iBasso SR3 — 150Ω version of the SR2
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #182 of 281
Thank you Petros! It is nice to see the sub $ 1000 category becoming hotter with finer and very capable additions. I think the iBasso SR3 will be a great success, though not coming from a traditional full size headphone maker. This makes it even more interesting!

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #183 of 281
I am not sure what we are seeing exactly in this picture of the driver:

1686334295509.png

Is it the actual driver at the center with "liquid silicone" at the circumference? Is it an unusual diaphragm that we see, or something covering it?

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #184 of 281
Well guys, here is my detailed review of the iBasso SR3 for anyone interested.

https://ichos-reviews.com/ibasso-sr3-review/

I will also upload here at Headfi in a couple of days.

Thanks for reading.

image.jpg
Your description of the Clear MG is almost exactly in line with what I was hearing. I miss that headphone, but I'm a little nervous to pick up another set. The driver coils would pop on mine at at louder volumes, some albums/tracks were worse than others.
After reading the comparisons in your review, I've decided I'm going to check out the 109 Pro for my next set of cans. Thank you.

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #185 of 281
Jun 10, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #186 of 281
Thank you! Observing the succession of the various parts and layers of the driver I still don't get what this dark gray disc at the center is. It looks like some material covering the actual diaphragm (the dome), but it is not included in the photographic succession. It has to be a very-very fine mesh not resolved in the photo to look like that. But then it doesn't make much sense to put such a material in front of a fast moving full-range driver, obstructing the air flow that bass produces. I'm still in the dark...

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #187 of 281
Thank you! Observing the succession of the various parts and layers of the driver I still don't get what this dark gray disc at the center is. It looks like some material covering the actual diaphragm (the dome), but it is not included in the photographic succession. It has to be a very-very fine mesh not resolved in the photo to look like that. But then it doesn't make much sense to put such a material in front of a fast moving full-range driver, obstructing the air flow that bass produces. I'm still in the dark...
No, it’s definitely some type of thin mesh fabric covering the driver, probably to keep contaminants from affecting it, and maybe providing some acoustic shaping also is my bet. You can see it really well in the review photo when you blow it up. After reading the generally glowing reviews thes phones are receiving, I wouldn’t let it bother me too much. You know sooner or later there’s going to be some modder out there who’ll pull that mesh off to see what these sound like without it. 🤨😁

Jun 10, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #188 of 281
Your description of the Clear MG is almost exactly in line with what I was hearing. I miss that headphone, but I'm a little nervous to pick up another set. The driver coils would pop on mine at at louder volumes, some albums/tracks were worse than others.
After reading the comparisons in your review, I've decided I'm going to check out the 109 Pro for my next set of cans. Thank you.
The Clear Mg is still my most used headphone.
I listen classical at quite loud volumes and never encountered this driver problem people are mentioning.
I also don't hear the high frequencies that pierced one reviewer's ears..

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #189 of 281
I had a good listening of the Clear MG and Utopia 2022 (along with my NDH 30) through the Naim Atom Uniti H/E a few weeks ago. Though I definitely preferred the last two as more balanced, musical and "complete", the Clear MG never showed a problem with bass heavy tracks even at louder levels. I don't listen at moderate levels only, I just don't listen at dangerous levels. I think that Focal chose wisely to let distortion appear at definitely not recommended levels.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #190 of 281
No, it’s definitely some type of thin mesh fabric covering the driver, probably to keep contaminants from affecting it, and maybe providing some acoustic shaping also is my bet. You can see it really well in the review photo when you blow it up. After reading the generally glowing reviews thes phones are receiving, I wouldn’t let it bother me too much. You know sooner or later there’s going to be some modder out there who’ll pull that mesh off to see what these sound like without it. 🤨😁
Looks like mesh to me. Could also play a roll in keeping the upper frequencies smooth and a touch shy. Now I'm curious if it's on my SR2.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #191 of 281
The Clear Mg is still my most used headphone.
I listen classical at quite loud volumes and never encountered this driver problem people are mentioning.
I also don't hear the high frequencies that pierced one reviewer's ears..
I thought the presence region and highs were about perfect. Perhaps I got a dud. I'm sure I'll get another some time in the future.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #192 of 281
I had a good listening of the Clear MG and Utopia 2022 (along with my NDH 30) through the Naim Atom Uniti H/E a few weeks ago. Thought I definitely preferred the last two as more balanced, musical and "complete", the Clear MG never showed a problem with bass heavy tracks even at louder levels. I don't listen at moderate levels only, I just don't listen at dangerous levels. I think that Focal chose wisely to let distortion appear at definitely not recommended levels.
I don't listen at dangerous levels. Same levels I listened to with my Radiance, which didn't present this issue. Being others haven't encountered this problem, I have a feeling it had something to do with the specs of my source.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #193 of 281
I thought the presence region and highs were about perfect. Perhaps I got a dud. I'm sure I'll get another some time in the future.
This is exactly what I am saying!
Almost perfect.
I can't understand how another reviewer found it fatiguing and prefered the Elex over the Clear Mg.
I guess that some of us must have a very different hearing perception.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #194 of 281
This is exactly what I am saying!
Almost perfect.
I can't understand how another reviewer found it fatiguing and prefered the Elex over the Clear Mg.
I guess that some of us must have a very different hearing perception.
Maybe there was a peak in there somewhere that his particular hearing detected. I thought the magnesium used in the driver domes really helped to mitigate that sharp, bright, metallic sound found in other Focal cans such as the Elex. The MG was clean, fun, musical, energetic, and exciting without any fatigue. Nicely detailed too with good resolution. Now I really want it back lol.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #195 of 281
Maybe there was a peak in there somewhere that his particular hearing detected. I thought the magnesium used in the driver domes really helped to mitigate that sharp, bright, metallic sound found in other Focal cans such as the Elex. The MG was clean, fun, musical, energetic, and exciting without any fatigue. Nicely detailed too with good resolution. Now I really want it back lol.
Well, I wonder what are you waiting for!

Unless you are planning to give the SR3 a shot..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back