Ideas for a teen summer job
Apr 6, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #16 of 54
Come work for me, I'm in need of a hitman. The only requirements are burning off your fingertips
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come work for me, I'm in need of a hitman. The only requirements are burning off your fingertips
wink.gif

Erm, not just fingerprints, but the whole tip?!

If you're good with computers... fix other people's. They'd probably rather have you work on it than the Geek Squad... but you need word-of-mouth rep to begin with, and be quite competent. Also, building custom configs is a good sideline.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #18 of 54
In high school, I used to sell tickets at the local movie theater. That was a great job. I got in any time I wanted to for free, my immediate family got in for free, and we were allowed to let our friends in for free. I got two friends hired there and I actually looked forward to going to work.

Either that, or maybe see if John Grado needs a summer intern!
rs1smile.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #19 of 54
interning is what i'm leaving my smart friends who are going into science to do. i'm looking at becoming a teacher, so take THAT interning!

i really like the idea of the movie theater. the closest one to me is at the mall, so i might check out some other stores while i'm there as well.

as for the driving thing, yeah, i need someone with a senior license to drive with me for 6 months. earliest i can drive alone now is october. senior year will be fun, huh?

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #20 of 54
I made the mistake of working at a car wash when I was 16 during the summer. Soooo hot and often times miserable. I can only highly recommend retail jobs, especially at clothing stores in malls and stuff. I'm guessing book/music stores would be similar. From my recollection of high school friends working retail, it seems there are a variety of hours you can work 7 days a week, and the pay is decent as far as I know, and once you've worked there for the summer, you have a good chance at working there during your other breaks during the year, especially during Christmastime, when they add staff and work a lot. So maybe in addition to a music store (which sounds very fun), check out Old Navy, American Eagle, Abercrombie (if you can stomach that store and fit the mold of employee they want), and I'm sure there are many more, I just never shop at them anymore due to outgrowing all of their clothes (6'7", big&tall stores ftw).

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #22 of 54
1. Go to the day labor hire sites - (big box hardware stores, Lumber stores, etc) and get triple bonus - every time you hire on a work crew, you will displace one illegal alien, you will get buff, and you will earn $10-15 bux perhour...If you are a good worker, they will look to hire you every day, and you will be rollin in it!!
The good part about this is that you need only work when you want to - the bd part about this is that you might not always get a job when you want to.

2. Do you live near a small Port, one that serves only a few ships a week, and is a long way from a big port? Really good money there - $27.00bux per hour, if you get hired as a casual. Work there till they know you, and they will start letting you drive forklifts, Hustlers (the big semi bobtails used to move containers), and so on...

3. Any big trucking terminals/warehouses/railheads near where you are? They pay $15.00-25.00 per hour. The work is hard, so you will come home tired and sore every day, but you will get really buff.

4. Any moving and storage companies near you? They pay less than warehouses, but otherwise, are like #3

5. Waiting pays well in a good restaurant - lots of walking, must be polite to the customers, and have to work evenings, but pretty good tips in a good place.

6. Construction: Drywall/Framing/Roadwork/Cement work. (Does your state have regulations/certificate requirements for Flaggers? Find out, and get the cert. Good pay, work outdoors, EASY!)

7. Look in your phone books under Handyman - call and ask if they need an eager young, strong helper - you might get lucky.

I did all those jobs (and more) during my early years.

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #24 of 54
I've worked at retail, and I know a lot of people who have worked retail, and pretty much all of us has hated it equally. Whatever you do, DON'T work at American Eagle, they have the worst sales pitch BS that you have to go through with every single damn customer... and you have to wear the stupid head sets when the store is seriously pretty small. One thing that's fine with AA is working the stock room, so if you do apply there, apply for that. You can listen to music, use your phone etc.
I'm working at a pretty large family owned plant nursery atm, and it's awesome. Everyone is really laid back, I basically just move trees around and get in good shape all summer. It's pretty fun too
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #26 of 54
Dude, you live in Maryland. Work outside. A marina. A golf course. Don't spend it in some music store or a pizza joint. Besides, you'll make money and maybe get a tan at the same time. Landscaping crews can make decent bread, too. And the physical labor might help you get in decent shape, too. Chicks dig good abs and pecs.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #27 of 54
i did the retail deal and i must say the discount was nice, but it sucked, boring job, always having to clean up the messes people leave behind and low pay.

if you don't mind getting sweaty, do something in terms of manual labor outside, get a tan, get in shape, constantly going from one place to the next so it isn't the same exact thing day in and day out

one job i held every summer during college was party rental, ok pay, 7-9 bucks an hour, again, gets you in great shape, i was in no means in bad shape (played division 1 baseball at the time) and my heartrate went from 75 bpm to 55 bpm the first summer, you meet all kinds of people, and at your age, you get to setup a whole ton of high school graduation parties, and at least with our company, we got invited to about half of them that were held for girls by the girl or her friends, and you do get the occasional tip, and if you work hard, you'll have a job to fall back on every summer

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #28 of 54
i worked heavy labour in a warehouse job a few summers ago, and it did NOT get me in shape. It did take a toll on my body and my sanity though. Up at 5am each day, and the work day starts at 6. Leave work at 6pm too tired to think with blisters on your feet and hands. You're not going to get nice biceps and pecs from jobs like these, you're going to get a very sore back. I put on weight because after all the physical labor you'd be starving. I would eat a meal every coffee break, huge breakfast and huge lunch. Maybe 3-4000 calories a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back