Ideas for a teen summer job
Apr 6, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #31 of 54
If you know someone really well who works at a bank and is willing to vouch for you, there's a chance you could take a job as a teller. They normally look for 18 and older but if an employee can give you a good recommendation... My mom got me a job working as a teller that way. Summer was also an insane time, and tends to be very busy so they are always ready to hire during the summer. Plus it paid rather well as I recall.

Apr 6, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #32 of 54
2nd the lifeguard option, usually pays nice (depending on where you work) pretty relaxed enviorment, and you always outside
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got the application for the ice cream stand, so i'll be dropping that off tomorrow.

aww awsome! everyone loves ice cream
icon10.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i worked heavy labour in a warehouse job a few summers ago, and it did NOT get me in shape. It did take a toll on my body and my sanity though. Up at 5am each day, and the work day starts at 6. Leave work at 6pm too tired to think with blisters on your feet and hands. You're not going to get nice biceps and pecs from jobs like these, you're going to get a very sore back. I put on weight because after all the physical labor you'd be starving. I would eat a meal every coffee break, huge breakfast and huge lunch. Maybe 3-4000 calories a day.

LOL, I'm not saying I've lost a lot of weight since switching from office jobs to serious physical labor 3 years ago. But I certainly haven't been eating 3-4000 calories a day either. Actually I eat a lot less on hard work days and then eat some hearty meals once the work week is over.

Hard work isn't for everyone and it won't turn a fat guy into Brad Pitt but it undeniably puts you in better shape. Just watch the calorie intake, like every smart person should be doing anyway.

A sore back means you weren't working right, or you just needed to wear a brace. I get sore muscles from targeted work but never unbearable, save for a few random pulls.

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #35 of 54
i'd like to be a lifeguard, but they only seem to hire attractive people. not to mention i don't even belong to my area's public pools.

oh well, working in an air conditioned place...could be worse. last year was no air conditioning and working next to a 600+ degree oven.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #36 of 54
Are you tech savvy? All my summer jobs have been computer related--general computer tech at a small local business ($15/hr., summer after freshman year in high school) to full-time software engineer ($25/hr, summer before college). This summer (after freshman year in college), I'm hoping to work in the IT department of a local investment firm. The pay is nice--$35/hr, but it's a much more formal work environment than what I'm used to.

Most people will pay (what seems like) an ungodly amount for tech. jobs because it's still cheaper to pay a college student $40/hr than it is to hire a professional for $80+/hr.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you tech savvy? All my summer jobs have been computer related--general computer tech at a small local business ($15/hr., summer after freshman year in high school) to full-time software engineer ($25/hr, summer before college). This summer (after freshman year in college), I'm hoping to work in the IT department of a local investment firm. The pay is nice--$35/hr, but it's a much more formal work environment than what I'm used to.

Most people will pay (what seems like) an ungodly amount for tech. jobs because it's still cheaper to pay a college student $40/hr than it is to hire a professional for $80+/hr.

Holy crap...I wish I could find jobs like that around where I live. I will have finished my sophomore year of a BS degree in Computer Science and I am having trouble finding a computer related job at all much less one that pays that well. Of course I live in the middle of a corn field...so that probably doesn't help
frown.gif
. BTW, where do you live?

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2nd the lifeguard option, usually pays nice (depending on where you work) pretty relaxed enviorment, and you always outside
smily_headphones1.gif

I worked as a lifeguard for 4 Summers between HS and in college and have this to say.

1. You always have the best scenery. On the beach looking at girls.

2. You can get a "monkey" to do all the scut work.

3. Life's a beach. Work at the beach and not a pool.

Lifeguard-KenBradley.jpg

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #40 of 54
i'm in the same situation. the thing is, i am 14. does anyone have any suggestions? i could just mow lawns like i always do, but i could make more money with a consistent part-time job. i really don't want to work in fast food. is there really any possible job for me? i have a good frame for physical work but i don't want to wake up early and come home tired. basically, i just want to have some pocket change when the summer's over, but not take over my summer and still leave me time to bike, lift and hang out with friends.

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm in the same situation. the thing is, i am 14. does anyone have any suggestions? i could just mow lawns like i always do, but i could make more money with a consistent part-time job. i really don't want to work in fast food. is there really any possible job for me? i have a good frame for physical work but i don't want to wake up early and come home tired. basically, i just want to have some pocket change when the summer's over, but not take over my summer and still leave me time to bike, lift and hang out with friends.

Ask around with the HR departments of companies, businesses around you and just find out if they are willing to hire someone for odd jobs. My first job was when I has 16 and I got it working at a state bank filing office supplies and primarily shredding paper. Banks and other companies usually end up printing a lot of stuff on paper everyday and lots of it is important info that needs to be destroyed, but no one wants to. I was shredding nearly 15 pounds of paper a day at about $8.00/hour.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #43 of 54
for more money, take side jobs on fixing/building computers (if you can)

being a waiter also gets a lot of money from tips. apply to smaller restaurants though.

apply to technician/assembly line jobs at factories... crummy, but pays alright

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap...I wish I could find jobs like that around where I live. I will have finished my sophomore year of a BS degree in Computer Science and I am having trouble finding a computer related job at all much less one that pays that well. Of course I live in the middle of a corn field...so that probably doesn't help
frown.gif
. BTW, where do you live?

The first two jobs were in Louisville, KY. My current job (software programming/web application design--Perl, Ajax, CSS, MySQL, etc.) is in Boston, MA, at the college I attend.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for more money, take side jobs on fixing/building computers (if you can)

I'm quite tech-savvy, built a few computers, fixed my grandmas and sisters' dozens of times, how would I get word out on that I am fixing/building?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back