Ideal Headphone (HD800/Audeze) music, suggestions,please
Oct 30, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #226 of 443
Great voice, good performance, good song but........so much compression.....I hope it is only on the clip, but my experiences with Adele recordings is that the production is very maxed out, so loud I hardly have to use my amp
smily_headphones1.gif
  I sincerely hope they will release a more ''audiophile'' version in 24 bit, Adele's immense talent deserves it. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #227 of 443
  Great voice, good performance, good song but........so much compression.....I hope it is only on the clip, but my experiences with Adele recordings is that the production is very maxed out, so loud I hardly have to use my amp
smily_headphones1.gif
  I sincerely hope they will release a more ''audiophile'' version in 24 bit, Adele's immense talent deserves it. 

Yeah the youtube version is bad. I have the 16 bit and the dynamic range is far improved. 24 bit should be out later.

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #228 of 443
Funny that Carmen Gomes & Adele are mentioned right after each other on the CA forum there is a very interesting thread comparing the the 2 previous albums from these lovely singers. The production techniques are somewhat different;

Carmen Gomes Inc; Thousand Shades of Blue 

The 12 pieces of music were performed live in the studio in front of a studio audience. The musicians were placed in front of a stereo pair of microphones with additional spot microphones on each instrument. The musicians were playing without headphones, the reason being that we believe that when we get the musicians to play together in the same room,with out headphones, it creates a number of musical and technical benefits:
As they are not ''separated'' by the headphones, the musicians, in order to hear each other are forced to create a natural and musical balance, a balance which is then easily captured by the main stereo pair of microphones. Because of the natural and musical balance the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary, and since everybody is in the same room,the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent, and the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording.

Adele; Rolling in the Deep
  Vocals: Waves Q6 & De‑esser, Digirack EQIII, Lo‑Fi & Trim, Pultec EQ, Urei 1176, Tube‑Tech CL1B, various spring reverbs and delays.The Lo‑Fi plug‑in got another outing on the backing vocals, where some tonal shaping was applied with EQIII.
"I had the Q6 on the chorus vocal, notching out 930, 1634 and 3175 Hz very, very heavily: ‑18dB, ‑18dB and ‑12.1dB respectively, with very narrow Q. I also had the EQIII on the lead‑vocal sub, notching something out again. Something obviously needed to be taken out. The vocal is the most important thing in the track, and taking those frequencies out allowed me to keep it up front in the mix, particularly in the chorus. You can never account for what mic the vocals were recorded on, and whatever it is that bugs me, I can take it out. 'T' on the lead vocal bus is the [Massey] Tapehead plug‑in, which wasn't used, but I did use two Waves De‑essers, one taking out at 5449Hz and the other at 11004Hz. Rather than use one to try to cover all the sibilance I used two. I do that quite often.
Tom Elmhirst always creates stem mixes, and in the case of 'Rolling In The Deep', these were recalled and augmented with extra sub‑bass and vocal parts for the release version."Regarding the outboard, I had the Pultec EQ, Urei 1176 and the Tube‑Tech CL1B on the lead vocal sub insert (desk channel 25). The Pultec boosted around 100Hz and 12k. It's colourful, but not drastic. There was not a lot of gain. The blackface Urei had fast attack and fast release, whereas the Tube‑Tech had slow attack and slow release, it was more evening out the level. You can use compression as an effect, but on the vocal you mainly want control. You want to set it up right so you're not constantly moving the channel fader to fit the vocal in the mix. If you're constantly moving the fader, rather than just doing the occasional ride, you know that you need to look at your compression. There's also Paul's Roland Space Echo track, which I used throughout, and which was the only lead vocal effect in the first chorus. On the backing vocals I had the Digirack Trim, again the Lo‑Fi, and the EQIII, cutting a bit around 405Hz and boosting a little around 3.17k. I used quite a few spring reverbs on the backing vocals, because I wanted them to have a lot more ambience. In the choruses I would also have added several delays. The delays make the backing vocals swing a bit, and they also fill up the space and make sure that they fit in the mix.”
Final mix: Manley Vari‑Mu, Chandler Curvebender, Cranesong HEDD.
"The session was in 24/96, and I mixed back into it, going via the Manley Vari‑Mu, the Chandler Curvebender EQ and the Cranesong HEDD tape simulator, which did the A‑D conversion. I like the colour that the HEDD adds. I'd have sent a reference mix to the record label, using the [Waves] L1 and the UltraMaximizer to beef up the volume, but I took these off when I sent the file to the mastering engineer. As I said earlier, the loudness wars are a daily battle for me, because all reference mixes come in pumped, and I have to compete with that. I can't send in a mix that sounds 10dB less loud then the reference mix. These days I use the UAD Precision Maximizer for that, which is the best one I've heard that doesn't shred the sound.”  .

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/articles/it-0911.htm

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #231 of 443
   This is very good. Great songs, great sound quality, very laid back but also deep and intensive. This is the follow up to the ''Thousand Shades of Blue album'' and although a tough act to follow, Carmen Gomes third album for Sound Liaison does not disappoint.

To sing a song I need to picture the story of the lyrics in my head; I have to feel them. If I can't feel them, I can't sing them. And how can I expect you to believe what I am singing if I don't feel it myself? So you can say that the songs on this album are very personal, very close.

Carmen Gomes

I concur, it is a beautiful album. Gorgeous sound stage with that incredible depth those Sound Liaison downloads have. And it is one of those albums that keeps getting better each time I play it. How they manage to make each instrument stand out but yet have such a unifying feel to the whole procedure is incredible. And for €10/$11. it is a no-brainer.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #233 of 443
The Alan Parsons Project-- Turn of a friendly Card ....AND
Alan Parsons-- Live Span (Stuttgart, Germany 2013)

Honestly, these are top level recordings because AP is not only a great musician but he is a masterful audio engineer. Beautiful stuff, and the HD 800's of course really prove it! :saxophone::musical_score::notes::thumbsup:

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #234 of 443
Been enjoying Diana Panton's albums. Definitely suitable with the HD 800.

I am not sure if she's famous here with the audiophile crowd, like Norah Jones, but if you haven't heard her stuff yet I would highly recommend it. As music it's really pleasing. The recording is also top-notch audiophile level.

Currently listening to her album "If The Moon Turns Green."

Even at 1080p, youtube really doesn't do justice to it.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #236 of 443
  very nice, thank you,  zoom 25, Download link please....

Qobuz download link for all her material: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/search?q=diana+panton&i=boutique

You can also preview all of the songs there.

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #239 of 443
  Thank you Zoom25, where should I start? Your favorite?

I have had the album "If The Moon Turns Green" for a long time. I'd recommend starting there. It's her older stuff, but it's done well over time. It always gets the job done for me.

Also, I'm biased towards her as she is local here.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #240 of 443
If you like symphonies and James Bond, definitely listen to this playlist. It's by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. I've heard around 10-15 different renderings of James Bond material, but nothing comes close to this. I'll try to find the original box set that I have and post a link if someone is interested.

The dynamics, soundstage, air, tonality of instruments are insane on the box set version I have. Hopefully, youtube can give an idea of it. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back