Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Aug 2, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #406 of 915
I currently have 11 sets of headphones (including a 10 year old set of Bose NC 'phones). In my ten usable, my top tier is Grado GH2's and Focal Elex's. A 1A and 1B, depending on the day. Close behind them is my CFA Cascades, which I also love.

Everything else falls into pretty good/really good, but I am looking to move several pairs.

I am very impressed by the M1570's. It is like listening to speakers with my Pro iCAN amp. Also enjoying the Argons, but they are hungry.

With all that said, I am very curious about the SR2's. I am all about the mids, as my Grado love will attest. :L3000:
To me, it's mids, bass and then treble.
Based on your frequency order chart, the SR2 is a really good fit. That being said, overall, the SR2 isn't as forward, aggressive, and energetic as something like the Elex. It's still plenty dynamic, but with a more toned down presentation overall. Imagine a vastly improved H6 - considerably more open with more space all around, vastly improved dynamics and detailing, better layering and separation, faster - tighter, mids slightly forward rather than a bit recessed, better bass quality/quantity, and a couple sprinkles of sparkle up top. The SR2 is much more engaging than the H6, and undoubtedly the most comfortable headphones I've owned.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #407 of 915
That is pretty cheap! I liked the SR325e's as they were my first introduction to Grado. Too bright for me, but it led me to climb the Grado tree. :ksc75smile:
I've read that the GH2 are the smoothest Grado's. Never listened to Grado's and I'm on Long Island, not far from their Brooklyn facility, go figure. I'd go the G12 route at that price if funds allowed for carefree headphone acquisition.
Sounds like the Elex has the SR2 sound sig. covered, although SR2 is more relaxed per @Mhog55.
So now the Elex has been thrown into the mix, noooooooo lol.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #408 of 915
I've read that the GH2 are the smoothest Grado's. Never listened to Grado's and I'm on Long Island, not far from their Brooklyn facility, go figure. I'd go the G12 route at that price if funds allowed for carefree headphone acquisition.
Sounds like the Elex has the SR2 sound sig. covered, although SR2 is more relaxed per @Mhog55.
So now the Elex has been thrown into the mix, noooooooo lol.
The Elex were just on sale for $599.00. They are Wonderful headphones, but very intense.

I think I will just work at selling some toys first and then grab the SR2's. I am becoming a little bit obsessed with them. :smile:

PS: If you ever get a chance to try/buy some used GH2's or Elex's you need to give them a try. Amazing!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #409 of 915
Has Focal addressed the Quality Control, Build, Driver Failures and Customer Service issues?
This is what causes me to hesitate picking up an Elex. Pity because sound signature description is appealing and appears to be an endgame headphone. I understand many haven't experienced these issue, but I don't want to be one of the unlucky few. Hence the appeal of the SR2. Just read an SR2 review that touted a positive pad rolling with Brainwavz pleather, search for "miniklangwunder ibasso sr2" and google translate.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #410 of 915
Based on your frequency order chart, the SR2 is a really good fit. That being said, overall, the SR2 isn't as forward, aggressive, and energetic as something like the Elex. It's still plenty dynamic, but with a more toned down presentation overall. Imagine a vastly improved H6 - considerably more open with more space all around, vastly improved dynamics and detailing, better layering and separation, faster - tighter, mids slightly forward rather than a bit recessed, better bass quality/quantity, and a couple sprinkles of sparkle up top. The SR2 is much more engaging than the H6, and undoubtedly the most comfortable headphones I've owned.
Again, that sounds good to me. I do Love my Elex's, but they are intense. After several days with them I need a more easy going headphone to relax and reset.

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #411 of 915
Has Focal addressed the Quality Control, Build, Driver Failures and Customer Service issues?
This is what causes me to hesitate picking up an Elex. Pity because sound signature description is appealing and appears to be an endgame headphone. I understand many haven't experienced these issue, but I don't want to be one of the unlucky few. Hence the appeal of the SR2. Just read an SR2 review that touted a positive pad rolling with Brainwavz pleather, search for "miniklangwunder ibasso sr2" and google translate.
I have been hearing about QC problems since they first came out, so there is no doubt that some people have had problems. However, they have sold 4,000 sets so I would say the quality has been overwhelmingly positive. There are a lot of people that have been scared off by the complaints. Those people are missing a hell of a headphone.

I have been buying from Drop for years and have had a few problems. Arrangements for replacement or refund were always done within a week. The Elex's are built to a price, compared to other Focal models, so I am sure a few corners were cut.

All I can say is that they are a top two headphone for me.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #412 of 915
Is anyone listening to their SR2 with some EQ work? Or do we all like and prefer it as is?
Even though I prefer the overall sound signature with the second pair of pads (larger but less numerous perforations), on certain tracks I yearn for some of that lost rumble. EQ'd bass shelf ~80 Hz does the trick..

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #413 of 915
Ughhhh,28 pages looking for a head to head with the SR-1,which I've had for 2 days now..I'm usually not quick to fall under a spell but the SR-1 has me completely,totally & unabashedly GOBSMACKED in just 48 hours!
So has anyone had a chance to compare them.I ask because the SR-1 is limited to only 500 pair & they are quickly selling out..I'm REALLY thinking I should get another pair to stash away but if the SR-2 is a big step up I'll go that direction & use the SR-1 sparingly..

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #414 of 915
Ughhhh,28 pages looking for a head to head with the SR-1,which I've had for 2 days now..I'm usually not quick to fall under a spell but the SR-1 has me completely,totally & unabashedly GOBSMACKED in just 48 hours!
So has anyone had a chance to compare them.I ask because the SR-1 is limited to only 500 pair & they are quickly selling out..I'm REALLY thinking I should get another pair to stash away but if the SR-2 is a big step up I'll go that direction & use the SR-1 sparingly..
I thought they were sold out a long time ago?

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #415 of 915
They are both excellent. The same drivers, a little different tuning. The SR2 is just a little more open sounding and bass impact is a tad tighter but I can live with either. And, I will compare them to any headphone out there. I enjoy the heck out of the Utopia but the SR2 at a fracking of the price are no less quality and the sound a little more organic. They compliment each other very, very well.

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #416 of 915
I thought they were sold out a long time ago?
There are still a few pair floating around out there,at least in the USA...

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #417 of 915
They are both excellent. The same drivers, a little different tuning. The SR2 is just a little more open sounding and bass impact is a tad tighter but I can live with either. And, I will compare them to any headphone out there. I enjoy the heck out of the Utopia but the SR2 at a fracking of the price are no less quality and the sound a little more organic. They compliment each other very, very well.
Sounds like the SR-2 is close to the SR-1 with the PT1 pads,which are more neutral & open,closer to the signature of the Sundara...I prefered the standard pads so I think I will grab another pair of the SR-1's then..Thanks much..

Sep 12, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #418 of 915
Just received my sr2 a few days ago! Loving it so far. Timbre is a big thing for me and I really loved the zmf auteur so sr2 being a bio cellulose initially called me.

I think the build is superb out of the box. First thing I noticed was the sub bass presence. Further listening I found it to be overall, a little dark actually - I think due to the gap between 1-6 kHz. My other headphone is a focal clear mg pro.

the semi closed nature reminds me of aeon flow open. The FR actually reminds me a lot of aeon flow 2 closed. As of now I don’t think it’s fatiguing in the slightest as I own a 250 ohm 990 pro, an msr7b and he5xx. I’ve owned sundara and ananda too. I find those to be characteristically brighter than the sr2.

Sep 12, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #419 of 915
Just received my sr2 a few days ago! Loving it so far. Timbre is a big thing for me and I really loved the zmf auteur so sr2 being a bio cellulose initially called me.

I think the build is superb out of the box. First thing I noticed was the sub bass presence. Further listening I found it to be overall, a little dark actually - I think due to the gap between 1-6 kHz. My other headphone is a focal clear mg pro.

the semi closed nature reminds me of aeon flow open. The FR actually reminds me a lot of aeon flow 2 closed. As of now I don’t think it’s fatiguing in the slightest as I own a 250 ohm 990 pro, an msr7b and he5xx. I’ve owned sundara and ananda too. I find those to be characteristically brighter than the sr2.
Welcome to the SR2 family! Always happy to hear more people enjoying & loving these.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #420 of 915
Ordered the SR2 last night, will arrive tomorrow. Read a couple of reviews and the ones here on Head Fi convinced me.

Anxious to hear them and compare, which might be unfair, to my ZMF Verite Closed.

Do they need a balanced cable by the way? Since all reviews really seem to like the unbalanced that comes with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back