Identifying a fake Sennheiser MX 760!
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

adkiller

Head-Fier
Thought the MX 760 was safe from cheap imitations, guess not:
沙龙特价128元原装森海赛尔MX760附终极真假鉴别

The site above is in Chinese. But the pictures are pretty descriptive. If there is some interest to post this in a Wiki somewhere I could help translate it.

The fake MX760 has been in the market since last year. You may want to check it out, especially if you bought it recently.
triportsad.gif

Thanks,
-Ad

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 32
You might want to check your link. It's not working for me.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 32
The link is fine. Might be your connections have been blocked by the Great Firewall of China.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 32
Sorry about that. Just try at another place, example, internet/cyber cafe, your friend's house, ... Or use proxy http://proxy,org or anonymizer.. Anonymouse.org

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 32
Thanks for the info adkiller. It's both amazing and frightening how authentic the counterfeits look.

What a waste of potential. These counterfeiters could be cooking up the next great bang-for-the-buck headphone/earphone/IEM, but instead they resort to imitation and reverse-engineering.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info adkiller. It's both amazing and frightening how authentic the counterfeits look.

Well this sucks pretty much as there is a possibility that I may end up with a fake. The problem arises when resellers price fakes close to the originals that makes it hard to make a purchase without opening the package. Then there would be the hassle of getting refunds.

Though there are resellers that are blatantly selling fakes. There have been resellers do it unknowingly, by sourcing them from dodgy distributors that supply both the originals and fakes.

-Ad

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by adkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this sucks pretty much as there is a possibility that I may end up with a fake. The problem arises when resellers price fakes close to the originals that makes it hard to make a purchase without opening the package. Then there would be the hassle of getting refunds.

Though there are resellers that are blatantly selling fakes. There have been resellers do it unknowingly, by sourcing them from dodgy distributors that supply both the originals and fakes.

-Ad

I'm sorry to hear that.
frown.gif
Hopefully the pair you purchased is legitimate. Where did you buy it from, if you don't mind me asking? Many times sellers of counterfeits also carry other oft-faked goods, like Sony EX85 and EX90, Bose IEs, and other Sennheisers.

I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a pair of CX95s on eBay, but my gut feeling made me back out. The pictures in the listing looked nearly identical to the real thing. The people who have purchased from these sellers seem to think their authentic, however...
Good luck Ad.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 32
Apr 10, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 32
Well, the seller offers some other Sennheisers and the AKG K324, all of which are counterfeited often. Also, the MX400 and 500 retailed at about $15 and $20 respectively, while the MX760 is closer to $40; in other words, $1 is just way too cheap to not be suspicious.

If you do try them out / keep them, feel free to ask me any questions about the sound or if you need any pictures, as I'm probably one of the few MX760 owners on this forum.

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 32
Regarding the MX400 and 500, I'm not sure if I've received counterfeit versions of those, but I will say that sound a ton better than the original ipod headphones. I recently broke my last pair and have had to use the ipod headphones for the first time and they are total rubbish.

Have you had both Mx500 and 760? if so, any comment on the sound difference?

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 32
Yeah, the MX400 and 500 are definately clearer than the iPod buds, and I still enjoy them and their unofficial successor, the MX360.

As for the difference in sound between the 500 and 760: The 760 has a much more open sound and amazing soundstage. The treble clarity too is much improved, and the midrange is airy without some of the reverberations that the MX500 sometimes reveal. The bass extends far deeper, and the quantity is just right for me, although it is slightly more than what would be considered neutral. Probably the biggest difference outside the soundstage is that the MX760 are more detailed and "fast," very fun to listen to. For me, I still admire the MX500 et. al. for background listening, but the 760 gives a very engaging experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back