iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
May 29, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #151 of 281
I disagree then but not everyone likes the same make of guitar etc. But is it as good as some of the best out there? IMO, yes and price should not be a factor. But it also depends upon what you are using as an amp as the better the amp, I think, the better to tell the difference in ultimate performance.
As you know I have pretty much everything in order to partner the SR3.
Anyway, price is not a factor of course and this headphone is really outstanding as you are going to find by reading the review.

May 29, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #152 of 281
As you know I have pretty much everything in order to partner the SR3.
Anyway, price is not a factor of course and this headphone is really outstanding as you are going to find by reading the review.
I regret that I didn't manage to listen to it at the Athens Headphones Show last Saturday. It was too noisy at the ground floor so I spent more time at the 1st floor with some flagships and exotic driving electronics. I am looking forward to your review!

May 29, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #153 of 281
I regret that I didn't manage to listen to it at the Athens Headphones Show last Saturday. It was too noisy at the ground floor so I spent more time at the 1st floor with some flagships and exotic driving electronics. I am looking forward to your review!
You should have tested it but on the other hand you better didn't because the comparison with your beloved NDH-30 could lead to non expected observations :ksc75smile:

May 29, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #154 of 281
You should have tested it but on the other hand you better didn't because the comparison with your beloved NDH-30 could lead to non expected observations :ksc75smile:
All for the better! Sound quality is what I love, not brands! That's why I strongly admire the NDH 30 and will not hesitate to say "I found something better under €1.500" when it happens. Actually, I wish it happens!
But since you said the above, you must now include a direct comparison with the NDH 30 also! :smile:

May 29, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #155 of 281
All for the better! Sound quality is what I love, not brands! That's why I strongly admire the NDH 30 and will not hesitate to say "I found something better under €1.500" when it happens. Actually, I wish it happens!
But since you said the above, you must now include a direct comparison with the NDH 30 also! :smile:
Difficult since I don't have it and I don't like to include comparisons by memory.

May 29, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #156 of 281
Difficult since I don't have it and I don't like to include comparisons by memory.
This is a correct policy. After all your fine and very accurate review of the NDH 30 is always there for everyone to google-translate.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #157 of 281
The SR3 has full aluminium ear cups and a metallic frame.
Build quality is excellent and I don't see how this headphone can have durability issues.
I also don't use the screws for the headband adjustment, the mechanism works pretty well for me.

My review is almost finished, I estimate to publish it in my website by the end of the week and later here in Head-Fi.

Comparisons with the Meze 109 PRO, Sennheiser HD660S2 and HIFIMAN Ananda Stealth are also included.
This should be good. I'm considering the 109, S2, and SR3 as my next purchase. I'd also like to hear your thoughts regarding the SR3 and Clear MG. The MG is one of the only sets I still regret selling.

May 30, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #158 of 281
This should be good. I'm considering the 109, S2, and SR3 as my next purchase. I'd also like to hear your thoughts regarding the SR3 and Clear MG. The MG is one of the only sets I still regret selling.
One can be very happy now buying at this price level. True reference level headphones start to appear, with admirable musicality (though not everything of the above is such). Neumann may have started it with the NDH 30 but I am sure others will follow very soon!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #159 of 281
I am in the same boat….. 109 vs SR3. By the way you are the one responsible for me getting the SR2 in the first place. I can’t remember the thread but it was one you said they were a step up to the AudioQuest duo. Now, I find myself looking to up another level. While I like my Arya SE, Edition XS, an Aeon Noire 2, I prefer the SR2s and the birds. So, what would it be? SR3 or the 109?

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #160 of 281
I am in the same boat….. 109 vs SR3. By the way you are the one responsible for me getting the SR2 in the first place. I can’t remember the thread but it was one you said they were a step up to the AudioQuest duo. Now, I find myself looking to up another level. While I like my Arya SE, Edition XS, an Aeon Noire 2, I prefer the SR2s and the birds. So, what would it be? SR3 or the 109?
Tough call. That's awesome, I'm glad I was of some help! I'm not a big fan of extended treble or extra heat in the presence region. I mostly listen to rock and metal, so a gracious out of the head experience isn't really my cup of tea. So Hifiman doesn't really blow my skirt up, but I do want to try the Edition X V2 some day should I ever find one. Based on what I said above, I'm not sure that the 109 is for me, but I will try it eventually. I like the smooth, detailed upper frequencies on the SR2, and perhaps even more so on my Kennerton Gjallarhorn. Have you tried anything from Kennerton yet?

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #161 of 281
I have a number of amps and daps and headphones. What do I use most all the time? The SR3, they are that good.

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #162 of 281
I have a number of amps and daps and headphones. What do I use most all the time? The SR3, they are that good.
I see that you have many expensive headphones. Is the SR3 really better than these in some way? Could you please write briefly how they compare? (resolution, balance, naturalness).

Jun 4, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #163 of 281
The SR3 has full aluminium ear cups and a metallic frame.
Build quality is excellent and I don't see how this headphone can have durability issues.
I also don't use the screws for the headband adjustment, the mechanism works pretty well for me.

My review is almost finished, I estimate to publish it in my website by the end of the week and later here in Head-Fi.

Comparisons with the Meze 109 PRO, Sennheiser HD660S2 and HIFIMAN Ananda Stealth are also included.
It is the end of the week! Any news about your review?:darthsmile:

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #164 of 281
I see that you have many expensive headphones. Is the SR3 really better than these in some way? Could you please write briefly how they compare? (resolution, balance, naturalness).
Yes, I have some expensive headphones and most are great to listen to. But to think that price denotes sound quality is something I have learned, can be a mistake but is gladly supported by manufactures of expensive headphones. To my ears, the SR3 are one of the most transparent and frequency balanced headphones on the market. I can hear where people are within the recording and instruments the same, when recorded correctly and to me, they can really transport you to the event. More than the Utopia and a number of other headphones. The sound is very clean and by that I mean honest to the recording. I hear spatial cues, the slap echo from the walls that are in the recording studio or where the recording was made, much like I would hear if there. They are also very comfortable to wear with no fatigue related sound or fit or weight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back