iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Oct 14, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #2,716 of 3,079
But does clearer and wider soundstage necessarily mean better? Do you mean clearer as brighter? Surely it's personal preference, and perhaps clearer and wider might be artificial colouration that sounds exciting but doesn't necessarily represent the original recording?

My Sennheiser HD580 headphones for instance are not regarded as bright but slightly veiled and pretty much uncoloured, almost flat. Took me a while to get used to them when I first bought them but I'm glad they're not brighter as I think that might flatten the imaging. As they are, everything has great depth.

I feel the same way about the IT01, that they have enough of everything. I used them while watching a movie on TV tonight about Martin Luther King called 'Selma' and was amazed by how clear and vivid everything sounded during some gospel music sections with voices left and right, seemingly in the same room as me. I'd be interested to hear the Anew U1 but I'd be very surprised if they were actually IT01 killers.

Oct 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #2,717 of 3,079
How do you remove the cable from the IT01s? It was easy pushing them on, but it doesn't seem like brut force is a good idea to pull it off.

Hi @tuckers,

As Paul from iBasso said, you can wedge them or what I find helps is with mmcx connectors, you can gently turn them in any direction & sometimes they will feel 'looser' then just gently pull them from as close to the connector end & IEM body as possible, should work.

Hope you have a great day !

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #2,718 of 3,079
Hi @tuckers,

As Paul from iBasso said, you can wedge them or what I find helps is with mmcx connectors, you can gently turn them in any direction & sometimes they will feel 'looser' then just gently pull them from as close to the connector end & IEM body as possible, should work.

Hope you have a great day !

This has been discussed before... check my post from a couple of months ago

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...e-driver-99-usd.865037/page-173#post-14431957

it includes a link to these.. for $2

Car-Terminal-Removal-Tool-Kit-Electrical-Wiring-Crimp-Connector-Pin-Extractor-Kit-Car-Repair-Hand-Tool.jpg_640x640.jpg

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2,719 of 3,079
Oct 15, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #2,720 of 3,079
But does clearer and wider soundstage necessarily mean better? Do you mean clearer as brighter? Surely it's personal preference, and perhaps clearer and wider might be artificial colouration that sounds exciting but doesn't necessarily represent the original recording?

My Sennheiser HD580 headphones for instance are not regarded as bright but slightly veiled and pretty much uncoloured, almost flat. Took me a while to get used to them when I first bought them but I'm glad they're not brighter as I think that might flatten the imaging. As they are, everything has great depth.

I feel the same way about the IT01, that they have enough of everything. I used them while watching a movie on TV tonight about Martin Luther King called 'Selma' and was amazed by how clear and vivid everything sounded during some gospel music sections with voices left and right, seemingly in the same room as me. I'd be interested to hear the Anew U1 but I'd be very surprised if they were actually IT01 killers.

It’s all subjective, what one person likes, the other person won’t, and they will have a completely different opinion.

I was told by a friend that the U1’s beat the it01’s, my reply to my friend, who knows his stuff big time, was that the ibasso it01’s were hard to beat for the price, and that I was skeptical of his claim.

Upon trying the U1, I really do have to agree with him. if you get the chance, try them out and see what you think.

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #2,721 of 3,079
Why is it so difficult to believe that the U1 might beat the IT01?

IT01 are nice but they aren't the ultimate at their price point IMO.

Take the Toneking Nine Tail for example, it has a very pleasing sound signature too but it's got better resolution and separation, it is tunable, its shells are made of metal and even the cable is better.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #2,722 of 3,079
Hi @mbwilson111,

Yes, aware of this though there are people who still ask, so it is good to keep repeating as much as possible, it's also great Paul helps as well.

Hope you have a a great day !

That was for the people who ask:) I just quoted your post for the context.

The tools are especially good for people whose finger nails break when trying to use them for that purpose.

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,723 of 3,079
Never heard of the Anew U1s but if I were to buy a new it would be a different signature like the Toneking T4 or ninetails.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,724 of 3,079
IT01 are nice but they aren't the ultimate at their price point IMO.
...and what is ultimate in that price point in Your opinion?
...and even the cable is better.
That one I honestly don`t believe. How much it measures @ impedance? If IT01 cable is soldered good (I believe latest ones are done with higher quality), then it measures 0.2Ohm.
I have same copper/"silver" cable OEM "wires" as 9tail uses and did my own cable with HQ jack/2-pin connector but it measures around 0.5Ohm (not that it affects sq noticeably) but cable material itself is much less flexible PVC and lot less strands inside than IT01 cable has.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #2,725 of 3,079
...and what is ultimate in that price point in Your opinion?

I just meant to say I find them a bit overrated in the sense that many seem to think you can't get equivalent or better sound at that price point. As an overall package I find the Nine Tail has got an edge in nearly every department but I wouldn't say they are the ultimate value at this price point either as there many others I haven't tried. As for sound only I don't think/feel the IT01 is superior to the Pinnacle P2, Alpha & Delta D6 or Whizzer A15 Pro for example.

That one I honestly don`t believe. How much it measures @ impedance? If IT01 cable is soldered good (I believe latest ones are done with higher quality), then it measures 0.2Ohm.
I have same copper/"silver" cable OEM "wires" as 9tail uses and did my own cable with HQ jack/2-pin connector but it measures around 0.5Ohm (not that it affects sq noticeably) but cable material itself is much less flexible PVC and lot less strands inside than IT01 cable has.

I don't measure my cables but the Nine Tails is said to be 7N single crystal cooper which if true is excellent specs. My comment was more geared at looks and usability however and whereas they are equally nice and tangle free I find the Nine Tails one superior due to it being woven tightly.

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #2,726 of 3,079
I just meant to say I find them a bit overrated in the sense that many seem to think you can't get equivalent or better sound at that price point. As an overall package I find the Nine Tail has got an edge in nearly every department but I wouldn't say they are the ultimate value at this price point either as there many others I haven't tried. As for sound only I don't think/feel the IT01 is superior to the Pinnacle P2, Alpha & Delta D6 or Whizzer A15 Pro for example.

I don't measure my cables but the Nine Tails is said to be 7N single crystal cooper which if true is excellent specs. My comment was more geared at looks and usability however and whereas they are equally nice and tangle free I find the Nine Tails one superior due to it being woven tightly.
So, mainly it`s Your subjective opinion... and that`s fine :wink:
Personally, I don`t find them over-rated. They sound very good at that price point but certainly there are better ones depending on subjective preferences, source gear etc.
Let me remind You that IT01 is great all-arounder with lot of details in SQ and very coherent sounding - just put them in and enjoy. That`s why it is praised quite much.
For me they are slightly too bass-oriented in stock condition as I prefer more neutral sided, with little warmness, slight U-shape signature (don`t like neutral) and that`s why I modded them.
Maybe Anew U1`s are "better" SQ-wise, I honestly don`t know but coming back to BQ, QC and SQ as whole package - I think it is above it`s price - HQ low-impedance cable, ergonomic design that fits most ppl, good accessories and great support/service/guarantee by iBasso. The latter comes very important for many end-users and typically chi-fi can`t compete in that with iBasso.

And You should really measure Your 9T cable, as lot of chi-fi claim having 7N (lol even 9N) cables while they are actually cheap and measure mediocre. Also, number of cores in each strand mean a lot (how many cores each strand of Your 9T cable has?) not just claim "single-crystalline". How You know it actually is 7N and single-crystalline? Well, in chi-fi it is actually hard to prove and I rather rely on quality brand name which doesn`t claim everything "popular" but show great result in real life :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #2,727 of 3,079
Personally, I don`t find them over-rated. They sound very good at that price point but certainly there are better ones depending on subjective preferences, source gear etc.
Let me remind You that IT01 is great all-arounder with lot of details in SQ and very coherent sounding - just put them in and enjoy. That`s why it is praised quite much.
For me they are slightly too bass-oriented in stock condition as I prefer more neutral sided, with little warmness, slight U-shape signature (don`t like neutral) and that`s why I modded them.
Maybe Anew U1`s are "better" SQ-wise, I honestly don`t know but coming back to BQ, QC and SQ as whole package - I think it is above it`s price - HQ low-impedance cable, ergonomic design that fits most ppl, good accessories and great support/service/guarantee by iBasso. The latter comes very important for many end-users and typically chi-fi can`t compete in that with iBasso.

And You should really measure Your 9T cable, as lot of chi-fi claim having 7N (lol even 9N) cables while they are actually cheap and measure mediocre. Also, number of cores in each strand mean a lot (how many cores each strand of Your 9T cable has?) not just claim "single-crystalline". How You know it actually is 7N and single-crystalline? Well, in chi-fi it is actually hard to prove and I rather rely on quality brand name which doesn`t claim everything "popular" but show great result in real life :wink:
Ibasso is Chi-fi too.

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #2,728 of 3,079

OK, glad you enjoy your IT01 mate. (I could argue with almost every bit you wrote but I just can't be bothered. :L3000:)

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,729 of 3,079
The IT01 is very good, in general, and extremely good, for its price, but it's not without its flaws -- and given the pace of product development in the chifi IEM market, it doesn't seem like an outlandish proposition that something new might be a bit better at the same price point. It also doesn't seem like something to get heated about, either way. : )

All of which is not to mention that preferences are subjective and everybody's ears are physically different...

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2,730 of 3,079
The IT01 is very good, in general, and extremely good, for its price, but it's not without its flaws -- and given the pace of product development in the chifi IEM market, it doesn't seem like an outlandish proposition that something new might be a bit better at the same price point. It also doesn't seem like something to get heated about, either way. : )

All of which is not to mention that preferences are subjective and everybody's ears are physically different...

lMzz52M_700wa_0.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back