iBasso IT00 and AM05 Two very different IEMs with one purpose, to Enjoy the Music!
Aug 6, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #571 of 1,036
Yeah, apparently you can melt the voice coil on a subwoofer if you run pink noise through it long enough. :astonished:

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #572 of 1,036
Yeah, apparently you can melt the voice coil on a subwoofer if you run pink noise through it long enough. :astonished:

416DADF6-2B12-4571-BD91-1CC6B642B4A9.jpeg

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #574 of 1,036
If you do a reverse image lookup on google for this image, it shows "toast" for those.

haha

It was some guy on HeadFi, who didn’t like the sound tuning and just rage burned them with a blowtorch. I can’t remember what they were; I think a KZ. I seem to remember they had an upper midrange bump he didn’t like or something.

Either way, it’s not worth getting that triggered over something IMO (life is too short). If you don’t like them, give them away to a friend or coworker or random stranger. Someone else may love them.

I recently saw another guy on HeadFi or maybe it was in the comment section of a popular YouTube reviewer. He didn’t like something minor about his brand new earphone, so he smashed it with a hammer.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #576 of 1,036
I tried a few things to lower that mids warmth a little, but couldn't find a reversible and reliable solution. So, finally I ran out of patience and pierced the front vent, lol.
9jpx3U3.png

Well, that's definitely a viable solution, but since it's non-reversible, I recommend to proceed with caution! Oh, and pretty sure this will void your warrenty! With that said, most importantly, you'll need a very thin and sharp needle. I used a 40 gauge felting needle, which is thinner and sharper than any regular needle I know:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=40+Gauge+Needle+Felting+Needle&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The mod itself is easy, the front vent is the one closer to the nozzle. The mesh behind it is quite sturdy, hence repeated (but careful!) piercing might be necessary. There's quite a bit of headroom between the mesh and the driver, so if you do it carefully, the risk of harming the driver is very low.

Anyway, this has lowered the bass range considerably on my IT00, and though there's still some slight mids warmth from a little bump around 300Hz, the overall sound signature is clearly more neutral now. Note that the mod still retains nice slam and sub-bass, which sounds more prominent than it looks in the graph imo. Overall, I'm very happy with the result and the IT00 sounds pretty awesome with all my test tracks now.

Again, this mod isn't for everyone and only recommended, if you know what you're doing... but if the stock sound is too warm / bassy for you, this might be the way to go.

(DF-compensated; grey = IT00 stock, green = IT00 tgx78 mod, blue + red = IT00 L/R front vent mod)

S28PwYm.jpg
I used a 40 gauge felting needle, which is thinner and sharper than any regular needle I know:
The mod itself is easy, the front vent is the one closer to the nozzle. The mesh behind it is quite sturdy, hence repeated (but careful!) piercing might be necessary. There's quite a bit of headroom between the mesh and the driver, so if you do it carefully, the risk of harming the driver is very low.

Anyway, this has lowered the bass range considerably on my IT00, and though there's still some slight mids warmth from a little bump around 300Hz, the overall sound signature is clearly more neutral now. Note that the mod still retains nice slam and sub-bass, which sounds more prominent than it looks in the graph imo. Overall, I'm very happy with the result and the IT00 sounds pretty awesome with all my test tracks now.
So, basically: IT00 + front vent mod = poor man's Dunu Luna.
9jpx3U3.png
Amazon's analytics are going to go sideways, trying to cipher why 40 gauge needle sales spiked.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #578 of 1,036
:beerchug:
@Slater they were Faaeals, and I wasn’t prepared to inflict them on anyone else.

Ah yeah the Hibiscus. I remember now!

I would have taken them off your hands; at least for use as a cool clear shell and replace the stock driver for something different :frowning2:

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #579 of 1,036
I can’t believe I let these sit for a few days before trying them. Work.....

Well. My initial impression straight out of the box...

INSANE

I never liked IEMs...had SHURE / WESTONE years ago, can’t remember the models, Shure was $250, WESTONE was $325...second (ear) hand...a few other budget IEMs...sold them after a week.

Took 7 years off from this hobby and I feel like I hit the lottery. These are a no brainer.

Attachments

• DBBDEC6F-07DD-4225-81D0-815DEE85CA3C.jpeg
    DBBDEC6F-07DD-4225-81D0-815DEE85CA3C.jpeg
    902.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 9A9735C0-7C91-40DA-A896-139BF407DD55.jpeg
    9A9735C0-7C91-40DA-A896-139BF407DD55.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #580 of 1,036
Ah yeah the Hibiscus. I remember now!

I would have taken them off your hands; at least for use as a cool clear shell and replace the stock driver for something different :frowning2:

I was young and foolish. I haven’t set fire to the a6 minis yet if you want those for a mod base :)

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #581 of 1,036

INSANE

I never liked IEMs...had SHURE / WESTONE years ago, can’t remember the models, Shure was $250, WESTONE was $325...second (ear) hand...a few other budget IEMs...sold them after a week.

Took 7 years off from this hobby and I feel like I hit the lottery. These are a no brainer.

Where did you get the CF01? I can’t find them anywhere.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #583 of 1,036

INSANE

Definitely a no brainer.

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #585 of 1,036
Zero fatigue after 2.25 hours!!!
This is precisely why the IT00 is my top recommendation at the price point. At first, when I say the IT00 is simply the best at its price point, there are many doubters. Now, I am glad to see many happy users of the IT00. It is all about being credible and only recommend stuffs that are truly good. This is why I didn't recommend the hyped Starfield/T4 as they did not meet my standard at all. As mentioned in my previous post earlier, it is all about the fundamentals- reference point, experience and listening preferences. The more seasoned one is, the easier it is to discern what's good sound. Ultimately, I can't say this enough, enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back