iBasso released it,they named it Toucan
Jul 10, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #31 of 37
Looking really nice!
Too bad the amplifier vendors have not agreed on a common jack for balanced headphone out though

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #32 of 37

Quote:
Another amp, another connector.  At least they are making a balanced DAC to go with it and have balanced input. Looks like an improvement on the camera accessory connector the Protector uses though.  There's also Hifiman who took the obvious option and are using a TRRS plug.

I hope not, the 8740 is rubbish, seriously. People only like it because it's so rolled-off that it doesn't sound harsh as a Cirrus does with steep cut-off filter.  But that's another issue entirely...

How can a DAC chip be rolled-off? Is it the chip or is it the way the way the DAC unit is designed to sound rolled-off?

edit: Just want to add this from the 8740's spec:  "The internal digital filter has two selectable roll-off characteristics. A sharp or slow roll-off can be selected dependent on application requirements. Additionally, the internal digital filter can be by-passed and the WM8740 used with an external digital filter."

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #37 of 37

Quote:
Looking really nice!
Too bad the amplifier vendors have not agreed on a common jack for balanced headphone out though

yes, no matter how much I badgered them to start talking to each other, the proliferation continues. this one is much better though and at least there is one other unit using the HR10 connector, if this one becomes the standard, I wouldnt be upset. there are still better options IMO, but most are more pricey. this is a good compact and well built compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back