iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
Jun 4, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #166 of 281
Yes, I have some expensive headphones and most are great to listen to. But to think that price denotes sound quality is something I have learned, can be a mistake but is gladly supported by manufactures of expensive headphones. To my ears, the SR3 are one of the most transparent and frequency balanced headphones on the market. I can hear where people are within the recording and instruments the same, when recorded correctly and to me, they can really transport you to the event. More than the Utopia and a number of other headphones. The sound is very clean and by that I mean honest to the recording. I hear spatial cues, the slap echo from the walls that are in the recording studio or where the recording was made, much like I would hear if there. They are also very comfortable to wear with no fatigue related sound or fit or weight.
Thank you for your answer. This sounds very promising indeed. I also believe that marketing can lead us to invalid certainties about price-sound quality relation, especially with headphones of very high prices. Moreover, there is at least one recent headphone that is a proof that TOTL sound quality can be achieved at the under €/$ 1000 range (I mean the NDH 30, though it is a pro-oriented marvel). I am sure that more will follow and the SR3 seems to be a strong contender. Definitely one that I wish to listen to and compare carefully with the Neumann. I like its design very much too.
Patience is a virtue.
(We are on holiday after all!)
Enjoy our (Greek) three-day holiday! We are looking forward to this review, but we can wait!

Jun 4, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #167 of 281
Yes, I have some expensive headphones and most are great to listen to. But to think that price denotes sound quality is something I have learned, can be a mistake but is gladly supported by manufactures of expensive headphones. To my ears, the SR3 are one of the most transparent and frequency balanced headphones on the market. I can hear where people are within the recording and instruments the same, when recorded correctly and to me, they can really transport you to the event. More than the Utopia and a number of other headphones. The sound is very clean and by that I mean honest to the recording. I hear spatial cues, the slap echo from the walls that are in the recording studio or where the recording was made, much like I would hear if there. They are also very comfortable to wear with no fatigue related sound or fit or weight.
SR2 perhaps the better choice for somewhat poorly recorded albums?

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #168 of 281
Tough call. That's awesome, I'm glad I was of some help! I'm not a big fan of extended treble or extra heat in the presence region. I mostly listen to rock and metal, so a gracious out of the head experience isn't really my cup of tea. So Hifiman doesn't really blow my skirt up, but I do want to try the Edition X V2 some day should I ever find one. Based on what I said above, I'm not sure that the 109 is for me, but I will try it eventually. I like the smooth, detailed upper frequencies on the SR2, and perhaps even more so on my Kennerton Gjallarhorn. Have you tried anything from Kennerton yet?
No, I haven’t audition them. I was considering the JM edition but….. that’s too much $$$. Now, the SR3s appear to be priced right. I just want to know if they are worth the xtra expense over my beloved SR2 My next purchase could well be my last one. So based on some suggestions, here are some of my options: New SR3, used LCD2C, used AHD7200, and new 109 Pro. A good portion of what I listen is rock from the 70s and 80s so there is a lot of bad recordings LOL!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #170 of 281
Oh stop it....I just convinced myself to postpone the purchase but here we go again, damn you

Jun 5, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #171 of 281
Hi,
Any sr2 users, can you please give your insight on whether I could use my ibasso DC04 pro for my newly order SR2 or I need to upgrade to a more powerful dac/amp.
Thanks in advance!
The SR2 and SR3 are easy to drive.

Jun 5, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #172 of 281
The SR2 and SR3 are easy to drive.
The SR2 is relatively easy to push, but it's not super easy to drive - compared to something like the 99 Classics. His dongle has 280mw, so it might not be the best match to receive the full meal deal of these headphones.

Jun 5, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #173 of 281
The SR2 works well with anything, but the SR3, at 150 Ohms, needs more power to reach the headphones' potential.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #176 of 281
Any recommendations for an amplifier/dac for SR2?
Oh, this is difficult!
I have tested it with a lot of gear and everything had something to offer.
If you want to keep budget low, then I like a lot the Aune X1S GT, the FiiO K7 and the Yulong Aurora.
Recently I also used the FiiO K9 non Pro version and I really liked what I heard.
Too many options.
It is awesome with the Schiit Lyr+ and the Aune X8 XVIII DAC.
Etc, etc.

I am speaking for the SR3 of course but I guess that the same applies for the SR2 too.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #178 of 281
Well guys, here is my detailed review of the iBasso SR3 for anyone interested.

https://ichos-reviews.com/ibasso-sr3-review/

I will also upload here at Headfi in a couple of days.

Thanks for reading.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #179 of 281
That's a great review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back