iBasso T5 - A newly designed small portable. Specifications.
Nov 4, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #31 of 151
Great, looking forward to reading it.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #32 of 151
Mine shipped yesterday so I should have it soon...just more evidence that you don't have to pay $400-700 for portable gear to get the best sound...

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #34 of 151

Quote:
Mine shipped yesterday so I should have it soon...just more evidence that you don't have to pay $400-700 for portable gear to get the best sound...

Hey, I'm all for that, but I really need to see some objective measurements before I'm prepared to accept it. Back when Skylab's epic portable amp review was *the* resource for those looking for an amp, at least we had a single set of subjective impressions from someone who had heard almost everything on the market - now, it seems that every new amp that comes down the pike is being proclaimed a 'giant killer'. I'm not immune to it, but you would need a lot more than $700 to keep on top of the Fiio / iBasso curve each year.

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #35 of 151
Hi jamato, it a long time since I have been on heartily. T5 sound interesting to me. Any idea how it compare to supermicro4?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #36 of 151
Quote:
Hi jamato, it a long time since I have been on heartily. T5 sound interesting to me. Any idea how it compare to supermicro4?
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I have much to compare to. I have the Super Micro and a number of the Reference amps as well as others. I don't really want to compare to all though, I would prefer to describe how well the music comes through and if it brings out the soul of what I am hearing. The Super Micro IV is a good point though as it is extremely transparent and very open. It still sets a standard, IMHO. 

I will say that the T5 needs many hours to fully burn in. It has 470uf X8 in caps. Amazing that they got those in there but they take some time to form and so I just leave the unit playing much of the time with it being turned off from time to time. I will say that as 200 hours approaches, it has opened up much more than where it was at 120 hours. It was more open at around 20 hours than it was at 120 and now it is more even across the frequency range. This while comparing to another amp for reference from the same source so as to not rely on aural memory. 

Listening to "Sailing to Philadelphia", Mark Knopler, the sound just resonates through my body. The bass is so profound and yet controlled and totally integrated and integral. This amp is really starting to come to life now. Interesting. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #37 of 151

Quote:
Quote:
Listening to "Sailing to Philadelphia", Mark Knopler, the sound just resonates through my body. The bass is so profound and yet controlled and totally integrated and integral. This amp is really starting to come to life now. Interesting. 

Great stuff. I saw Knopfler and Dylan perform last friday here i Stockholm and I got reminded of some of the great tracks from both artists. During the show I made a mental note to listen to more of their stuff. Which I am right now! On a HA160D loaner, not on the T5, but I sure will when I have it :)

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #39 of 151

Quote:
Jamato8 - How does the T5 sound in comparison to the PB1/2 Single ended and balanced?

I haven't compared them yet. I haven't compared to anything except for the Black Gate modified internal amp of the iRiver. Once I feel the amp has plateaued, I will start doing more comparisons. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #41 of 151
I am still trying to compare. My ears, since returning from Micronesia, well my right, get blocked and then it is fine. Right now fine but frustrating. What I am hearing is a very natural presentation with the T5 that belies its size. Past T amps, I think, packed a lot for the money and for the size. The T3, I still think, Is great. The T5 though steps up another notch and doesn't really sound to me like an amp as to my ear it is very neutral and far more powerful than what I would expect from its size. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #42 of 151
John, id strictly use an amp with IEMs...  would this be a good choice under 200? im considering waiting for the arrow 4g if it ever comes out or go with a cheaper option.  was considering the ZO2 but there seems to be issues with it and im unsure how i feel about it as of right now reading reviews and wonder how a " subwoofer " as it is marketed would be with an ie8

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #43 of 151
Well with my JHPro 13's, it sounds great. No hiss, even on high gain but I use it on low gain. If you keep it plugged into the source and on high gain and high volume, you can hear some hiss but as soon as you disconnect the source the hiss is gone so the amp isn't producing any and if you listened at this high volume you would be deaf in a short while. 

Anyway, I haven't used the Pro 13's too much lately, opting for the open and closed phones for testing but this amp is a great choice with IEM's as there is plenty of solid bass delivery without being bloated or thumpy, which I can't stand. I do prefer the sound in high gain but that is the same as with most all amps I have. I find more resolution and transparency in high gain, and that is at the same volume of course. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #44 of 151
A T5 is on its way, look forward to hearing what it has to offer. So far I have not been disappointed with iBasso's products. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #45 of 151

Quote:
A T5 is on its way, look forward to hearing what it has to offer. So far I have not been disappointed with iBasso's products. 
biggrin.gif

yea. after the pb1/db1, it seems theyve been in a funk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back