iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Sep 5, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #2,071 of 4,252
Thanks for the response mate! 

Do you know any software player that it can handle such an upsampling?

One more question about jriver,is it a good choice of bit streaming everything (pcm and dsd) with the spdif to the micro or using the blue usb cable is a better choice? I have seen that when I don't bitstram dsd to the dac I can't play dsd files with jriver as it decodes it internaly.Everything plays just fine when I use dsd bitstreaming for dsd. Would it be a good practice to use bitstreaming for pcm too?

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,072 of 4,252
Thanks for the response mate! 

Do you know any software player that it can handle such an upsampling?

One more question about jriver,is it a good choice of bit streaming everything (pcm and dsd) with the spdif to the micro or using the blue usb cable is a better choice? I have seen that when I don't bitstram dsd to the dac I can't play dsd files with jriver as it decodes it internaly.Everything plays just fine when I use dsd bitstreaming for dsd. Would it be a good practice to use bitstreaming for pcm too?

S/P-DIF is an inferior technology. You should be using USB.

You cannot use Direct Sound, Kernel Streaming or WASAPI for DSD. You must use ASIO.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #2,074 of 4,252
Sorry for the so many questions but I am trying to come to an understanding of how this fine device works and its full potential.

I have jriver decode and output everything in native dsd format and it works perfectly with every format excpet 8xdsd.

When i set it to output that is making pop sounds like there is a lag. I have turned up all the latency timmings in jriver and in ifi drivers to the maximum numbers but I can't seem to find a solution.

Any help woud be nice. Cheers!

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #2,075 of 4,252
check and see if you already have this set for buffering

Try a USB3 port if you have one.
8xDSD is very resource intensive to use. I will run a test on my system later today.  

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #2,077 of 4,252

Do you have any idea of software that is able to upsample to 768 khz?

Hi,

http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/yuki_san/

Enjoy!
regular_smile .gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 8, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,079 of 4,252
  Bumping this because it has bothered me from yesterday and i cant find a solution,has anyone tried to upsample pcm with jriver up to 768 khz? Micro can surely take it but jriver doesnt present an option it is only goes up to 384 khz...

I was able to upsample to 768kHz using Foobar plugin without problem. The question is why would someone need to upsample the original PCM file, what is achieved by upsampling? It does not make the quality of the source any better, I tried it many times and did not notice any improvement. Plus playing MP3 files in 768kHz is questionalbe because some are sampled in 44.1kHz and some are in 88, etc.  That being said I currently use the default sampling rate for all my files, including MP3, FLACs, CDs, etc.Native DSD is another story.

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #2,080 of 4,252
I don't know if there is any benefit from upsampling to 768 khz,I was experimenting with the capabilitys of the micro and it hit my quriosity. Now I curently bitstream the dsd files to the dac and play them at their original sample rate. Do you think that there is an actuall benefit on upsampling the dsd file and then send it to the dac?

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,081 of 4,252
I want to update the firmware of the micro idsd,do I have to power off the micro while the firmware file installation or it has to be active so that the device will recognise the firmware?

In the help section on ifi website sais that I will have to power of and unplug the micro AFTER the installation is done but it does not clarify if the micro will be powred and connected during the installation.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2,082 of 4,252
  I want to update the firmware of the micro idsd,do I have to power off the micro while the firmware file installation or it has to be active so that the device will recognize the firmware?

In the help section on ifi website said that I will have to power off and unplug the micro AFTER the installation is done but it does not clarify if the micro will be powered and connected during the installation.

The device has to be active and recognized by the firmware updater program in order for the update to proceed. The firmware updater program changes the core program that inside the iDSD not on the computer.  

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,084 of 4,252
One more question,sorry for the number of my posts but I am really trying to get to know this exception peace of hardware,is the settings on the ifi driver window (usb streaming mode and buffer) and the jriver settings for latency and buffering affect the sound quality at all? seems that the best option is to keep them at the maximum number so that the playback is skip resistant. Do they matter in term of sound quality?

Sep 12, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #2,085 of 4,252
  One more question,sorry for the number of my posts but I am really trying to get to know this exception peace of hardware,is the settings on the ifi driver window (usb streaming mode and buffer) and the jriver settings for latency and buffering affect the sound quality at all? seems that the best option is to keep them at the maximum number so that the playback is skip resistant. Do they matter in term of sound quality?

The drawback of large buffers is that stopping, pausing and changes can take longer. Streaming mode does make some difference in sound quality on my I7 4790 with 16 gigs. Some streaming modes like relaxed will not work on my system.  It is really system dependence on what works best. Option like memory playback can make a difference in some cases. My OPPO HA-1 has the same options and a few others makes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back