Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #421 of 455
So you settled on using your phone as source?

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #422 of 455
So you settled on using your phone as source?
For the time being, yes. I had some doubts at first because I don’t want to be disturbed by notifications nor distracted by any apps while listening to music. I just made a very simple shortcut automation: activate flight mode (cell reception off, wifi on), mute all notifications. Regarding apps, I try to improve my mindset not to open anything besides the music app. It works out well so far and if I can’t handle it right in the long run, I will probably buy the iBasso DX260 and connect it via Coax to the D16.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #423 of 455
After receiving D16/PB5 and doing some critical listening and comparing, I sold the SP3000.

I loved the A&K but now somehow relieved that I don’t need a DAP anymore and I have so much versatility now with my amps.
I am very glad you are enjoying the combination. It really is meant to be punctuation on sound and the enjoyment of music. It is meant to decrease stress and increase the pleasure of sound.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 15, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #424 of 455
I am very glad you are enjoying the combination. It really is meant to be punctuation on sound and the enjoyment of music. It is meant to decrease stress and increase the pleasure of sound.
Thanks for your feedback and I do so 👍 I think you nailed it with this combination D16/PB5, offering transportability paired with summit-fi sound quality and versatility. Great job!

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #425 of 455
There’s another really nice combo.

Attachments

• 99268b52-4081-46d0-8fa3-b30c21ae4c92.jpeg
    99268b52-4081-46d0-8fa3-b30c21ae4c92.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #426 of 455
Thanks for your feedback and I do so 👍 I think you nailed it with this combination D16/PB5, offering transportability paired with summit-fi sound quality and versatility. Great job!

Now, try to add to this combo iBasso's own 3T-154 IEMs :wink: I just covered these little budget gems in my review. including many different pair-up examples with various iBasso and other sources.

ibasso-3T-154-25.jpg

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #427 of 455
1713808933897.png

Any you guys looking for an upgraded interconnect for your PB5. I can say this customized Penon Totem interconnect is a clear upgrade. I am willing to bet it will be an upgrade from whatever you are using. Cus it is made of this stuff.
1713809031828.png

This cable material so happens to be Penons flagship Totem material which shown in above graphic. These make a clear difference vs the stock included interconnect Ibasso has included. Better dynamics, more body to the sounds, better enhancement of stage elements. All from this interconnect. This interconnect is using modular plugs which means I can change the plugs to palladium plated plug, Rhodium plated plug or OFC. All of which Penon sells. If your interested in getting yourself one. You can message Penon and they can make one for you. Their standard Totem interconnect is a bit too short so you will need to do a custom order. Send them a email if your interested and they can make one for you.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #428 of 455
1713808933897.png

Any you guys looking for an upgraded interconnect for your PB5. I can say this customized Penon Totem interconnect is a clear upgrade. I am willing to bet it will be an upgrade from whatever you are using. Cus it is made of this stuff.
1713809031828.png

This cable material so happens to be Penons flagship Totem material which shown in above graphic. These make a clear difference vs the stock included interconnect Ibasso has included. Better dynamics, more body to the sounds, better enhancement of stage elements. All from this interconnect. This interconnect is using modular plugs which means I can change the plugs to palladium plated plug, Rhodium plated plug or OFC. All of which Penon sells. If your interested in getting yourself one. You can message Penon and they can make one for you. Their standard Totem interconnect is a bit too short so you will need to do a custom order. Send them a email if your interested and they can make one for you.
What length is your Totem interconnect (in the photo)?

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #429 of 455
What length is your Totem interconnect (in the photo)?
It is roughly 5 inches. I have another one I got made longer at 8 inches. I initially thought I needed a bit longer one so I had that 8 inch version made but then Penon suggested the slightly shorter version with modular ends so I got that too. The great idea about the modular ends is that not only can I use Penons custom plugs which are all 3 upgrades vs standard gold plated copper plugs but I can use single ended plugs for my older portable amps as well.
1713841664049.png

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #430 of 455
It is roughly 5 inches. I have another one I got made longer at 8 inches. I initially thought I needed a bit longer one so I had that 8 inch version made but then Penon suggested the slightly shorter version with modular ends so I got that too. The great idea about the modular ends is that not only can I use Penons custom plugs which are all 3 upgrades vs standard gold plated copper plugs but I can use single ended plugs for my older portable amps as well.
1713841664049.png
Did you ask Penon to skip the black paracord? I believe Totem cable / interconnect is covered in black paracord (which is a shame, because your interconnect is so much nicer looking!)

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #432 of 455
because with tubes you will always get a coloration of sound, which i dont like. i am into flat neutral sound.
not necessarily...often I pick up the Oriolus BA300s portable amps and they dont color the sound in my rigs...

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #433 of 455
not necessarily...often I pick up the Oriolus BA300s portable amps and they dont color the sound in my rigs...
did a fast google search for reviews, opened three randomly and scrolled to the sound sections. all three stated that the Oriolus is not neutral, adds warmth and enhances the upper bass and mid bass response. didnt hear it my self though. on the other hand, why would you use tubes if not for getting a warmer sound signature?

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #434 of 455
I finally found away to carry this whole stack without removing IC cables
IMG_1893.jpegIMG_1895.jpeg
IMG_1896.jpeg
I have the 320 max and pb5. I’m wondering if I should get the d16 also? How would you describe the difference adding it to the stack?

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #435 of 455
I have the 320 max and pb5. I’m wondering if I should get the d16 also? How would you describe the difference adding it to the stack?
It depends for iems or headphones ? For iems, I think it gives a bit too much of the warmth together with the more dynamic punchiness, it may be too much for some people. IMO, if I use iems, I use it directly from D16. Unless I use headphones which is most of my use case, I pair with D16 for more dynamic prowess, better staging, layerings and cues of positioning. The tube timbres and the warmth comes with it. Best to pair with more neutral phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back