Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Apr 26, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #436 of 455
It depends for iems or headphones ? For iems, I think it gives a bit too much of the warmth together with the more dynamic punchiness, it may be too much for some people. IMO, if I use iems, I use it directly from D16. Unless I use headphones which is most of my use case, I pair with D16 for more dynamic prowess, better staging, layerings and cues of positioning. The tube timbres and the warmth comes with it. Best to pair with more neutral phones.
I use it for headphones mostly. Yes I’ve noticed warm bassy headphones like D8000 don’t pair as well with pb5. More neutral ones like the composer are fantastic pairing. So for neutral headphones you recommend 320+D16+PB5 and for warm headphones 320+D16 only? Did I understand that correctly?

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #437 of 455
Fantastic pairing!
IMG_0903.jpeg

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #438 of 455
I use it for headphones mostly. Yes I’ve noticed warm bassy headphones like D8000 don’t pair as well with pb5. More neutral ones like the composer are fantastic pairing. So for neutral headphones you recommend 320+D16+PB5 and for warm headphones 320+D16 only? Did I understand that correctly?
Yes! And honestly, PB5 has the slight warmth that I had to tackle with modification. Not much, but still something. You gotta try it first though. IMO, the D16 is the one that is most valuable. It has everything one could ask for, unless headphones is demanding l, then adding Pb5 is a great addition.

What I literally meant is that the PB5 is almost perfect, if you are really picky about something, then the warmth can bother you. However, I don’t think you can find another external portable amp that do have this amazing dynamic ranges, the punchiness and layering of the PB5.

Without the modifications, I would say that you can easily obtain silver IC to offset it somewhat, pairing with neutral headphones for the next experiences

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #439 of 455
Yes! And honestly, PB5 has the slight warmth that I had to tackle with modification. Not much, but still something. You gotta try it first though. IMO, the D16 is the one that is most valuable. It has everything one could ask for, unless headphones is demanding l, then adding Pb5 is a great addition.

What I literally meant is that the PB5 is almost perfect, if you are really picky about something, then the warmth can bother you. However, I don’t think you can find another external portable amp that do have this amazing dynamic ranges, the punchiness and layering of the PB5.

Without the modifications, I would say that you can easily obtain silver IC to offset it somewhat, pairing with neutral headphones for the next experiences
So you think it’s best to use the DAC and AMP of the D16 then and just do line out from 320 max as a source only.

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #440 of 455
So you think it’s best to use the DAC and AMP of the D16 then and just do line out from 320 max as a source only.
Well, honestly, I still love PB5 as an addition. It elevates the strengths of D16 with the exception of the warmth signature. It depends on preferences, though as much as I love neutral/references signatures, I found that warmth is still enjoyable as well. I was just stating the case in which some people may not be happy with PB5, because it isn’t exactly perfect. I think some people may even love that warmth as well. The pairing with PB5 is something that one can not forget easily. Hence I recommend you to give it a try

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #441 of 455
Well, honestly, I still love PB5 as an addition. It elevates the strengths of D16 with the exception of the warmth signature. It depends on preferences, though as much as I love neutral/references signatures, I found that warmth is still enjoyable as well. I was just stating the case in which some people may not be happy with PB5, because it isn’t exactly perfect. I think some people may even love that warmth as well. The pairing with PB5 is something that one can not forget easily. Hence I recommend you to give it a try
Yes I already have PB5 and love it with my 320 max. I was just curious if I should get D16 too

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #444 of 455
Think of this way....
Integrated Amp vs. Separates

Separates always winning out Integrated Amp by a far margin.
I will get the D16 if you say so! I just don’t feel I would get much use out of the 320 max then. It’s an expensive DAP to use just as a source. I could just as well use an iPhone instead? Should I sell the 320 max? Or maybe I’ll keep it for on the go use when I don’t want bring the full stack?

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #445 of 455
I will get the D16 if you say so! I just don’t feel I would get much use out of the 320 max then. It’s an expensive DAP to use just as a source. I could just as well use an iPhone instead? Should I sell the 320 max? Or maybe I’ll keep it for on the go use when I don’t want bring the full stack?
I have 300max Ti + D16 + PB5
Use 300max Ti alone vs stacks. Stacks are on another level in terms of warmth, 3D, Bass synergy, imaging, wider soundstage.

300max Ti to go mostly.....

Up to you with 320max. Doing wifi with stack is quieter than phone stack.....That's what I observed.

Choose a good silver IC from D16 to PB5.

I used my Note9 connected to stack to watch Netflix or music from Quobuz.....from time to time.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #446 of 455
I have 300max Ti + D16 + PB5
Use 300max Ti alone vs stacks. Stacks are on another level in terms of warmth, 3D, Bass synergy, imaging, wider soundstage.

300max Ti to go mostly.....

Up to you with 320max. Doing wifi with stack is quieter than phone stack.....That's what I observed.

Choose a good silver IC from D16 to PB5.

I used my Note9 connected to stack to watch Netflix or music from Quobuz.....from time to time.
Great advice! Thanks!

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #448 of 455
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #449 of 455
Are you sure that’s the one? Looks like a basic copper cable
1714234386146.png
Believe me this is one of the absolute best materials for sound you can buy with money. It has copper in it but take a look at what else it has. I did a full review for this cable which was initially made for IEMs. It is the same one that I got shown here. And it is using a palladium plated copper plug called the purple. I suggested it to Penon after trying it out on my modular version. It is the one to go with. Wait till some of the others get theirs if your skeptical.
1714234480323.png

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #450 of 455
No
1714234386146.png Believe me this is one of the absolute best materials for sound you can buy with money. It has copper in it but take a look at what else it has. I did a full review for this cable which was initially made for IEMs. It is the same one that I got shown here. And it is using a palladium plated copper plug called the purple. I suggested it to Penon after trying it out on my modular version. It is the one to go with. Wait till some of the others get theirs if you’re skeptical.
1714234480323.png
No I’m asking because I want that one so I’m checking if that is the correct one? The description on the link doesn’t say anything about the palladium, silver and gold. It only mention copper. And it’s only $79. So I’m asking to make sure I’m not buying a copy. Is that the original penon site? I see the totem iem cable is quite costly so I thought the IC would be more than 79 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back