iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Nov 28, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #1,307 of 1,604
  My PB2 is still proving it can add value:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633511/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xvi/18450#post_12113811

I've just hooked up my iBasso D6 to my Galaxy S3 and I'm absolutely stoked with the sound quality. Older iBasso AMPS/DACS are still very relevant today. My Oppo HA-2 whilst very good is now having a rest whilst I enjoy the rather pleasant sound signature of the dual wolfson DAC's.

I can't believe I had it for sale on eBay twice and nobody purchased it. I'm definitely hanging on to it now. It's an ugly stack compared to the oppo but man it sounds good. I think I may end up with the D14 as well!!

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #1,308 of 1,604
Just hooked my PB2 up to my HM901/NFB10ES2 an remembered why I own it, honestly the SE out is a step above that of my NFB10ES2 the balanced out isn't as good on the NFb10ES2 but considering the size I'm ok with that. I'm still just shocked at how clean an quick the Single End output side is! I know with my NFb10ES2 the SE is very slow compared to the Balanced out, though that's a Balanced Dac/Amp so I can understand that

How ever, driving the PB2 with a SE cable yeilds an excellent quality of sound out of BOTH connectors, the Balanced out is still the best output, how ever the SE doesn't fall to far behind [like the NFB10ES2 Single End does compared to it's balanced out] 

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #1,309 of 1,604
Holy crap D: I basso Changed their web site up AN they don't directly sell this bad boi any more! This puppys gone extinct! I really feel like a lotto winner having gotten mine while they were in production <.< I'm still impressed how amazing the SE output on this sounds! It's MUCH blacker an more detailed than the very poor SE out on my NFB10ES2 [though tbh it's a fully balanced Dac/Amp, the SE is just there for... well to be there lol] 

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #1,311 of 1,604
It seems like the web site is not complete yet. In any case I seriously consider buying a second PB2 as this amplifier is one of a kind, extremely versatile and will never get old.

well design wise it may never age  but for the moment it seems to be a challenge to find a new one <.< do you know of any one who can soder the LME 49990 to the 8pin adapters. I'd love to get a second one my self too >.> 

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #1,312 of 1,604
Here's some MAJOR nostalgia!

In 29 days my PB2 will be TWO years old Dx that's so crazy I forget that I've had it that long! 

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #1,313 of 1,604
[/quote]

Same here, sadley mine sits around collecting dust as I use the ifi idsd exclusively nowadays due to its long lasting battery on my long flights.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #1,314 of 1,604
Sell it!

I should talk - I've got stuff that hasn't been powered on in over a year.   
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,315 of 1,604

Am rather into buying not selling unfortunately, always collecting - that´s what attics are for

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #1,316 of 1,604

Same here, sadley mine sits around collecting dust as I use the ifi idsd exclusively nowadays due to its long lasting battery on my long flights.[/quote]

long battery life? My iBasso PB2 last me like 12 ish hours how longs the iDSD  

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #1,317 of 1,604
long battery life? My iBasso PB2 last me like 12 ish hours how longs the iDSD  
I do two 8 hour flights every 6 weeks and the IDSD has never empted. (16 hours). Plus should I need a top up, I can recharge via USB from power bank which I carry anyway with me. Can't do that on PB2

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,318 of 1,604
Do you have the Micro idsd or the nano? And I can understand that, I use the Pb2 most of the time when using portable amp because it sounds really awesome with my he-560s(balanced out) and my Earsonic SM64v2(SE out) but I have also read and heard from peoples whose ears I trust that the Idsd sounds pretty awesome. One of the best DACs heard under 500$

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #1,319 of 1,604
Do you have the Micro idsd or the nano? And I can understand that, I use the Pb2 most of the time when using portable amp because it sounds really awesome with my he-560s(balanced out) and my Earsonic SM64v2(SE out) but I have also read and heard from peoples whose ears I trust that the Idsd sounds pretty awesome. One of the best DACs heard under 500$
I have the Micro IDSD and absolutely enjoy it

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,320 of 1,604
0073d4ea_IMG_4598_iPod_Touch_6_Oppo_HA-2_iBasso_PB2_2x_Burson_V5_Dual_4x_LME49990-MB_x720.jpeg

I can't believe how good this sounds.

The Burson V5 discrete op-amps (fed by the Oppo HA-2's ESS9018K2M DAC) have a very natural, pleasureful sound that works very well with the HD800, yet with lots of detail and an inky black noise floor.The V5s are keepers (more on that in a moment) and I actually like them more with LME49990 as buffers than using dummy buffers - which is kind of a first for me, as I usually prefer using dummy buffers to squeeze out the last bit of transparency and detail, but together, in this configuration, everything is gelling very nicely with the HD800.

I've got a spare case for my PB2 that I'll be taking to a machine shop to have holes cut, through which the Burson V5 Duals can protrude - something like this mockup I've attempted to draw:

This combination of the Oppo HA-2 > iBasso PB2, equipped as shown, sounds so good with the HD800, I'm starting to think I should just sell my desktop gear:

Really, not even my beloved Metrum Acoustics stack sounds as good with the HD800 as this portable rig - it can't compete in terms of dynamics or detail, but is perhaps a little less fatiguing with "coarse" recordings like Adele's stuff.  Soundstage, imaging, and overall natural "rightness" is just superb with the PB2 configured this way.  

Sadly, I have a warning regarding Burson's op-amps:  

They are having quality control issues and seem to think it's OK to suffer their customers with problems like dripping epoxy (as reported in the Burson V5 thread) and misaligned DIP8 pins relative to the orange plastic case -because- they have a 30-day return policy and lifetime guarantee.  

That's all well and good, but the fact remains that  I'm not looking forward to re-packaging my great-sounding, burned-in V5 Duals, taking them to the post office, filling out customs declarations, paying postage, and waiting another two-weeks for a pair of op-amps that do NOT look like this (below) and...  might not sound as good!

Neither of them are square inside their outer cases.  Even the one on the left is twisted a little bit - not ideal, but the one on the right is ridiculous.

Why should we be inconvenienced by such easily avoided negligence - lifetime guarantee or not?

I'm not going to cut holes into the spare PB2 lid to accommodate these twisted V5s, so I've got no choice but to return them and ask for a hand-picked pair that are actually aligned with and centered beneath their cases.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back