Identifying a fake Sennheiser MX 760!
Apr 11, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to hear that.
frown.gif
Hopefully the pair you purchased is legitimate. Where did you buy it from, if you don't mind me asking? Many times sellers of counterfeits also carry other oft-faked goods, like Sony EX85 and EX90, Bose IEs, and other Sennheisers.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a pair of CX95s on eBay, but my gut feeling made me back out. The pictures in the listing looked nearly identical to the real thing. The people who have purchased from these sellers seem to think their authentic, however...
Good luck Ad.

I finally got mine. I did a comparison with the photos provided in my original post, seems to be genuine. I did find a few minor manufacturing defects though and some minor assembly defects on the packaging, not sure if those are tell tale signs of it being fake. The sound is much better than my Philips SHS4701.

I need to ask you a few things. Did yours come with a clip? In my package there only were: 1 Pair of earbuds, 1 Extension cable, 1 Pouch, 1 Holder for the earbuds. Also is your pouch soft PVC?

Thanks,
-Ad

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #17 of 32
If it sounds good, then it should be the real thing. However, I'm somewhat curious as to what the manufacturing defects are.

RE: Accessories. I never got a clip with mine. It's strange since Sennhieser's stock photos all the MX760 with a clip. As for the pouch: Mine appears to be genuine leather or a really close synthetic. It is very soft, though.

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it sounds good, then it should be the real thing. However, I'm somewhat curious as to what the manufacturing defects are.

RE: Accessories. I never got a clip with mine. It's strange since Sennhieser's stock photos all the MX760 with a clip. As for the pouch: Mine appears to be genuine leather or a really close synthetic. It is very soft, though.

There is a small bump on the surface of one of the "MX760" clear plastic where the Y joint is. Beyond that, there are very fine burs at the connectors. I was expecting much better finish in terms of quality. Could be just my bad luck. I have had too many such experiences. Mine also has the same packaging defect as can be seen in this photo (the cardboard and plastic at the hole for the hook are slightly off): http://www.headphone.com/productphot...82760_3499.jpg

If the pouch is leather it should have a faint leather scent. Also the lining in the pouch should be separable from the leather. If the lining is bonded to the leather and there is no way to discern a separation between the layer of lining from the leather, it most likely synthetic. Usually the lining used in leather pouches or bags are not bonded to the leather, only synthetics are known to have this characteristic and are usually much thinner than leather.

At the back of my mind, the lack of quality one some components have raised some doubts on whether this is the real thing or that the imitators have got better at fixing their flaws to a negligible level.

Is your pair perfect? I would believe that with low wage labor and mass production in China, it would be very hard to get perfection even for the genuine stuff.

From what I have heard the imitations might come with a clip:
TQ HCM - Tai nghe cá»±c VIP Sen MX760 Original !!! End:23h35' ngÃ*y 14/11/2008 - Diá»…n ÄÃ*n 5s

Thanks,
-Ad

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #19 of 32
If you're worried about the pouch, I've come to the conclusion that's it's probably made of synthetic material. As you have explained, the lining seems to be bonded on. The material is on the thin side as well.

I also wouldn't worry about the package. The cardboard and plastic aren't aligned correctly on my boxes either. The only time I would be concerned is if the plastic is crudely cut to the point there are sharp or jagged edges.

My MX760 doesn't have the Y joint issue you've mentioned. I also have an MX660 and it too is flawless outside of a small bump on the rubber portion, visible on both models. I don't have any problems with my pairs, but they're far from perfect. Sometimes it seems that the chrome strip portion on the earbud itself is sometimes a tad loose (but not to the point to where it would fall off). Other than that, I can't think of anything.

As I said earlier, I would worry too much if it sounds good. If you're hearing a nice amount of bass (for an open earbud), airy midrange, good treble detail, and a relatively large soundstage, it's probably the real deal. They could even be articles that were rejected by Sennheiser due to quality issues.

I have to say, it's really disturbing that we even have to have this thread. It seems the counterfeiters are getting better every minute, and I bet they watch threads like these and perfect their inconvenient masterpieces. I'm truly disgusted.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #20 of 32
I am confident I have the original, though there are minor defects. It helps a lot to verify with another owner of the same product. Thanks for all of your info.

With the counterfeiters getting better and better, I hope that Sennheiser wises up with better ways to distinguish their products from imitations. Pricing alone does not help as there are unscrupulous distributors hawking fakes as genuine. Maybe through the use and control of hologram labels, it could reduce the problems of indistinguishable fakes.

Its pretty stressful for a consumer to get their product with suspicions that it could be fake. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone without warning them of the pitfalls of ending up with fakes priced as originals.

Thanks,
-Ad

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #21 of 32
Well I got all 5 pairs. I did find out that the guy posted them incorrectly and they should have been selling for $9.99 each, but I lucked out. I honestly cant see how these would be fake as the packing is very very clean and proper. The buds themselves are pristine and also sound pretty good. If someone would like to give a pair a try to confirm, please let me know and I'll gladly mail them to you (covering shipping both ways is fine w/ me.) I'm just curious is all. Considering I paid a total of $13, I would be blown away if they are in fact authentic.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #22 of 32
they are probably a kind of way to make you puzzled.in china as i have experienced,they made an identification,but if you look on it to the real one you will find there is no real headphone in the market.so dong't believe it.
also the website come from a seller hu sells headphones called factory product.but he lied and says these MX760s come from German

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering I paid a total of $13, I would be blown away if they are in fact authentic.

Wow, that's a great deal if they are indeed real! Even $10 a piece seems to good to be true.

Anyway, I'm starting to believe that Sennheiser is discontinuing the MX760 here in the US. I purchased my pair for $20 shipped from Newegg, an authorized dealer, so I assume that they were just liquidating them. That would be a real shame, since I really enjoy these earbuds.

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #24 of 32
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but do you think there is a chance that there are genuine ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280530973578&_trkparms=tab%3DBidding#shId

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #26 of 32
I bought one pair of these for about 11 pounds including shipping to Bulgaria. Answer to my question regarding authenticity of these earbuds from the seller was that they were real, but I do not expect anything else. Anyway, even if they are not thats not too much money even to our low standards of life, and I will get over it.

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
I bought one pair of these for about 11 pounds including shipping to Bulgaria. Answer to my question regarding authenticity of these earbuds from the seller was that they were real, but I do not expect anything else. Anyway, even if they are not thats not too much money even to our low standards of life, and I will get over it.

Glad to know they turned out authentic. I got my pair boxed from an Amazon UK seller last year for a bit more than that.

Just out of curiosity. Did yours come in original box or just plastic bag?

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
Glad to know they turned out authentic. I got my pair boxed from an Amazon UK seller last year for a bit more than that.

Just out of curiosity. Did yours come in original box or just plastic bag?

It was the seller who claimed they were authentic, now after I have finally received them I can not tell if they are genuine or not as I do not have access to the real ones and make a comparison. I can compare them to my AKG K312/314 earbuds and they have a little bit more bass, midrange seems similar but highs sound a bit recessed. Regarding soundstage I think its more narrow than my AKGs. They came just in a plastic bag with only foams, extension cables, and the phones themselves. I would realy like to find out if these are real ones. Weird thing is they arrived from Holland, and now the MX760s in the same sellers listing are located in UK according to description while the seller seems to be in Singapur. Having read that users in the forum have bought genuine pairs for just a bit more, I would really feel cheated if these are fakes that just sound decently good.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:
I can compare them to my AKG K312/314 earbuds and they have a little bit more bass, midrange seems similar but highs sound a bit recessed. Regarding soundstage I think its more narrow than my AKGs. They came just in a plastic bag with only foams, extension cables, and the phones themselves.

That doesn't seem right, especially the part about the soundstage.  The MX760's soundstage is quite impressive as far as earbuds go and to me is its defining sonic trait.  Indeed, some find its soundstage a bit too large.  The bass only being slightly more than the AKGs also sends up a red flag.  Are you comparing the earbuds with the foams on?

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #30 of 32
Yes, with I am doing the comparison with the foams on. Too bad that after the confirmation from the seller about them being genuine  I actually bought a second pair just for backup. I have started burn-in on them and will see if there is any change after a few hours. So far, they does not really sound like the description of the genuine phones. 

Where can I find genuine ones at a good price with shipping to Bulgaria ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back