Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #1,096 of 1,468
Has anyone seen anywhere the actual output impedance of the HP8 MkII at the three settings?

I use mine with an HD800S but I'm considering a discounted pre-2022 Focal Utopia (80 Ohms) and - given the outlay - would like to be reasonably sure I can get a good impedance match. Thanks in advance.

Many thanks to both @geoffalter11 and @Jay Smith for your helpful replies - much appreciated!

I exchanged a couple of emails with Icon Audio and - I have to say, despite my love for their products - I found it disappointing that they point blank refused to tell me what the output impedance(s) are on the HP8. They choose not to publish that spec in the manual or on the website (for whatever reason, I won't speculate). That said, when they send review samples (not of the HP8, unfortunately) of their amplifiers to Hifi News the magazine does its own measurements and publishes them as part of the review. This was useful, for example, when I decided to buy an Icon Audio Stereo 30SE for my speaker system. Not sure why Icon Audio feel the need to be so secretive when a customer asks a reasonable question about a product already purchased - particularly when it concerns component matching. Oh well...

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #1,097 of 1,468
Many thanks to both @geoffalter11 and @Jay Smith for your helpful replies - much appreciated!

I exchanged a couple of emails with Icon Audio and - I have to say, despite my love for their products - I found it disappointing that they point blank refused to tell me what the output impedance(s) are on the HP8. They choose not to publish that spec in the manual or on the website (for whatever reason, I won't speculate). That said, when they send review samples (not of the HP8, unfortunately) of their amplifiers to Hifi News the magazine does its own measurements and publishes them as part of the review. This was useful, for example, when I decided to buy an Icon Audio Stereo 30SE for my speaker system. Not sure why Icon Audio feel the need to be so secretive when a customer asks a reasonable question about a product already purchased - particularly when it concerns component matching. Oh well...
That makes zero sense to me why they would keep that secret.

I’ve always gone by the following rules for the three settings. I swear I read it somewhere in a review a long time ago.

Low - 32 ohms
Medium - 100 ohms
High - 250 ohms

I don’t know if it is right but it is what I go by. I actually find with most headphones the medium setting gives the best dynamic range. Unless the headphone is super efficient. For my ZMFs I use the high impedance setting. I do believe the Utopia will be perfect on Medium and will give that headphone incredible tone and low end presence without mitigating its innate speed and resolution. I have wanted a Utopia for awhile because of my belief that the HP8 will pair perfectly. I could be wrong, but don’t think so knowing how well Focal’s headphones pair with tube amps.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,099 of 1,468
I use my TH900's on the low setting. I don't know the output impedance, but I have no complaints about the bass.

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #1,100 of 1,468
@Slim1970

Tim, will you answer a question for a fellow HP8 owner? When you borrowed my HP8 how was the Utopia? Which impedance setting did you use and how would you describe the way the Utopia sounded on the HP8? Thanks my friend...

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #1,101 of 1,468
Has anyone had a chance to listen to the Meze Elite with the HP8 MKII Signature? I know @Toonartist had a chance to demo his Elite with the standard HP8. I am wondering if the Signature might be good/versatile enough to replace my two tube amps (Quicksilver and SW51+). I have a good solid state solution now in the Cayin iHA-6, so I’d like to consolidate to one versatile tube amp to use with my Meze Elite (planar) and ZMF Auteur (dynamic). The Quicksilver fits these conditions pretty well, but I really like the choice of different output impedances with the HP8.

I know the Quicksilver has more power on tap than the HP8, but its output impedance is under 3 ohms. The real question is whether the HP8 will have enough current to drive the Elite well. I know it will sound great with my Auteur, but will it be enough of an upgrade over my Quicksilver to go through the hassle/expense. Someone talk some sense into me!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #1,102 of 1,468
Has anyone had a chance to listen to the Meze Elite with the HP8 MKII Signature? I know @Toonartist had a chance to demo his Elite with the standard HP8. I am wondering if the Signature might be good/versatile enough to replace my two tube amps (Quicksilver and SW51+). I have a good solid state solution now in the Cayin iHA-6, so I’d like to consolidate to one versatile tube amp to use with my Meze Elite (planar) and ZMF Auteur (dynamic). The Quicksilver fits these conditions pretty well, but I really like the choice of different output impedances with the HP8.

I know the Quicksilver has more power on tap than the HP8, but its output impedance is under 3 ohms. The real question is whether the HP8 will have enough current to drive the Elite well. I know it will sound great with my Auteur, but will it be enough of an upgrade over my Quicksilver to go through the hassle/expense. Someone talk some sense into me!
I own an HP8 that was modded after sale with the same Mundorf coupling cap that the Signature has. Then I put in all NOS tubes (it took some experimenting) until I found the Goldilocks mix. Now the sound is ideal.

I don't own an Elite (wouldn't mind owning that one). But having just reviewed the ZMF Caldera, in part using the HP8, I can tell you the HP8 has more than enough power for the three planars I own. Maybe not enough for the Susvara, big Abyss, or HE6, but I'm OK with that. I actually got better sound out on the Caldera via the HP8 than the V281 (an amp planars simply adore), which surprised me. The Caldera is 95 dB efficiency vs Elite's 101 dB efficiency, so efficiency specs are promising for a good matchup w/the HP8.

As for impedance, the Caldera is 80 ohms, a medium-to-high impedance planar. At the medium impedance setting I use for all headphones, the HP8 drove the Caldera rather easily. I couldn't get over 10:30 on the dial w/o going deaf. The Elite is 320 ohms, definitely high impedance. I don't have a planar w/impedance that high, but I do have two 300 ohm ZMFs dynamics (Aeolus & Verite Open) & owned a third (Atrium). All sound quite amazing on the HP8. It has zero difficulty driving high impedance dynamics.

All in all, I'd guess the HP8, with its power and three impedance settings, could be more of a Swiss Army Knife solution for a wider range of headphones than other compact TC tube amps (just a guess).

Another point: the sound of the HP8 is extremely good. I'm sure some full-size tube amps out there sound even better, but I can neither afford them nor find space for such big amps. The HP8's sound is so good that I don't fantasize about bigger tube amps.

Final point: the RCA pass-through output on the HP8 turned into gold for me. It is very transparent, allowing me to hook up a different headphone amp or amp/preamp that sounds just as it would if receiving signal directly from the DAC's single ended output. That gives me great flexibility. BTW, this output works whether the HP8 is powered on or not. I love that.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #1,103 of 1,468
I own an HP8 that was modded after sale with the same Mundorf coupling cap that the Signature has. Then I put in all NOS tubes (it took some experimenting) until I found the Goldilocks mix. Now the sound is ideal.

I don't own an Elite (wouldn't mind owning that one). But having just reviewed the ZMF Caldera, in part using the HP8, I can tell you the HP8 has more than enough power for the three planars I own. Maybe not enough for the Susvara, big Abyss, or HE6, but I'm OK with that. I actually got better sound out on the Caldera via the HP8 than the V281 (an amp planars simply adore), which surprised me. The Caldera is 95 dB efficiency vs Elite's 101 dB efficiency, so efficiency specs are promising for a good matchup w/the HP8.

As for impedance, the Caldera is 80 ohms, a medium-to-high impedance planar. At the medium impedance setting I use for all headphones, the HP8 drove the Caldera rather easily. I couldn't get over 10:30 on the dial w/o going deaf. The Elite is 320 ohms, definitely high impedance. I don't have a planar w/impedance that high, but I do have two 300 ohm ZMFs dynamics (Aeolus & Verite Open) & owned a third (Atrium). All sound quite amazing on the HP8. It has zero difficulty driving high impedance dynamics.

All in all, I'd guess the HP8, with its power and three impedance settings, could be more of a Swiss Army Knife solution for a wider range of headphones than other compact TC tube amps (just a guess).

Another point: the sound of the HP8 is extremely good. I'm sure some full-size tube amps out there sound even better, but I can neither afford them nor find space for such big amps. The HP8's sound is so good that I don't fantasize about bigger tube amps.

Final point: the RCA pass-through output on the HP8 turned into gold for me. It is very transparent, allowing me to hook up a different headphone amp or amp/preamp that sounds just as it would if receiving signal directly from the DAC's single ended output. That gives me great flexibility. BTW, this output works whether the HP8 is powered on or not. I love that.
Sorry to correct you Peter, but the Elite is 32 ohms, not 320. I think it was just a typo...:). I have listened to the Elite on the HP8. It sounded fantastic. I used both the low and medium setting. It is a great amp for the Elite. Granted it sounded better to my ears on my CFA3, but it is quite wonderful on the HP8. It has plenty of power for the Elite. The HP8 might only have 700mw, but it is a very efficient and well designed 700mw. The HP8 has sufficient gain and outside of the hardest to drive headphones has plenty of power to control most drivers. It drives the HEKv2 right around 12 on the volume pot, which isn't a super easy load. However, I prefer the HEK on my CFA3. The HP8 possesses great control of the HEK's drivers, but it is a bit too relaxed for me. I like the speed and resolution of the CFA3 with the HEK. However, the Elite is decidedly easier to drive than the HEK. I think you will be happy with its synergy with Meze's offerings.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #1,104 of 1,468

Thanks for all the great info! One quick correction, the Elite has an impedance of 32 ohms not 320 ohms. My Quicksilver had absolutely no trouble driving it just as well as my super powerful Cayin iHA-6. I imagine the low impedance output of the HP8 would be the best fit for the Elite.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #1,105 of 1,468

Thanks for all the great info! One quick correction, the Elite has an impedance of 32 ohms not 320 ohms. My Quicksilver had absolutely no trouble driving it just as well as my super powerful Cayin iHA-6. I imagine the low impedance output of the HP8 would be the best fit for the Elite.
I would agree. You might prefer the Cayin with the Elite, but the HP8 will certainly not shortchange you. It is such a great amp. I actually tried to buy a Quicksilver before I bought my HP8. Mike was out of transformers and so I went with the HP8. I haven't looked back.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #1,106 of 1,468
Sorry to correct you Peter, but the Elite is 32 ohms, not 320. I think it was just a typo...:). I have listened to the Elite on the HP8. It sounded fantastic. I used both the low and medium setting. It is a great amp for the Elite. Granted it sounded better to my ears on my CFA3, but it is quite wonderful on the HP8. It has plenty of power for the Elite. The HP8 might only have 700mw, but it is a very efficient and well designed 700mw. The HP8 has sufficient gain and outside of the hardest to drive headphones has plenty of power to control most drivers. It drives the HEKv2 right around 12 on the volume pot, which isn't a super easy load. However, I prefer the HEK on my CFA3. The HP8 possesses great control of the HEK's drivers, but it is a bit too relaxed for me. I like the speed and resolution of the CFA3 with the HEK. However, the Elite is decidedly easier to drive than the HEK. I think you will be happy with its synergy with Meze's offerings.
Haha, beat me to it on the Elite impedance. Glad to hear you like the HP8 Signature/Elite combo. That’s the vote of confidence I was looking for. I wish I didn’t have so much money invested in EL84s for my Quicksilver. Luckily my nice 12AX7s will work with the HP8 though.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #1,107 of 1,468
Haha, beat me to it on the Elite impedance. Glad to hear you like the HP8 Signature/Elite combo. That’s the vote of confidence I was looking for. I wish I didn’t have so much money invested in EL84s for my Quicksilver. Luckily my nice 12AX7s will work with the HP8 though.
It’s not as though the EL84s lack resale value in this tube environment …

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #1,108 of 1,468
It’s not as though the EL84s lack resale value in this tube environment …
What can I say, I’m sentimental! It took a long time and a lot of effort to collect them all.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #1,109 of 1,468
@jonathan c owned a Quicksilver before the HP8. When he got the HP8 he sold the Quicksilver. I don't believe he has an Elite, but he can speak to how it does with other Planars, both easy and hard to drive.

You really can't go wrong with the HP8. Let us know how it turns out and what you end up doing. Hopefully you can find a nice home for those EL84s. I am like Peter, I long for a bigger badder tube amp, but it would take serious money to best the HP8 so I don't even consider it. The HP8 ticks all my boxes and takes extremely well to upstream gear. The better the DAC the better the HP8. It is a beautiful window into one's music.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #1,110 of 1,468
What can I say, I’m sentimental! It took a long time and a lot of effort to collect them all.
… don’t let sentimentality prevent you from a great upgrade … besides, they’re vacuum tubes … Being And Nothingness (L’etre et le neant) … they feel nothing for you … 😮😳😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back