Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Sep 14, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #421 of 915
Ordered the SR2 last night, will arrive tomorrow. Read a couple of reviews and the ones here on Head Fi convinced me.

Anxious to hear them and compare, which might be unfair, to my ZMF Verite Closed.

Do they need a balanced cable by the way? Since all reviews really seem to like the unbalanced that comes with it...
Welcome to the family!

It's not as though they need a balanced cable, but it is a nice addition. If you want to use them balanced, grab a balanced cable.

I learned that iBasso officially released the balanced (4.4mm) version of the SR2's cable. The balanced cable is called CB17, and it has a different plug housing than the original cable. The good news is that its widely available, you can get it from several stores in Europe.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #422 of 915
I myself am dubious as to the benefit of balanced in short runs..
I do however believe they need a LOT of running in before they really sing..

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #423 of 915
Welcome to the family!

It's not as though they need a balanced cable, but it is a nice addition. If you want to use them balanced, grab a balanced cable.

I learned that iBasso officially released the balanced (4.4mm) version of the SR2's cable. The balanced cable is called CB17, and it has a different plug housing than the original cable. The good news is that its widely available, you can get it from several stores in Europe.
Thanks! I'll first try them with the stock cable. Together with my iBasso DX160 DAP. Looking forward to it.

I myself am dubious as to the benefit of balanced in short runs..
I do however believe they need a LOT of running in before they really sing..
As in, 100 hours?

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #424 of 915
Thanks! I'll first try them with the stock cable. Together with my iBasso DX160 DAP. Looking forward to it.

As in, 100 hours?
Honestly they sound very much like speakers I've had with Carbon Fibre cones & those took hundreds of hours to really open up..My SR-1's have about 70 hours & I swear I hear the treble response starting to sustain better & better every day..

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #427 of 915
I joined to the family today. :slight_smile:

Attachments

• 20210929_152217.JPG
    20210929_152217.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #428 of 915
So, I made a impulse purchase from first owner, who offers SR for a good price. I'm curious to hear how these sounds compared to my Anandas.
OK, mission completed, tried for two weeks intensively and then decided to sell them. They are nice headphones, pleasant sound, but didn't fulfilled my expectations of warm sound with more bass then Ananda. I'm not a collector, I prefer to have only one pair. Following this experience, I visited audio shop and compared Ananda with various models from Focal and Denon with the same result. Nothing (up to 1500 EUR) comes close to planar bass. So next time I got hi-fi bug, I need to stay on planar technology. Yet to hear electrostatic, though.

Oct 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #429 of 915
I knew it was only a matter of time before these tiny screws failed in some way. Such a nicely built headphone with a lot of quality components, but these baby screws were a terrible decision. Not to mention the cheap plastic used in areas that it shouldn't be.

As you can see from the pictures (small, black, broken plastic) , the molded plastic screw inserts are very weak and fragile. Just way too small and flimsy to keep things connected with any integrity.

These headphones have only been sitting on a headphone stand for the past 5 weeks. Not used in that time, as I've been listening to my Quads. Without the molded plastic extensions, the screws used are to short to catch and tighten.

I had to hit 3 different hardware stores to find screws this small. Without the plastic molds, I had to find some that were a little longer. I bought several for when the other side fails. I'm just happy it was an easy fix, as I still adore these cans. My advice would be to treat and use these very gently.
20211006_204753.jpg

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #430 of 915
I knew it was only a matter of time before these tiny screws failed in some way. Such a nicely built headphone with a lot of quality components, but these baby screws were a terrible decision. Not to mention the cheap plastic used in areas that it shouldn't be.

As you can see from the pictures (small, black, broken plastic) , the molded plastic screw inserts are very weak and fragile. Just way too small and flimsy to keep things connected with any integrity.

These headphones have only been sitting on a headphone stand for the past 5 weeks. Not used in that time, as I've been listening to my Quads. Without the molded plastic extensions, the screws used are to short to catch and tighten.

I had to hit 3 different hardware stores to find screws this small. Without the plastic molds, I had to find some that were a little longer. I bought several for when the other side fails. I'm just happy it was an easy fix, as I still adore these cans. My advice would be to treat and use these very gently. 20211006_204753.jpg
Same exact thing happened to me. Months on my self on a stand. Pulled them out this week to use and the headband screws on one side stripped out of their weak plastic screw holes. IBasso has been responsive. I'm sending them pics of the issue, but I'll probably need to do the fix above (with the longer screws as suggested, thanks)

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #431 of 915
Ibasso received from fiio.nl. 399 euro.

First impressions, pluged to matrix i-mini pro3 via 4.4 balanced.

Spacious, airy, all rounder.

Ive been use convolver from crinacle, and i think the eq makes them better.

A nice "portable" headphone and easy to drive.

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #433 of 915
Wonder why there so many for sale here and on reddit?
Odd. I think people are going for something other than sound quality. I will compare them any day to the Focal Utopia I have and other top of the line phones, they are right there though they have a little more natural top end compared to the Utopia, that can induce a tiny bit of the metallic Beryllium.

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #434 of 915
Wonder why there so many for sale here and on reddit?
I think they are at a tough price point. Much better than the cheap stuff, but likely can't hang with the $1K headphones. We hear lots of comments about how they punch above their weight. Do they? Maybe for some people and not others.

I think it will be the same for the Apos Caspian. It is probably a great $499.00 headphone, but can it hang with a $749.00ish Magni? Probably not. And then why not spend the extra $250.00 up front?

I am interested in both phones but can't heIp but wonder if I will be underwhelmed against my Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and CFA Cascades.

To me, $499.00/$549.00 is kind of the entry level for mid-fi. Can these headphones exceed the great $599.00 headphones (Elex's and HE6se V2's on sale)?

Yes and no I would guess. So, lots being sold off.

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #435 of 915
I think they are at a tough price point. Much better than the cheap stuff, but likely can't hang with the $1K headphones. We hear lots of comments about how they punch above their weight. Do they? Maybe for some people and not others.

I think it will be the same for the Apos Caspian. It is probably a great $499.00 headphone, but can it hang with a $749.00ish Magni? Probably not. And then why not spend the extra $250.00 up front?

I am interested in both phones but can't heIp but wonder if I will be underwhelmed against my Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and CFA Cascades.

To me, $499.00/$549.00 is kind of the entry level for mid-fi. Can these headphones exceed the great $599.00 headphones (Elex's and HE6se V2's on sale)?

Yes and no I would guess. So, lots being sold off.
They without a doubt are as good as any 1K phones and as good as some costing 4K. The issue is, they don't cost enough out the gate so people think the lesser of them. Too bad for that type of mind set. I saw the same thing happen with a nice sports car in the 1970s. Poor sales, then they made a couple of small cosmetic changes that amounted to nothing but raised the price and wham, out the door they went. Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back