Ideas for a teen summer job
Apr 8, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite tech-savvy, built a few computers, fixed my grandmas and sisters' dozens of times, how would I get word out on that I am fixing/building?

print a flyer, make some copies at FedEx/Kinkos or Staples, then put them on people's mailboxes, in their doors, on wood poles, etc.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
print a flyer, make some copies at FedEx/Kinkos or Staples, then put them on people's mailboxes, in their doors, on wood poles, etc.

Go stand inside Best Buy near their "Geek Squad" counter--offer to to do any repair for 20% less than what Best Buy quotes. It ought to work until you get kicked out of the store.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go stand inside Best Buy near their "Geek Squad" counter--offer to to do any repair for 20% less than what Best Buy quotes. It ought to work until you get kicked out of the store.

haha!

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #49 of 54
I know a guy that bought a couple nice squeegees and some buckets and towels and went around to local businesses and offered to clean their windows. He'd charge anywhere from $10 and up, depending on how many windows and how large they were. He made the prices low so businesses would go for it. Most of them simply paid him in cash and it wasn't uncommon for him to get a couple hundred dollars for a few hours work. He's in college now but he still runs the window washing business in the summer. He's grown it considerably and I believe it's now paying his tuition.

I know another guy who did basically the same thing mowing lawns. (or as he calls it--landscaping)

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #50 of 54
mowing lawns sounds good. i have jsut had a great idea. i could post flyers to every house in a mile radius of me, offering mowing services for just £3-£6 depending on size. would this work? would people trust a 16 yr old with theyre lawnmower?is there demand for such a handyman? should i lowerr prices more? should i market at old people? advice please....

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #52 of 54
Use your own equipment. (mower/weedeater) Do a good detailed job, trimming and mowing and sweep sidewalks/driveways when finished. Fliers will help but knocking on doors of houses that need to have their lawns mowed will give better results. Actively pursuing your leads is always more successful than sitting around waiting for customers to call you.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mowing lawns sounds good. i have jsut had a great idea. i could post flyers to every house in a mile radius of me, offering mowing services for just £3-£6 depending on size. would this work? would people trust a 16 yr old with theyre lawnmower?is there demand for such a handyman? should i lowerr prices more? should i market at old people? advice please....

trust me you dont want to use other peoples tools for your own job. What happens when you agree to mow someones lawn and spend the next hour trying to get their mower thats been sitting over the winter started?

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #54 of 54
I've been fixing/building computers and fixing other electronics for $25/hr for a while. I'm making more than I'd get paid anywhere else, and I'm a teenager. I'd recommend it if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back