iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Mar 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #331 of 1,604

Quote:
Thanks wuwhere - saw that.  Now I can tell my wife that I "Donated $300 for Japan Tsunami Relief." - and mumble something about a free amplifier.

I installed a PB2 "TopKit" and am very pleased with the results.  I didn't think I'd hear much of a difference and I don't know that I could describe that difference, as rolling the opamps takes too long for comparisons.  But I do hear a difference and I LIKE IT!

You meant a free portable DAC.
ksc75smile.gif

This is the DAC that I've been waiting for from iBasso. I didn't really like the DB1, it didn't have an SE out.

They listed the pre-orders. I'm #3, 1st from USA.

[size=medium]Six orders received. [/size]Mar 24th 22:00
[size=medium]1, K***** O***** Japan
2, C********* W******** United Kingdom
3, Y****** R**** United States
4, N******* S******* Japan
5, P*** J**** TaiWan
6, H***** C**** HongKong
[/size]

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #332 of 1,604

Quote:
It is not "Fully Balanced" in the sense of a complete balanced signal that results when the input is balanced.

I'm sure you're just clarifying...but I'll add that I never suggested those amps would provide a "Fully Balanced" output from a single ended input.  They will however provide a balanced output from a single ended source that many folks with balanced headphones seem to be happy with.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #333 of 1,604

Quote:
I'm sure you're just clarifying...but I'll add that I never suggested those amps would provide a "Fully Balanced" output from a single ended input.  They will however provide a balanced output from a single ended source that many folks with balanced headphones seem to be happy with.

That is what I meant. Thanks.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #334 of 1,604
Yep - that is what I meant.

And . . . I must be that #5 shipping to Taiwan.  Cool - I was hoping to make top 10 - that way I can pretend the free DAC bit is true.

I'd say I have a shot at receiving the first one.  My PB2 was in my hands 49 hours after I PayPal'd iBasso.

WRT the single in - balanced out vs. balanced in - balanced out:  SkyLab claims that the the SR-71B will go louder running balanced-in due to the higher voltage, but I guess that would depend on you SE source (which in his case was an iPad that he suspects is relatively low voltage.

Quote:
You meant a free portable DAC.
ksc75smile.gif

This is the DAC that I've been waiting for from iBasso. I didn't really like the DB1, it didn't have an SE out.

They listed the pre-orders. I'm #3, 1st from USA.

[size=medium]Six orders received. [/size]Mar 24th 22:00
[size=medium]1, K***** O***** Japan
2, C********* W******** United Kingdom
3, Y****** R**** United States
4, N******* S******* Japan
5, P*** J**** TaiWan
6, H***** C**** HongKong
[/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #336 of 1,604
Wow, iBasso has already donated the nearly $3000.00. That was fast. Such a great thing to do. 

2011327154439.jpg

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #337 of 1,604
can someone who has tried balanced cables with their IEMs please tell me if they've heard a significant difference? I just made a balanced cable for my customs and I don't hear a WHOLE lot of difference.. just more head room and overall tightness and some instrument seperation but nothing drastic? can't help but feel a tad disappointed after hearing all this hype about the balanced output.

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #338 of 1,604
With my balanced phones, most of the improvements are improved imaging, more stable soundstage and a more 3-dimensional musical presentation.   The difference is not night and day in most cases, but rather a more subtle sense of realism.  

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #340 of 1,604
Some opinions were offered right above your post. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #342 of 1,604

Quote:
I've never listened to a fully balanced setup and was wondering what kindof improvement I will hear them I get my DB2 and pair it with the PB2, will there be a good noticeable improvement?

For me, the HD650 open up and sound very good balanced and like a different headphone single ended. On some other there is a less noticeable change. I like the increased impact and imaging of balanced but it depends upon the headphones as to how much of a difference there will be, IMO. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #344 of 1,604

Quote:
Quote:
Some opinions were offered right above your post. 

Yes I saw those thanks but I wanted to know if adding the DB1/DB2 in to the mix would provide a noticeable improvement on not.
I'll be using the combo with my JH13/JH16/ES5.

Parrots wants to know what the difference is between a single ended and balanced source. I think Jamato and Hiflight have said the sound is a little more 3-D and imaging is a little better. Overall, it doesn't sound like the sound is completely changed, just made a little more realistic. Pretty much the same with the single ended and balanced output. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #345 of 1,604

Quote:
can someone who has tried balanced cables with their IEMs please tell me if they've heard a significant difference? I just made a balanced cable for my customs and I don't hear a WHOLE lot of difference.. just more head room and overall tightness and some instrument seperation but nothing drastic? can't help but feel a tad disappointed after hearing all this hype about the balanced output.

Several have answered and I agree headphones are different (improved) going balanced.  However, you were asking about IEM's specifically...and so far all evidence I have been able to gather seems to suggest that the improvement is not as pronounced as it may be with 'phones such as the 650's or RS-1's.  For this reason I have not yet invested in a balanced cable for my JH13's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back