Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Sep 23, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #1,186 of 1,546
If you hanker for R2R (resistor-to-resistor) ladder DACs [as you should! šŸ˜œ], put Denafrips Pontus II on the list.
I was very interested in the Pontus, until I saw it's dimentions (~13" x 13"), way too large for anywhere in my office.

(damn the luck)

The Pontus is often described as the "sweet spot" in the denafrips line.

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,187 of 1,546
@geoffalter11 @shwnwllms Thanks for all your help and advice! Re: upsampling, I may do that in the future. Based on this thread, I think this is the shortlist:

* Matrix X Sabre 3 (open box, $2399)
* Schiit Yggdrasil OG (used, $1850-2046)
* Matrix Audio Element X (used, $1600-1900)
* Denafrips Pontus II (used, $1799) (12th anni, new, $1793)
Great list. Really canā€™t go wrong with any of them. The Pontus and Yggy are big components. The two Matrix much smaller. Whichever you choose will provide you great sound.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #1,188 of 1,546
EE6E91F1-EBC0-4626-9F82-8F02C3630628.jpeg

šŸŽ¼ šŸ˜Œ šŸŽµ

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #1,189 of 1,546
I took delivery of my HP8 MkII Signature today! :o2smile: No photos yet until the rest of my setup arrives (still waiting on DAC and interconnects). Until then, I'm thinking of running the amp, without inputs or outputs, for a few hours a day to start the burn-in process. At the very least, I've attached all the tubes and done a power test to make sure the thing turns on.

While I wait, a few questions:
* I noticed all the tube sockets are labeled (V1, V2, V3). The included 6SN7 tubes had packaging also marked V2 and V3. Is there any reasoning behind matching a particular tube with a particular socket even though they're the same type?
* Are there any accessories folks recommend for the amplifier? e.g., I've seen other tube amp owners using socket savers to reduce stress on the sockets
* Without starting an argument over tube rolling, are the stock tubes "good enough" or does the amplifier have noticeable improvements with other tubes?

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #1,190 of 1,546
I took delivery of my HP8 MkII Signature today! :o2smile: No photos yet until the rest of my setup arrives (still waiting on DAC and interconnects). Until then, I'm thinking of running the amp, without inputs or outputs, for a few hours a day to start the burn-in process. At the very least, I've attached all the tubes and done a power test to make sure the thing turns on.

* I noticed all the tube sockets are labeled (V1, V2, V3). The included 6SN7 tubes had packaging also marked V2 and V3. Is there any reasoning behind matching a particular tube with a particular socket even though they're the same type?
* Are there any accessories folks recommend for the amplifier? e.g., I've seen other tube amp owners using socket savers to reduce stress on the sockets
* Without starting an argument over tube rolling, are the stock tubes "good enough" or does the amplifier have noticeable improvements with other tubes?
Congrats... I think @jonathan c and @Pharmaboy will be able to give you good insight. I can also give you my insight from owning the HP8 Signature for 18 months. I don't currently own one. First, what DAC did you end up with?

1. I always used the CV-181 Ceramics in the order they were labeled, but don't think it matters. They are a matched pair. When you roll in other 6SN7s you won't have them labeled and it doesn't seem to matter.
2. I never used socket savers. Other do, but the connections are really good and I never found a need. However, I thought about buying them several times.
3. Some will say that a higher quality fuse makes a difference. There is definitely both sides to that coin. I don't think it is necessary, but others do.
4. Tube rolling makes a difference up to the tolerances of the tubes. 5-10%. As with any SET tube amp, the transformer and volume pot make up 90% of the sound.David Shaw will tell you he hears no differences with tubes, and that the circuit is so stable he has put in unmatched tubes and the circuit puts out a tolerance within .2%. However, I hear a difference with tube rolling. I didn't like the EH 12AX7 that the amp came with. That tube can definitely be improved. The CV-181 Ceramics sound great, but I had a problem with them staying seated perfectly and it caused a bit of noise for me. So, I rolled in different 6SN7s.
5. The biggest change you can make with tube rolling is with the driver tube. You can also use a 12AT7 which has 40% less gain and will give you more volume play and better dynamics. Especially if your DAC has a lot of voltage. I never used more than 2.5 vrms into the HP8, and I loved the amp with a 12AT7. But, I also liked it with the 5751 which is a 12AX7 with 30% less gain, and I liked it with 12AX7 tubes too.

My favorite combo was the Brimar Footscray 12AT7 with Raytheon VT-231s. I also loved the Raytheon 5751, and I loved the RCA Grey Glass VT-231s or Victor's. Another amazing tube is the RCA Narrow Gap 6SN7GTB, which is essentially the RCA version of the Ken Rad VT-231 made for a short 6-9 month period between 1959 and 1960. Those are some sweet sounding tubes. Sound wise I loved the CV-181s, and I sure loved the way they looked, but I struggled to keep them upright and found other 6SN7s to be quieter.

Most importantly, enjoy the music. That amp is special. The bass is off the hook good, and the midrange flows like a warm summer breeze. You will not find a better tube amp under $2500.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #1,191 of 1,546
Oh, and I used an upgraded power cable. I used an Audience Forte F3 with my HP8. I thought it sounded spectacular with that power cable. Also, a good quality pair of RCAs matters. I used Mogami wire, and then a pair of Acoustic BBQ Full Rack which were made for me by a guy on Audiogon. I still use those on my Eddie Current Aficionado.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #1,193 of 1,546

ā€¢ When I received delivery of HP8 Signature from Audioarcan (šŸ„‡šŸ†), I let my meticulous nature take over awhile: with isopropyl alcohol + q/tips, I cleaned tube sockets, RCA input sockets, IEC power prongs. Then, a SR Purple fuse replaced the stock fuse. Then, octal socket savers were placed in V2, V3; nonal socket saver was placed in V1. All socket saver pins were cleaned prior to socket saver placement.
ā€¢ An added benefit of these socket savers is the increased dissipation of tube heat due to tube base elevation. Even after several hours of amplifier use, the transformer cover and the copper plate are only mildly warm.
ā€¢ For tube ā€˜rollingā€™, there is much information in this thread. I heartily recommend the use of 12AT7 / ECC81 / ECC801 tubes (mu: 60x) over 12AX7 / ECC83 / ECC803 tubes (mu: 100x). This is mentioned in the Icon Audio materials with the headphone amplifier. Less gain ==> greater amplifier circuit headroom ==> less chance for compression on musical crescendos.
ā€¢ Also, use a high quality power cord. When breaking in the amplifier / tubes / etc, it is preferable to use music at low volume. šŸŽµšŸ˜€

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #1,194 of 1,546
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,195 of 1,546
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,196 of 1,546
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,197 of 1,546
I bought a used Matrix Audio Element X off USAM, it should be here Friday. Unfortunately, Matrix doesn't archive their product pages so I can't find a good link with a list of specs.
I can get you the specs. Very similar to my X2 Pure. It is a great DAC. Matrix is one of the very few companies that has figured out how to properly implement that chipset and dissipate the heat. The sound is very smooth and extended and will be amazing with the HP8.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #1,198 of 1,546
Most importantly, enjoy the music. That amp is special.
Definitely trying to avoid falling in the "listening to your equipment" hole with the new setup, which is why I'm not going after higher end interconnects and cables quite yet. Want to see how everything sounds as-is and live with it for a while before deciding that certain things aren't working.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,199 of 1,546
Definitely trying to avoid falling in the "listening to your equipment" hole with the new setup, which is why I'm not going after higher end interconnects and cables quite yet. Want to see how everything sounds as-is and live with it for a while before deciding that certain things aren't working.
I think you will find with the HP8 that you are not listening to gear, but music. I agree wholeheartedly that the idea is to not listen to our gear, but music.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,200 of 1,546
ā€¢ When I received delivery of HP8 Signature from Audioarcan (šŸ„‡šŸ†), I let ā€˜ocdā€™ take over awhile: with isopropyl alcohol + q/tips, I cleaned tube sockets, RCA input sockets, IEC power prongs. Then, a SR Purple fuse replaced the stock fuse. Then, octal socket savers were placed in V2, V3; nonal socket saver was placed in V1. All socket saver pins were cleaned prior to socket saver placement.
ā€¢ An added benefit of these socket savers is the increased dissipation of tube heat due to tube base elevation. Even after several hours of amplifier use, the transformer cover and the copper plate are only mildly warm.
ā€¢ For tube ā€˜rollingā€™, there is much information in this thread. I heartily recommend the use of 12AT7 / ECC81 / ECC801 tubes (mu: 60x) over 12AX7 / ECC83 / ECC803 tubes (mu: 100x). This is mentioned in the Icon Audio materials with the headphone amplifier. Less gain ==> greater amplifier circuit headroom ==> less chance for compression on musical crescendos.
ā€¢ Also, use a high quality power cord. When breaking in the amplifier / tubes / etc, it is preferable to use music at low volume. šŸŽµšŸ˜€
I had no idea you were that OCD...:). I mean I knew you were very intentional in everything that you do, but that is definitely OCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back