iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
Apr 13, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #136 of 281
Full potential would be from a very good source and amp. I didn't say full potential, at least for my comment, but the SR3 are not hard to drive and can sound very good out of some daps. Balanced out of the DX320, extremely good.
I understand, but why would anyone want to listen to headphones with something that won't bring out the best - you wouldn't know what they are capable of, plus they could potentially sound thin and fatiguing. I guess I've just always assumed that's what people mean when they ask that question. Would you say a full watt is enough to really make them sing?

Apr 14, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #137 of 281
I understand, but why would anyone want to listen to headphones with something that won't bring out the best - you wouldn't know what they are capable of, plus they could potentially sound thin and fatiguing. I guess I've just always assumed that's what people mean when they ask that question. Would you say a full watt is enough to really make them sing?
You said full potential. The sky is the limit then. But good quality solid music can be obtained by some good daps.

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #138 of 281
Oooo.....this says a lot about the level of achievement of the sr3.....coming from one of the best review contributors in this forum...

But genuinely, this needs to burn in for a better representation of this headset. I didn't realise this until i put on my good old hd558 again after putting it aside for quite some time and had a What moment why the impression is so different from when i initially compared them when i got the sr3 new.

Looking forward to both @voja and your review on this :beyersmile:
Thank you for your trust!

I have left for Easter holidays break and I have left the SR3 playing music.
I always burn everything for 100 hours minimum just to be sure!

BTW, the first listening impressions were out of the Mojo 2.

May 7, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #139 of 281
May 7, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #140 of 281
May 20, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #141 of 281
Hello,

I am currently looking for a good pair of headphones for Rap songs (Travis Scott, Drake etc.) and hesitating a lot. I don't really know what i should buy.

In my list I have these two :
- iBasso SR3 (600 EUROS)
- Focal Radiance (670 EUROS)
- Aeon Closed X (430 EUROS)

In term of bass punch whil maintening a good clarity which one would be better ?

I’ve already tested two headphones : Meze 99 and Focal Celestee.
The Meze 99 was too warm, it was like if everything was muddy with too much in the bass so I really didn’t like them.
For the Focal Celestee it was interesting, they sounded really clear, but there was just not enough bass impact/punch for me.

If you have some recommendations don’t hesitate to reply, i would like to not spend more than 700 EUROS on the headphone, ideally 600 EUROS.

In case you ask, for the DAC/AMP i can buy an iFi Zen Dac v2 or SMSL C200.

Thanks a lot in advance

(PS: I might create a forum post to have more recommendations)
Ive had at same time at home:
- SR2 (still having it)
- Radiance
- Aeon Open Flow OG

Ill recommend Radiance, but if you want something relaxed and cheaper, its a nice pick also.

May 20, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #142 of 281
After some time now and with a number of sources and amps, The SR3 are at the top of the list for a balanced full sound for me. They are a little better than my Utopia and out of all my headphones, regardless of amping or direct out of a DAP, the SR3 is what I now gravitate to.

May 24, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #144 of 281
I am in the middle of exploring SR3, but I forgot, which pads are the ones they originally come with, and which are the spare ones?

I recall smaller holes are the original pads, right?
Yes.

May 29, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #145 of 281
I'm still searching a worthy upgrade from my HD6xx (or addition to it) and my general media HD599 and I always end up with the SR3 which basically only has the headband adjustment (and durability) complaint but nothing against the sound and comfort, it would be an all rounder option so no separate HP for media watching. I'm bouncing between ideas like upgrading the Fiio K7 to the K9 and keep the headphones but maybe it would be wiser to keep the K7 and get this headphones. Or just do nothing, I'm already happy with my current ones 90% of the time.

May 29, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #146 of 281
I'm still searching a worthy upgrade from my HD6xx (or addition to it) and my general media HD599 and I always end up with the SR3 which basically only has the headband adjustment (and durability) complaint but nothing against the sound and comfort, it would be an all rounder option so no separate HP for media watching. I'm bouncing between ideas like upgrading the Fiio K7 to the K9 and keep the headphones but maybe it would be wiser to keep the K7 and get this headphones. Or just do nothing, I'm already happy with my current ones 90% of the time.
I have read of some issues with the earlier SR2 but the later SR2 and all of the SR3 are all metal and with mine, which gets daily use, I have never had an issue with the headband and recently, after doing some upgrades to my desktop amp the Cayin the 300MK2, the SR3 is the top contender and gets most all the use. I would take it over the Utopia as there is better bass control and more detail. I like the Abyss but it is heavy and not as comfortable. The separation and neutrality of the SR3 are excellent. The HE90 I enjoy a lot but they are thinner sounding.

May 29, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #147 of 281
The SR3 has full aluminium ear cups and a metallic frame.
Build quality is excellent and I don't see how this headphone can have durability issues.
I also don't use the screws for the headband adjustment, the mechanism works pretty well for me.

My review is almost finished, I estimate to publish it in my website by the end of the week and later here in Head-Fi.

Comparisons with the Meze 109 PRO, Sennheiser HD660S2 and HIFIMAN Ananda Stealth are also included.

May 29, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #148 of 281
The SR3 has full aluminium ear cups and a metallic frame.
Build quality is excellent and I don't see how this headphone can have durability issues.
I also don't use the screws for the headband adjustment, the mechanism works pretty well for me.

My review is almost finished, I estimate to publish it in my website by the end of the week and later here in Head-Fi.

Comparisons with the Meze 109 PRO, Sennheiser HD660S2 and HIFIMAN Ananda Stealth are also included.
To be honest, I would go to phones with a more epic sound quality. But it is all good. Sadly, many reviews seem to focus on cost rather than true comparison in sound. I go all the way to the Abyss, Utopia and the mighty HE90 from two excellent amps. Yes, they all sound different the the caliber of sound and build is there and price is secondary. But I admit, having a number of top tier sounding headphones is expensive and glad the SR3 break that barrier on cost to sound ratio.

May 29, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #149 of 281
To be honest, I would go to phones with a more epic sound quality. But it is all good. Sadly, many reviews seem to focus on cost rather than true comparison in sound. I go all the way to the Abyss, Utopia and the mighty HE90 from two excellent amps. Yes, they all sound different the the caliber of sound and build is there and price is secondary. But I admit, having a number of top tier sounding headphones is expensive and glad the SR3 break that barrier on cost to sound ratio.
It is fantastic but I don't think that it is a giant killer.
But yes it can hold on it's own against headphones like the Focal Clear Mg or the HIFIMAN Arya and tbh I now use it more than them but these headphones excel in certain areas better than the SR3.

May 29, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #150 of 281
It is fantastic but I don't think that it is a giant killer.
But yes it can hold on it's own against headphones like the Focal Clear Mg or the HIFIMAN Arya and tbh I now use it more than them but these headphones excel in certain areas better than the SR3.
I disagree then but not everyone likes the same make of guitar etc. But is it as good as some of the best out there? IMO, yes and price should not be a factor. But it also depends upon what you are using as an amp as the better the amp, I think, the better to tell the difference in ultimate performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back