iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Mar 21, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #316 of 1,604
So the DB2 is 19 mm longer than the DB1.  I was hoping it will be the same size as the first version.  Rollable low pass filter meaning you have to open the case to made adjustment and not a switch operation. Battery life is 20 hours as compare to 24 hours.  Hopefully there is real improvement with the sound comparing to DB1.  But the DB2 and PB2 combo is no doubt a formidable package, just wish the whole package is a little smaller.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #317 of 1,604

Quote:
So the DB2 is 19 mm longer than the DB1.  I was hoping it will be the same size as the first version.  Rollable low pass filter meaning you have to open the case to made adjustment and not a switch operation. Battery life is 20 hours as compare to 24 hours.  Hopefully there is real improvement with the sound comparing to DB1.  But the DB2 and PB2 combo is no doubt a formidable package, just wish the whole package is a little smaller.

Sure but just think about what you are getting in what really is a small package. A dual power supply, 24/192, multiple input balanced dac. There is a lot in there. And 20 hours of portable use is more than enough for me. I mean I can take this anywhere and pack along my LCD-2 or the JH13 or whatever other big or small phones I want and get some formidable sound. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #318 of 1,604

Quote:
Nice! Sounds really good. I am looking forward to impressions. I wonder how close the DB2 and the PB2 are to most desktop amps and DACs. Like 90%?

If they are 90% of an Anedio D1 DAC and a WA 6 SE, I'll buy two. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #319 of 1,604

Quote:

If they are 90% of an Anedio D1 DAC and a WA 6 SE, I'll buy two. 
atsmile.gif

My point exactly. I am sure they are close. Headphone audio has some pretty bad ROI. I really love my $26 recabled and modded Koss KSC75s. I have no problem getting "there" with them. Anything more is delicious sounding icing on the cake.

The Anedio and the Woo might really get you "there," but I am sure the Ibassos will do almost the same thing. I did not make it to the NYC meet unfortunately, so I can not tell you exactly how they sound. However, Warp08 uses the Ibassos to drive his Sony Qualias and I am pretty sure he says that combo is not far behind his multi $$$ home (not even desktop) setup. You might want to check out his reviews and ask him a question.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #320 of 1,604

Quote:
My point exactly. I am sure they are close. Headphone audio has some pretty bad ROI. I really love my $26 recabled and modded Koss KSC75s. I have no problem getting "there" with them. Anything more is delicious sounding icing on the cake.

The Anedio and the Woo might really get you "there," but I am sure the Ibassos will do almost the same thing. I did not make it to the NYC meet unfortunately, so I can not tell you exactly how they sound. However, Warp08 uses the Ibassos to drive his Sony Qualias and I am pretty sure he says that combo is not far behind his multi $$$ home (not even desktop) setup. You might want to check out his reviews and ask him a question.

I still have my D10 which I heavily modified (top kit & Blackgate caps). I mainly use it now as a DAC. I like the sound of the WM8740. Its amazing what these little portable audio equipment from iBasso can provide for aural enjoyment and at the price that they sell for. I prefer these tiny things than home/desktop equipment. They occupy so little space yet sound really good for the money.

Ibasso has been using the WM8740 for a few years now so they have a long experience with this DAC chip. With a dual WM8740, I'm sure they can make the DB2 sound like another winner.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #321 of 1,604

Quote:
I think the division of the power supply between the digital and analog section is a big step. I also like the idea of the rollable low pass filter. 

What exactly is a rollable low pass filter? I know what it means, it cuts off the high frequencies by a certain amount. Is this just a matter of a few dbs, because all headphones are rolled off a little bit otherwise they would be unlistenable. It sounds really cool. From what I understand, many tube amps do not have the most pronounced high frequencies, and their sound is admired. I like a sound with everything in it, but not sharpness or sibilance in the treble. It can sound really good, especially on certain types of music, to cut off the highs a tiny bit.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #323 of 1,604

Quote:
What exactly is a rollable low pass filter? I know what it means, it cuts off the high frequencies by a certain amount. Is this just a matter of a few dbs, because all headphones are rolled off a little bit otherwise they would be unlistenable. It sounds really cool. From what I understand, many tube amps do not have the most pronounced high frequencies, and their sound is admired. I like a sound with everything in it, but not sharpness or sibilance in the treble. It can sound really good, especially on certain types of music, to cut off the highs a tiny bit.

It depends on what frequency, what kind of filter and the components of the filter.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #325 of 1,604
Thanks wuwhere - saw that.  Now I can tell my wife that I "Donated $300 for Japan Tsunami Relief." - and mumble something about a free amplifier.

I installed a PB2 "TopKit" and am very pleased with the results.  I didn't think I'd hear much of a difference and I don't know that I could describe that difference, as rolling the opamps takes too long for comparisons.  But I do hear a difference and I LIKE IT!

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #326 of 1,604
Very stupid question but I have to ask you never the less. Even when you feed ipod to balanced amp, are you getting balanced signal out?

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #328 of 1,604

Quote:
In the case of the PB-1, PB-2, SR71b, and Protector...a single ended input can result in a satisfactory balanced output.

It is not "Fully Balanced" in the sense of a complete balanced signal that results when the input is balanced.

However, the amps split the single ended input into the positive and negative signals, resulting in the ouput being balanced. This sounds very good, from what I have heard and read. You are not getting the inherent noise rejecting characteristics that a fully balanced input would give you, but the pseudo balanced signal is still very good.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #329 of 1,604
Hi guys. Is my pic showing the PB2 in high gain? From what I understand this is the case.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #330 of 1,604
since receiving my repaired customs.. i can now determine that the difference single ended between PB1 and ipod classic is not grand. bass tightens up a bit, mids more forward, but the most noticeable difference is sound stage.. I'll make a balanced cable and see what happens.. i think headphones benefit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back