Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #1,201 of 1,546
Definitely trying to avoid falling in the "listening to your equipment" hole with the new setup, which is why I'm not going after higher end interconnects and cables quite yet. Want to see how everything sounds as-is and live with it for a while before deciding that certain things aren't working.
read @gimmeheadroom's signature. He has the best way of explaining exactly what you are saying. It exactly personifies how pretty much everyone on this thread feels about music and gear.

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #1,202 of 1,546
I had no idea you were that OCD...:). I mean I knew you were very intentional in everything that you do, but that is definitely OCD.
Some people prefer the term CDO. It’s similar to OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order.

Like. They. Should. Be.

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #1,203 of 1,546
Some people prefer the term CDO. It’s similar to OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order.

Like. They. Should. Be.
or Be. Like. Should. They. ? 😯🤪

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #1,204 of 1,546
Some people prefer the term CDO*** It’s similar to OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order.

Like. They. Should. Be.
*** Unfortunately, Collateralised Debt Obligations - comprised of re-spliced / re-packaged ‘subprime’ mortgages - were instruments which allowed financial institutions to extend far too much credit to the US housing sector from 2004-2007. All since these institutions were by regulation permitted to assign nominal / low capital risk weightings to these CDOs.
• ‘Subprime’ blew up then Lehman Brothers, Inc. - a major CDO player - filed for bankruptcy on 15/SEP/2008 …
• Isn’t financial history fun? 🤪🤪🤪

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #1,205 of 1,546
*** Unfortunately, Collateralised Debt Obligations - comprised of re-spliced / re-packaged ‘subprime’ mortgages - were instruments which allowed financial institutions to extend far too much credit to the US housing sector from 2004-2007. All since these institutions were by regulation permitted to assign nominal / low capital risk weightings to these CDOs.
• ‘Subprime’ blew up then Lehman Brothers, Inc. - a major CDO player - filed for bankruptcy on 15/SEP/2008 …
• Isn’t financial history fun? 🤪🤪🤪
We all know him as Jonathan C on Head-fi, but I bet you didn’t know his real name is Michael Burry

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #1,206 of 1,546
Good one, but no!

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,207 of 1,546
Sep 27, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #1,208 of 1,546
I’m curious how many people understood the reference without having to name search him lol
Some people watch movies and even read books as well as listen to music. Then again some people don’t have a lot left over for additional, more traditional investments after building, upgrading, and rebuilding their hi-fi systems, and stockpiling rare NOS tubes.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #1,209 of 1,546
Some people watch movies and even read books as well as listen to music. Then again some people don’t have a lot left over for additional, more traditional investments after building, upgrading, and rebuilding their hi-fi systems, and stockpiling rare NOS tubes.
… it’s tough out there when NOS tubes (and NOS tube boxes!!) appreciate in price faster than debt / equity / other market indexes.

Algebraically: 🔺P12A#7 😀> 🔺P401(K) 🤬

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #1,210 of 1,546
… it’s tough out there when NOS tubes (and NOS tube boxes!!) appreciate in price faster than debt / equity / other market indexes … algebraically: 12A#7 😌> 401(K) 🤬
That’s the real proof that time travel doesn’t exist. Can you even imagine the tube caches you could leave yourself?

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #1,211 of 1,546
That’s the real proof that time travel doesn’t exist. Can you even imagine the tube caches you could leave yourself?
I wish I could travel back 25 years with a better understanding of audio tubes. During my military years I had to screen out tubes with radioactive isotopes as part of my environmental health and safety duties for safe disposal. Several series of tubes were cleared out of logistics inventories as electronic equipment and avionics were upgraded and all back-stock of replacement tubes became obsolete. There were all sorts of tubes I made sure did not contain anything hazardous and those were sent off for disposition as well. I hate to think if any of those were unused audio tubes that were trashed instead of reutilized. Anyway I was too young to know any better and more focused on computer hardware than audio equipment at the time.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,212 of 1,546
I bought a used Matrix Audio Element X off USAM, it should be here Friday. Unfortunately, Matrix doesn't archive their product pages so I can't find a good link with a list of specs.
Here is a review that has all the specs for the Element X. It is what I could find... My X2 Pure is more different than I thought. First, it has no headphone amp. It is just a DAC and Streamer. Second, it has (2) 9039 Pro chips, versus just the (1) 9038 pro. The X2 Pure has double the channels and more attention paid to the separation of the different stages, new power supplies, etc.

The Element X is a wonderful DAC and Streamer. You will get great sound...

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/matrix-audio-element-x-review-ultimate-all-in-one-audiophile-hub/

Sep 29, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,215 of 1,546
New question for the group: are there any pet owners here? Do you do anything to protect the amp from dust/dander/hair/fur? I'm keeping my amp on/near my desk, in the open because I don't have a closed cabinet nearby to put it in.
The amp is so well protected, I don’t see any issues. I have two small dogs, but they are hyper allergenic and not big enough to reach my system.

I don’t think you need to worry, just keep it clean. There are very few spots hair and dust can get in, especially when the tubes are seated.

I am not as CDO as Jonathan but I had no issues keeping it clean and keeping it mint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back