iBasso IT04 IEM, 4 Drivers. Enjoy the Music! Release: July 2, 2018
Sep 28, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,591 of 1,733
Sep 29, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #1,594 of 1,733
How is the synergy between the IT04 and DX220? Recommended?

Just to throw my own thoughts into the mix, I think there's a good synergy, and this is not unusual between iBasso products, since they will of course generally be based - with degrees of variation - around the same 'house sound'.

Regarding cables, I'm using mine with CB12s (which is the stock cable if I recall correctly).
I personally wouldn't describe the sound as 'thin', but rather as relatively reference and delicate.
These IEMs weren't tuned to sound like (e.g.) the IT01, which has a hefty emphasis in *both* the sub-bass AND mid-bass regions.

The way IT04 is tuned leads to a relatively neutral and linear signature, with a lift in sub-bass, but relatively neutral mid-bass.
This is why the bass can go very low and deep on songs that use this, and when you do feel it, you feel it more in impact and depth, rather than rumble and warmth.

I would sum up IT04 as being fairly neutral, with an expansive soundstage, very good soundstage and separation, and a lovely tinge of musicality. Excellent detail retrieval, but without compromising smoothness across the spectrum.

Using AMP9 with it is going to add a bit more warmth and richness, whereas AMP8 will probably increase the above attributes further still.

Ares II would probably indeed add warmth overall and more rumble to the bass, but I'm wondering if it might have the effect of lessening the soundstage and separation?
I have, ironically, 3 Ares II cables, a 3.5mm and a 2.5mm that I got with my EE Phantom, and an Ares II+ that I got with my EE Nemesis.
Unfortunately, they are all 2-pin connectors, and hence I can't try any of them with my IT04 :p

@Loke13 if you (or anyone) has Ares II, I'd love to hear more details about how it affects the IT04, including with regards to soundstage and separation?
Eros II is pretty analogous to iBasso's CB13 cable, so that would be interesting to hear more about too :)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #1,595 of 1,733
I have stoke cable 12s, eros II and ares II+ and all sounded great with it04. Basic differences between cb12s and eros are:
- eros plays more holographic
- fuller in the bass (is more mid bass, and sub bass is deeper)
- the treble is a bit smoother with more air, which makes the stage appear wider.

ea ares II + resolution is similar to eros, but it plays with more warmth, vocals and the first plan playing bit closer. it also have fuller bass and sounds deeper, but I use it mainly with amp9 and with Sony players, because with amp1 heard harsh

Attachments

• 20190929_143720.jpg
    20190929_143720.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 29, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,596 of 1,733
I have stoke cable 12s, eros II and ares II+ and all sounded great with it04. Basic differences between cb12s and eros are:
- eros plays more holographic
- fuller in the bass (is more mid bass, and sub bass is deeper)
- the treble is a bit smoother with more air, which makes the stage appear wider.

ea ares II + resolution is similar to eros, but it plays with more warmth, vocals and the first plan playing bit closer. it also have fuller bass and sounds deeper, but I use it mainly with amp9 and with Sony players, because with amp1 heard harsh

Hi, thanks for these impressions, very helpful!
Just want to confirm; do you have the standard Ares II, or the Ares II+ (this version is a 4-wire cable as well, but it has much thicker gauge wires)?

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #1,598 of 1,733
The CB13 also works well with the IT04. What ever you use, please Enjoy the Music!

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 30, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,599 of 1,733
The stock cable on these is great :)
BGGAR´s take on IT04, for anyone interested..

I´m seelling my pair, btw :p

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #1,601 of 1,733
I love the stock cable but recently tried EA Ares 8W with AMP8 - smoother highs, more rounded bass, greater sound staging and control. What you would expect from a quality copper cable. Also tried Ares 4W with AMP1Mk2 - similar but with greater mid presence, as you would expect from AMP1Mk2. Both are recommended but it depends on your signature preference. I have noticed that the most recent DX220 firmware update has changed both AMP signatures - AMP1 sounds better with the IT04 but my Empire Ears ESR sound better with AMP8. Previously I had liked both of them with AMP8.......

The CB12s also worked beautifully with CA Solaris and Andromeda when I auditioned them recently.

BTW have just put my IT04s up for sale - time to move on. Just like The Littlest Hobo.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #1,603 of 1,733
I re-bought IT04 yesterday, when I insert my left driver into the ear, I can hear some rustling sound? Could it be a driver flex, how can I mitigate this problem :D Thanks

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #1,604 of 1,733
I re-bought IT04 yesterday, when I insert my left driver into the ear, I can hear some rustling sound? Could it be a driver flex, how can I mitigate this problem :D Thanks

It could be. I get something like that occasionally on the LHS too.

Is it every time you fit it? The best way to limit this effect for me is to not insert too deep, just until the bass is there, try a different brand or size of tip, or use foam tips

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #1,605 of 1,733
It could be. I get something like that occasionally on the LHS too.

Is it every time you fit it? The best way to limit this effect for me is to not insert too deep, just until the bass is there, try a different brand or size of tip, or use foam tips
Every time I put the Left driver in there is the rustling sound like leaves got swept in the ground, I try many tips but the problem still there, I don't use foam tips because it is kind of uncomfortable for me :D The sound quality is, fortunately, unaffected, still very good and spacious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back