Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #1,216 of 1,521
So a while back I got my HP8 straight from Icon Audio. Unfortunately it had a nasty hum and had to go back, but now it is dead quiet and I have been very much enjoying this little amp for the last few weeks. Now all that is left to do is to decide whether to buy the ZMF Atrium now or save up for the Caldera...decisions, decisions....

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,217 of 1,521
New question for the group: are there any pet owners here? Do you do anything to protect the amp from dust/dander/hair/fur? I'm keeping my amp on/near my desk, in the open because I don't have a closed cabinet nearby to put it in.
Been running mine with four felines of varying fluffiness.
Couple of years now...amp fine, cats continue to be little sods.

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #1,218 of 1,521
So a while back I got my HP8 straight from Icon Audio. Unfortunately it had a nasty hum and had to go back, but now it is dead quiet and I have been very much enjoying this little amp for the last few weeks. Now all that is left to do is to decide whether to buy the ZMF Atrium now or save up for the Caldera...decisions, decisions....
Tough decision. My favorite pairing with the HP8 was the Atrium Open. Bar none...

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,219 of 1,521
I owned & reviewed the Atrium Open before I got my HP8, so unfortunately couldn't test that combination. But based how wonderful this amp sounds powering other ZMFs (VO, Aeolus & Caldera), I'd bet real money the AO would sound great on it.

For me the biggest surprise with the HP8 is how wonderfully it drives the Caldera. The bass I'm getting with the 2nd pair of NOS power tubes I picked up (Sylvania 6SN7GT/GTA ~-1951) really syngerize with the Caldera. This combination sounds different from, but just as good as, the Milo or V281, both of which are outstanding w/the Caldera.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,220 of 1,521
Any insight what was causing the hum? Mine has it the background and I've been trying to troubleshoot it. It is something from the power or gain as the input source and tube swapping have no effect. My other OTL amps are not experiencing this so I don't think it is ground loop in the home wiring.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #1,221 of 1,521
Any insight what was causing the hum? Mine has it the background and I've been trying to troubleshoot it. It is something from the power or gain as the input source and tube swapping have no effect. My other OTL amps are not experiencing this so I don't think it is ground loop in the home wiring.
There was a faulty capacitor in the power supply. It was a constant 50 Hz hum that did not change with volume levels.

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,222 of 1,521
There was a faulty capacitor in the power supply. It was a constant 50 Hz hum that did not change with volume levels.
Thank you, sounds like that may be what is going on in mine. It's not too intrusive but more noticeable with some HPs like the Verite Closed.

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #1,223 of 1,521
I owned & reviewed the Atrium Open before I got my HP8, so unfortunately couldn't test that combination. But based how wonderful this amp sounds powering other ZMFs (VO, Aeolus & Caldera), I'd bet real money the AO would sound great on it.

For me the biggest surprise with the HP8 is how wonderfully it drives the Caldera. The bass I'm getting with the 2nd pair of NOS power tubes I picked up (Sylvania 6SN7GT/GTA ~-1951) really syngerize with the Caldera. This combination sounds different from, but just as good as, the Milo or V281, both of which are outstanding w/the Caldera.
Caldera sounds amazing on the HP8. It really is a tough decision. Can I take both? I just found the AO to be the absolute perfect headphone for the HP8. Where I felt the Caldera sounded equally sublime on different types of amps. Whereas the AO really loved a good ole fashioned NOS tube.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,224 of 1,521

I enjoyed both the Atrium and the Caldera a lot with the HP8. I have had two long listening sessions at a local store that has loads of different headphones. First one was without the HP8 and there I really liked the Atrium and the Verité (at least the open versions) but thought the Caldera was rather dull. The one I thought was going to end up with was the Meze Empyrean but that one did not work with the HP8 for me. Atrium was great with the HP8 and I probably would have already bought it if I had not listened to the Caldera again at the end of the 2nd session. The Caldera was so much better with the HP8 and while I think the Atrium is probably the better fit, that low end of the Caldera left quite the impression.

Next week I will get the Atrium for extended testing at home, then we'll see.

Oct 8, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,226 of 1,521
The HP8 / Atrium combo is bloody awesome. I still have to check out the Caldera again, because FOMO is a fickle and persistent bitch....
FTFY… [Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,227 of 1,521
Stayed with the Atrium! Listening to the Atrium & Caldera side by side I thought they were actually pretty close, so no real need to spend the extra $$$. I even went the cheap route and got the standard cherry version, they also had the Bocote Ltd. edition but I liked the cherry wood better. Maybe I'll use the money I saved for some tubes.

The Atrium is currently burning in on my Burson Soloist, that is probably the most play time that amp will ever get....

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #1,228 of 1,521
Stayed with the Atrium! Listening to the Atrium & Caldera side by side I thought they were actually pretty close, so no real need to spend the extra $$$. I even went the cheap route and got the standard cherry version, they also had the Bocote Ltd. edition but I liked the cherry wood better. Maybe I'll use the money I saved for some tubes.

The Atrium is currently burning in on my Burson Soloist, that is probably the most play time that amp will ever get....
Just to get the cauldron bubbling a little more ferociously …. 🍯 ….
• I have Atrium in the aged cherry / aged copper; I also have Atrium in LTD Cocobolo. Cherry is a much softer wood than cocobolo; cherry Janka hardness rating (lbs-force) is 950 versus 2960 for cocobolo.
FD14C028-065B-44BF-91F9-8C9525214F0D.jpeg

• To my ears, cherry Atrium ‘decay’ of notes / chords lasts a little longer; cocobolo Atrium ‘onset’ of notes / chords is a little ‘faster’. Both Atria (Latin plural!) are fantastic, and fun lies in choosing one for a particular recording.
• EDIT: with the hardness of the wood and with the ‘faster’ onset of cocobolo Atrium, I feel no need to investigate Caldera.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,229 of 1,521
Wait for Zmf November maybe there is a possibility to buy both,who knows.

I have bought the Bocote which was released in March.reading Jonathan C's statement,I would say it is pretty much in the middle.
Its decay is mostly right for me, and can be fast when it needs to be.
I am very happy with the Bocote in that respect.
The only thing I don't have is the Hp 8.
Decided to go with another amp for the time being, which has come up.
I am still keeping an eye on the Hp8, it still fascinates me, also because it is simply Zmf compatible.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #1,230 of 1,521
The only thing I don't have is the Hp 8.
Decided to go with another amp for the time being, which has come up.
I am still keeping an eye on the Hp8, it still fascinates me, also because it is simply Zmf compatible.
What amp did you go with? And how are you liking it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back