iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,397 of 4,252
  I don't get the idea of "losslessness" of 16-bit digital PCM sampled at 44.1khz. At this point, pretty much everyone recognizes that there's nothing lossless about this format.

My understand is that 16-bit digital PCM sampled at 44.1khz has limits to the dynamic range range that can be recorded and the highest frequencies. But all the detail in the mid-range is recorded. You cannot say that with MP3 and therefor is lossy. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #1,398 of 4,252
  My understand is that 16-bit digital PCM sampled at 44.1khz has limits to the dynamic range range that can be recorded and the highest frequencies. But all the detail in the mid-range is recorded. You cannot say that with MP3 and therefor is lossy. 

I would question the assertion that all the details in the mid-range are recorded on CD. I hear a better midrange on hi-res PCM and DSD files.

I suspect it has something to do with 20kHz brickwall filters applied during recording at 44.1kHz.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,399 of 4,252
Thanks iFi,Now I can listen to my collection of mp3 files that I collected over the last 10yrs or so.Even more music 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,401 of 4,252
I had no idea we had this feature... 
biggrin.gif
  "Just look at the Magenta (DSD256/512) light on Nano/Micro iDSD"

Just looked at the Micro iDSD Manual,lots of different colored LED light functions for various Modes...
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,402 of 4,252
Nothing neutral about that! :)
Applaud manufacturers who give out their tech know how - and it gives me more confidence they are doing, good job! Not just throwing the latest and greatest me too DAC in their. Big balls. Big balls.

Jul 16, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,403 of 4,252
Nothing neutral about that! :)
Applaud manufacturers who give out their tech know how - and it gives me more confidence they are doing, good job! Not just throwing the latest and greatest me too DAC in their. Big balls. Big balls.

Also they rather delay their release date to fix a few things rather than making an MK2 version of it. They also keep us updated which is nice xD

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #1,404 of 4,252

Some background information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_compression#Audio

It is about compression of the file type not the format. Studio recordings are usually 24-Bit (mainstream). And they they convert to different file types including MP3 and FLAC and WAV .

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #1,405 of 4,252
I'm sorry to (kind of) repeat my question, but when the battery dies in a few years, will i be able to get the same performance out of it, same amp power etc...just not be able to use it in a portable way, and only when connected to USB?

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #1,406 of 4,252
I'm sorry to (kind of) repeat my question, but when the battery dies in a few years, will i be able to get the same performance out of it, same amp power etc...just not be able to use it in a portable way, and only when connected to USB?

Hi,

The micro iDSD is designed to work the same on battery and USB power. Clearly, you never run out when on USB power.

Put it this way, the power specs of the micro iDSD does not alter if it is run on USB or battery power. It is just that battery will run out. USB power will not.

Hence, if/when the battery drops to 70% recharge capability, (as defined for when it needs replacing), this does not effect the power ratings.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 16, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #1,408 of 4,252
I have a Samsung S3 phone with a 64GB memory card. Do you know if the micro iDSD will work straight out of the box playing DSD 64 files? Or do I need a special type of app on the phone. I think USB host is available on my phone but I have no clue how the rest would work out. Some kind of insights on Android would be great. 

I have downloaded the Onkyo Player for my iPad so I know it works there but my iPad is only 16GB and I am looking for a smart way to play my DSD files (current collection is around 40GB) without spending to much extra on hardware. So if the Android solution would work that would be great. Right now I cant test it myself because I don't own the nano iDSD.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #1,409 of 4,252

Hi,

The micro iDSD is designed to work the same on battery and USB power. Clearly, you never run out when on USB power.
Put it this way, the power specs of the micro iDSD does not alter if it is run on USB or battery power. It is just that battery will run out. USB power will not.
Hence, if/when the battery drops to 70% recharge capability, (as defined for when it needs replacing), this does not effect the power ratings.

Very nice to hear that, but I have one question: as far as I know, power from battery should be of a better quality than other power sources like wall socket and more than everything from USB. Better quality power supply = (in theory) better sound quality.
How did you manage to have the same performance (= sound quality, I guess) over the two different power supplies?
As far as I understand, this means you really made a great job!!!

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,410 of 4,252
  Very nice to hear that, but I have one question: as far as I know, power from battery should be of a better quality than other power sources like wall socket and more than everything from USB. Better quality power supply = (in theory) better sound quality.
How did you manage to have the same performance (= sound quality, I guess) over the two different power supplies?
As far as I understand, this means you really made a great job!!!

Does this mean that I won't need my iPurifier, iUSBPower, and split USB cable anymore? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back