option like memory playback can make a difference in some cases. My OPPO HA-1 has the same options and a few others makes as well.

I do not hear any sound quality difference when changing the Streaming Mode in iFi application. It may introduce some clicks and gaps when choosing a wrong setting with upsampling from MP3 to DSD sometimes, but the sound quality does not become different. Why would it affect the sound quality?

Sep 26, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #2,090 of 4,252

I do not hear any sound quality difference when changing the Streaming Mode in iFi application. It may introduce some clicks and gaps when choosing a wrong setting with up-sampling from MP3 to DSD sometimes, but the sound quality does not become different. Why would it affect the sound quality?

The streaming mode effects buffer depth in ms. For me there is a bit of an impact on dynamics and clarity of sound when I change streaming mode. Like I said earlier, you might not hear the the difference. If I was working on my DAW applications I want the lowest Latency I can get away with. For music playback I want the best audio quality settings. There is another setting on the iDSD micro the absolute polarity switch which for the life of me I can not hear any differences at all.

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #2,091 of 4,252
Hi,
As per the post by iFi here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-and-the-new-firmware-flavours-are-here-page-138/660#post_10611007
 ... we are only 3dB (0.5 Bit) off a 20 Bit equivalent SNR

So if I read that correctly, that says the iFi Micro iDSD has 19.5 effective bits of resolution?
If so, that's very good for a sub-$500 amp/DAC, eh?!

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,092 of 4,252
I have a micro on loan for audition which has the 5.0 fw.
When I turn the unit off and put my Mac mini to sleep mode, after I wake up the mini and turn on the Micro it can't connect to the computer even if it shows connected in the sound options menu.
I have to unplug and replug the Micro in order to connect.
My iDSD nano does not have this issue (5.0A). It didn't have it even with the older fw.
Will the 5.0B solve the problem? I don't want to install it on the unit because it isn't mine.
I am considering of upgrading but this is a little frustrating inconvenience...
Thnx

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #2,093 of 4,252
  Hi,
As per the post by iFi here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-and-the-new-firmware-flavours-are-here-page-138/660#post_10611007

So if I read that correctly, that says the iFi Micro iDSD has 19.5 effective bits of resolution?
If so, that's very good for a sub-$500 amp/DAC, eh?!

Hi,

Yes. But if one wanted to nit pick, then there are small sample variations (as with all chipsets regardless) so say > 19 Bit ENOB on dynamic range.

We would not know. We just try to make the best product we can - since the micro iDSD was launched last year, nothing has been launched that does DSD512/PCM768 natively. Nevertheless, we still try to keep pushing the boundaries. While we like 'measures good' as much as the next guy, we like it even better if it sounds good.
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 22, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #2,095 of 4,252
I don't have the mojo, but I own both the hugo and iDSD micro.  From what I've read here, the mojo is very similar to the hugo.  The dac section of the micro and hugo are similar to my ears with the hugo sounding slightly more transparent. The amp section of the micro is great, but I find that it can sound a bit harsh and dry in the highs compared to the hugo's headphone out.   For this reason, I run the micro into a ifi ican and it smooths out the highs very nicely without any loss in detail.  I actually prefer this combo over the hugo, but as an all-in-one solution, the hugo wins in my book.     

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #2,096 of 4,252
I don't have the mojo, but I own both the hugo and iDSD micro.  From what I've read here, the mojo is very similar to the hugo.  The dac section of the micro and hugo are similar to my ears with the hugo sounding slightly more transparent. The amp section of the micro is great, but I find that it can sound a bit harsh and dry in the highs compared to the hugo's headphone out.   For this reason, I run the micro into a ifi ican and it smooths out the highs very nicely without any loss in detail.  I actually prefer this combo over the hugo, but as an all-in-one solution, the hugo wins in my book.     
thanks! What concerns me about the idsd micro is the said channel imbalance. I have pretty sensitive headphones (um3x,a83,he400s and k701).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #2,097 of 4,252
You have to use it above 12 o'clock
Otherwise the channel imbalance wont't make you happy

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,098 of 4,252
thanks! What concerns me about the idsd micro is the said channel imbalance. I have pretty sensitive headphones (um3x,a83,he400s and k701).

Why would you be concerned when micro iDSD has IEMatch to ensure that it is the perfect match for sensitive IEMs and others?

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,099 of 4,252
You have to use it above 12 o'clock
Otherwise the channel imbalance wont't make you happy

The micro iDSD has some channel imbalance below about 9 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back