Icon Audio HP8/MP 3
May 1, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,081 of 1,468
It takes the small 5x20mm Slow T 2A

Hard decision. I would get the HP8, but I haven't heard the WA6, so I am no authority by any means. But, the HP8 is one seriously sweet tube amp. I have gone completely overboard with mine. I have bought way too many tubes and now the fuse. I have been a skeptic about fuses. Designers poo poo them as a waste of money, but there is definitely an uptick in detail and treble resolution. Plus an increase in clarity and speed and I am only 2-3 hrs in. I am not going to burn it in for 200-300 hrs without listening. I am done burning in the HP8. I will listen as it burns in and enjoy the changes as they happen organically.

I asked my tube seller if I should burn in his tubes which are all over 70 yrs old and he says, "does it sound good out of the box? If so, good to go..." This is a philosophy that goes well with my listening habits. If I had to stop and burn in every tweak I made I'd never listen. :wink:
I’m a fuse person in my streamer and amp. I enjoy the QSA fuses and get the same type of benefits you mention. I have the Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cable and worry that I’ll get the matching power cord and iKable for between Mojo2 and HP8. Than a QSA fuse. And of course some Arya Revopods mini for feet…

💸💸💸

May 1, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #1,082 of 1,468
I’m a fuse person in my streamer and amp. I enjoy the QSA fuses and get the same type of benefits you mention. I have the Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cable and worry that I’ll get the matching power cord and iKable for between Mojo2 and HP8. Than a QSA fuse. And of course some Arya Revopods mini for feet…

💸💸💸
Sounds like a personal problem...:).

One I resemble...

May 2, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #1,083 of 1,468
Having a great session with Icon Audio HP8 Signature powering Grado GS3000x.
0D1FAC86-5718-4955-BBDD-C8925DEBD8B8.jpeg
One aspect of HP8 operation that deserves mention is temperature: after several hours of operation, the transformer cover and the copper plate are only mildly warm !! While I do use socket savers / tube risers, this outcome is nonetheless a pleasant surprise !!

May 2, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #1,084 of 1,468
Having a great session with Icon Audio HP8 Signature powering Grado GS3000x.0D1FAC86-5718-4955-BBDD-C8925DEBD8B8.jpeg One aspect of HP8 operation that deserves mention is temperature: after several hours of operation, the transformer cover and the copper plate are only mildly warm !! While I do use socket savers / tube risers, this outcome is nonetheless a pleasant surprise !!
What are you listening to?

May 2, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #1,085 of 1,468
So far:
3C66E196-076C-4983-89A2-8528321793C3.jpeg
88EF3BB9-9385-4133-A5C6-3A7E996B6EDA.jpeg

May 12, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #1,086 of 1,468
Another crowd-pleasing (OK, me…) tube combination:
8DECA59A-E897-49AA-9448-79EAB47B3FF4.jpeg
[Raytheon 6SN7WGT pair, Brimar CV455 KB/FB (Footscray) single]

May 13, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #1,087 of 1,468
Sylvania ‘tall boy’, ‘chrome dome’, angled tall T-plate 6SN7s demanded an outing. Am I glad that they were so insistent 😊 … truly excellent sound:
96584D40-1F18-4E7F-8602-2AAE2FC0BD7D.jpeg

May 16, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #1,088 of 1,468
…. psst …. SR purple? ….
I did pick up an SR Purple. I must say, it does help the sound of the HP8. Why I have no idea as electricity does not flow from left to right. I have absolutely no clue what the fuse is doing to improve the sound because there is nothing from a technical standpoint that should make it better. Electricity is electricity and while they say to make sure it is flowing from left to right, there is no reason for this. It doesn't work that way according to Jan, Miroslav (CFA3 builder) or physics. Yet, the Purple makes a difference and the sound is clearer and more detailed. I have no clue why, but it really does make a difference.

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,089 of 1,468
After removing a DAC that did not synergize well with my HP8 and ZMF Verites, I have just swapped in a Geshelli J2S as a stop-gap until I figure out what my longer term DAC solution will be (unless I end up falling in love with this little thing). Quick question: this DAC has a 3-level output switch. Would there be a benefit in theory to using a lower level setting to allow the HP8 to be played a higher volume setting (to achieve the same volume output)? I don't have much tube amp experience, but I have a vague notion that driving the tubes a little harder may improve the sound. Conversely, might using the high DAC output setting and a lower amp volume prolong tube lifespan? Thanks for any help.

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,090 of 1,468
After removing a DAC that did not synergize well with my HP8 and ZMF Verites, I have just swapped in a Geshelli J2S as a stop-gap until I figure out what my longer term DAC solution will be (unless I end up falling in love with this little thing). Quick question: this DAC has a 3-level output switch. Would there be a benefit in theory to using a lower level setting to allow the HP8 to be played a higher volume setting (to achieve the same volume output)? I don't have much tube amp experience, but I have a vague notion that driving the tubes a little harder may improve the sound. Conversely, might using the high DAC output setting and a lower amp volume prolong tube lifespan? Thanks for any help.
A lower output voltage from the DAC will reduce the likelihood of signal overload / compression in the headphone amplifier. Greater dynamic ‘headroom’ for the incoming signal is created; and more volume knob ‘useability’ is had. The offset to this is a possible increase in noise level relative to signal strength. Try all three settings, go with what sounds best to you.

EDIT: tube life should not be affected by the use of the different DAC output switches.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #1,091 of 1,468
Jonathan already answered your question better than I could, but I want to add something: at least in my main system with longterm gain issues, the HP8 proved a very powerful amp (certainly more so than its compact size would suggest). Even using 12AT7 tubes with their lower gain, I still rarely get the volume pot as far as 10AM on the dial.

At least in my situation, if I had this Gershelli DAC with its 3-level output switch, I would welcome the ability to use its lowest gain setting, as that would give me a little more volume pot play on the HP8 (my DAC has no gain-level or volume adjustment like this...wish it did).

Jun 4, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #1,092 of 1,468
Has anyone seen anywhere the actual output impedance of the HP8 MkII at the three settings?

I use mine with an HD800S but I'm considering a discounted pre-2022 Focal Utopia (80 Ohms) and - given the outlay - would like to be reasonably sure I can get a good impedance match. Thanks in advance.

Jun 4, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,093 of 1,468
Has anyone seen anywhere the actual output impedance of the HP8 MkII at the three settings?

I use mine with an HD800S but I'm considering a discounted pre-2022 Focal Utopia (80 Ohms) and - given the outlay - would like to be reasonably sure I can get a good impedance match. Thanks in advance.
I haven’t heard the Utopia on the HP8, but my buddy borrowed my HP8 and has the 2020 Utopia. He said it was absolutely sublime with the Utopia. I’d use the middle impedance switch for the Utopia if I had one. I’ve read that the Utopia was tuned with a Felix Euforia so it would tell me that the HP8 would be a great match.

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #1,094 of 1,468
For the past month I have had the same tubes in my HP8. A 1960s RCA 12AX7A and the NU 6SN7GT Black Beauties (1959). I have loved it and has provided me some of the best sound I have yet to hear with this incredible amp. I am also enjoying the SR Purple Fuse as it adds a bit of clarity and bass articulation. The Mids on the HP8 are always incredible.

Yesterday I changed out the tubes to a RFT Rohre 1963 12AT7 and a pair of RCA Narrow Gap 6SN7GTBs (1959). The Narrow Gaps were my first NOS tube purchase 8-9 months ago and since I have purchased enough tubes to last a lifetime for this amp.

My point, if there is one, is that this amp is brilliant no matter the tubes. I have yet to hear this amp struggle to sound great. Admittedly, some tubes impart a more agreeable flavor to my listening palate, but they aren't differences that ever make this amp unlistenable. It is the difference between excellent and exquisite. Maybe even close to always exquisite. I just picked up a pair of HEKv2's and they sound blissful on the HP8. Not as good as high impedance dynamics, but still resolving with incredible staging insight and beautiful mids anchored by a deep and rumbling bass. I can always count on the HP8 to lay down a groove; fat and wet with a tight decay that keeps everything together. This amp is worth far more than its reasonable price tag for what you get. Let's keep up the HP8 thread. This amp deserves to be talked about and brought into the light for more audio lovers.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #1,095 of 1,468

I have Clear OG and use low impedance setting on HP8. Also play around with medium and high impedance setting. I would say the difference is mostly about the bass response. You'll have tighter bass in low setting and fuller loose bass in high setting. I like low setting because it gives more accurate feeling and the bass is lovely. I don't think you need to worry about the impedance matching. HP8 is quite versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back