iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Aug 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,756 of 4,252

nice! you'll love it...post your impressions!

I literally melted! The volume is slightly harder to control than I actually thought it would be despite higher output power. I actually set mine on Eco mode for Annie otherwise, even at normal, before 9'o clock [I find <9 o'clock have channel imbalance issue like most amp], I find it too loud for my listening. IMO 

Otherwise, the soundstage's height, width and depth is impressive on these. While the 3D holographic is not always beneficial, I like what it does to my Annie and the XBass does not only boost bass for the sake of boosting more bass for "more bass". It actually sounds tight and does not cost distortions or whatsoever. Don't find the polarity anyhow useful thought [TBH] 

Excellent DAC/amp combo specially when you can use it with an iPad via CCK xD

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,758 of 4,252
[COLOR=000080]Please,[/COLOR][COLOR=FF4400]windwolf447[/COLOR][COLOR=000080],give us a link to the 6.5 mm (1/4") plug Headphone Adapter you recommend in your YouTube video...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000080]Thanks... [/COLOR]

That part of the video got me curious as well.

windwolf447,

I don't think you should be experiencing noise while on USB using the BitPerfect filter. A noisy computer perhaps? Why not turning the iDSD on before plugging it in your computer so you'd be using the iDSD's own battery for a lower noise floor so you'd be able to use the supposedly better sounding BitPerfect with USB and not only through coaxial input. If the noise persists even while on its own battery, you should contact iFi.

Also, there is an iDSD impression and review thread in case you want to add more to what you've already covered on your video. Just in case you didn't know!!

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,759 of 4,252
Aug 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,760 of 4,252
  I literally melted! The volume is slightly harder to control than I actually thought it would be despite higher output power. I actually set mine on Eco mode for Annie otherwise, even at normal, before 9'o clock [I find <9 o'clock have channel imbalance issue like most amp], I find it too loud for my listening. IMO 

Otherwise, the soundstage's height, width and depth is impressive on these. While the 3D holographic is not always beneficial, I like what it does to my Annie and the XBass does not only boost bass for the sake of boosting more bass for "more bass". It actually sounds tight and does not cost distortions or whatsoever. Don't find the polarity anyhow useful thought [TBH] 

Excellent DAC/amp combo specially when you can use it with an iPad via CCK xD

Did you change the setting for IEMatch (underside of the Micro) to "High Sensitivity" or "Ultra Sensitivity"?  The Micro iDSD ships with the IEMatch set to "Off".

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,761 of 4,252
Did you change the setting for IEMatch (underside of the Micro) to "High Sensitivity" or "Ultra Sensitivity"?  The Micro iDSD ships with the IEMatch set to "Off".

The iEMatch is supposedly used once already on Eco but still having sensitivity problems. He didn't need to as it was in Normal, not Eco, where 9 o clock would be too much.

Then again, maybe you could use the iEMatch while on Turbo mode… see what happens :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #1,762 of 4,252
You are right, turn on the idsd micro before connect to my computer via USB can solve the bit-perfect filter noise problem.

If I turn on the idsd micro after connected to USB, I can hear some noise in all kind of audio playback situation. Whatever it's the windows system sound or the sound of a youtube video.

Maybe there are some problem of my ASIO driver? Or simply because my computer is noisy(having dirty USB output signal?) 

I will spend more time on this to find out the reason.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,764 of 4,252
Now waiting for a comparison between Idsd micro and hifi-m8.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,765 of 4,252
  Now waiting for a comparison between Idsd micro and hifi-m8.  
biggrin.gif

Well, I sold my M8 too quickly to do a massive comparison to micro iDSD.  sorry.  but in quick listens it was as good, or better in terms of clarity, detail, balance.
I realize you are likely asking about sonic differences, but the features of micro iDSD made my M8 an easy sale:

more mW power for HE-560
much better (no hiss!) IEMatch for IEMs!!
no AC wall wart to charge unit battery
better volume knob
DSD playback
3D feature nice at times
Xbass apparently as good (no basshead hammering) as M8 bass switch.
single USB port works with High Rez audio and a single CCK cable!
filters seem well done and remove some digital sheen (in high guitar treble/decay)
no iDevice (when screen is on) interference when connected to usb port
no space eating 4pin jack for a "non balanced amp"
dual mono DAC chips
pre-amp capable
zero jitter GMT femto clock technology
when off, micro iDSD can charge up my iPhone

M8 held my top spot for an all-in-one transportable unit for 10 months, but audio technology marches on.
cheers to iFi engineers!

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,766 of 4,252

Well, I sold my M8 too quickly to do a massive comparison to micro iDSD.  sorry.  but in quick listens it was as good, or better in terms of clarity, detail, balance.
I realize you are likely asking about sonic differences, but the features of micro iDSD made my M8 an easy sale:

more mW power for HE-560
much better (no hiss!) IEMatch for IEMs!!
no AC wall wart to charge unit battery
better volume knob
DSD playback
3D feature nice at times
Xbass apparently as good (no basshead hammering) as M8 bass switch.
single USB port works with High Rez audio and a single CCK cable!
filters seem well done and remove some digital sheen (in high guitar treble/decay)
no iDevice (when screen is on) interference when connected to usb port
no space eating 4pin jack for a "non balanced amp"
dual mono DAC chips
pre-amp capable
zero jitter GMT femto clock technology
when off, micro iDSD can charge up my iPhone

M8 held my top spot for an all-in-one transportable unit for 10 months, but audio technology marches on.
cheers to iFi engineers!

Thanks! Saw the specs and OMG the amp puts out 4W @ 16ohms! But no balanced connections right?

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,767 of 4,252

Thanks! Saw the specs and OMG the amp puts out 4W @ 16ohms! But no balanced connections right?

correct.  only a 1/4" jack.

then again the 4pin XLR on the M8 didn't mean the M8 was a balanced amp, and was for cable convenience?
I'm unsure of the sonic benefits of the 4pin XLR on the M8, didn't use it much myself.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #1,769 of 4,252

After posting my impression, I tried turning down low to Eco and turn on the IEMatch to high sensitivity for some of my headphones, it works great now!

This thing sound great when paired with XBA-4 IMO @ Eco, IEMarch IEMatch to ultra sensitivity! Bass are well presented and the hollow, mellow sound seems to faded away by quite a little :D

Hope iFi didn't saw that mistake xD

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #1,770 of 4,252
After posting my impression, I tried turning down low to Eco and turn on the IEMatch to high sensitivity for some of my headphones, it works great now!

This thing sound great when paired with XBA-4 IMO @ Eco, IEMarch to ultra sensitivity! Bass are well presented and the hollow, mellow sound seems to faded away by quite a little
biggrin.gif

i have the same impressions as you...even in the eco mode, it's too powerful for my th900, which are pretty sensitive. i haven't bothered with playing around with the IEMatch yet, but i probably will later. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back