Ibasso DX90 - which headphones do you prefer to use with DX90?
Sep 11, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 127
Any you guys using LCD-2 with DX90.... ?
How is the pairing ? Just out the DX90 with no amp stack, how do they hold up on the lower end....muddy/uncontrolled sub-bass/bass ?

mWatts into 60 ohms ?

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 127
I have the DX90 broken it in along with a pair of GRADO 225e and was wondering if the 650s would do well with the DX90 by itself using it's own amp?

I also have a FIIO e17 that I could use as a straight AMP, but am not sure that it would make an appreciable difference over what the DX90 can do with its internal amp...

I could also USB DAC/AMP my hometheater PC running Foobar2000 with the FIIO e17 into the HD650s as well....

Also, I have a Set of Sennheiser RS-180s, which obviously wouldn't be portable, but I wonder if they might be a better match with a DX90 since they are self-amped? 

Opinions?

And thank you for taking a look!

Ken N.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #19 of 127

How is Koss Porta Pro with it ?

I just tried the porta pro directly with DX90 and sounds great. The bass is full and hard hit enough without sounding boomy. The overall signature feels like analogue especially on the mids and highs. I compared it side by side with the KEF-M500. The M500 sounds heavily colored and feels like you are listening to a completely different song. 

I'm actually looking to get a Grado RS2e next but for the price I'll take the porta pro any time as a mobile companion for DX90. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #20 of 127

I just tried the porta pro directly with DX90 and sounds great. The bass is full and hard hit enough without sounding boomy. The overall signature feels like analogue especially on the mids and highs. I compared it side by side with the KEF-M500. The M500 sounds heavily colored and feels like you are listening to a completely different song. 

I'm actually looking to get a Grado RS2e next but for the price I'll take the porta pro any time as a mobile companion for DX90. 

Thank you mate
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #21 of 127
I am using the V-Moda M-80 phones with my DX90, and it sounds wonderful.  I have tried my Senn HD600 phones with it, but the DX90 doesn't quite have the power to drive them like they should be driven.  Anybody else using V-Moda phones with the DX-90?

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #22 of 127
I am using the V-Moda M-80 phones with my DX90, and it sounds wonderful.  I have tried my Senn HD600 phones with it, but the DX90 doesn't quite have the power to drive them like they should be driven.  Anybody else using V-Moda phones with the DX-90?

Thank you for the response! I've searched the other threads, and it seems that the general consensus is that the 650s will be too much for the dx90 to drive properly, so I'm having an ASGARD amp delivered tomorrow as well... At least I'll be able to hear the before and after effects of DX90-direct to HD-650s vs DX90 in to ASGARD to HD-650s.

Now do you guys think I'm nuts for trying this, and I should just buy a dedicated DAC like the LOKI or BIFROST, or will the presence of either the DX90 or FIIO e17 be "powerful-enough" enough of DACs to make an appreciable difference from my HP8120n with a Creative Labs Audigy sound card? (I'm typically playing 24/192 with the occasional CD-restricted quality file as I've got about 16TB dedicated to music storage, so I'm not too concerned about file sizes. Just want to get the best I can out of this to see what it is capable of. Next step may well-be a reference-quality vinyl source!)

I believe I might have the answers already, but I don't know enough to make sweeping assumptions about what will be the best solution.

Funny, my $500 start has rapidly-become a $1500 start, and it seems that I'm still only scratching the surface, so I at least want to be as efficient as I can be with what I'm spending...

(You guys are probably all laughing your collective BUTTS off at me right about now, but hey, we all have to start somewhere, right?)

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #23 of 127
UPDATE:

My friendly-neighborhood UPS driver delivered my new Sennheiser HD-650 headphones and SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2 headphone amp this morning!

I have them hooked-up and burning-in today while I'm working, so I will take a listen to them tonight to see how they sound with 8-plus hours of burn-in VS how I recall they initially-sounded "out of the box".

My intentions are to test the following:

* Audio direct from the iBASSO DX90 into the Grado SR-225e headphones
* Audio direct from the iBASSO DX90 into the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones

* Audio direct from the DX90 through the FIIO e17 (amp-only) into the Grado SR-225e headphones
* Audio direct from the DX90 through the FIIO e17 (amp-only) into the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones
* Audio direct from the DX90 through the SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2 headphone amp into the Grado SR-225e headphones
* Audio direct from the DX90 through the SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2 headphone amp into the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones

* Audio from the HTPC running Foobar2000 through the FIIO e17 as DAC and amp to both headphones
* Audio from the HTPC running Foobar2000 through the iBASSO DX90 as DAC and amp to both headphones
* Audio from the HTPC running Foobar2000 through the FIIO e17 as DAC ONLY through SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2 amp to both headphones
* Audio from the HTPC running Foobar2000 through the iBASSO DX90 as DAC ONLY through SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2 amp to both headphones

If anyone wants to know my thoughts one of these combinations with either the Sennhesier RS-180 wireless headphones or even my "cheapie" Photive PH-BTX6 Bluetooth headphones, (They have a "corded connection" option as well.) just let me know and I will find the time to do an evaluation as well.

Fingers crossed!

Ken N.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #24 of 127
I prefer IEM - Yamaha EPH-100. This combo sounds superb, refined, spacious sound with a very pleasant warmer tonality. Even Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 Ohm) sounds very good, although i choose high gain with it - stronger bass, better overall tonality (than on low or mid gain) Especially high res files like FLACs sound very natural to me with DT 990, I was a bit afraid it might be a bit too bright combo (DT 990 +DX90) but I am positively surprised. iBasso DX90 is a neutral sounding DAP for me and I am very satisfied with that - you can choose phones according to your preferences, great flexibility indeed.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #25 of 127
Just got my DX90 and currently using with some old ATH-M20's for commuting / work etc. They're very cheap 'phones but the sound is surprisingly detailed and pretty good sense of space with the DX90. Easily driven to good volume on low gain. They don't block much ambient noise, though. I'll probably pick up something better soon but in the meantime, the ATH-M20's are working better than I thought they would.

Like Lohb, I'm also wondering what the LCD-2's would be like with the DX90? - I fancy something a bit warm / lush to plug into for home listening...

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #26 of 127
  Just got my DX90 and currently using with some old ATH-M20's for commuting / work etc. They're very cheap 'phones but the sound is surprisingly detailed and pretty good sense of space with the DX90. Easily driven to good volume on low gain. They don't block much ambient noise, though. I'll probably pick up something better soon but in the meantime, the ATH-M20's are working better than I thought they would.

Like Lohb, I'm also wondering what the LCD-2's would be like with the DX90? - I fancy something a bit warm / lush to plug into for home listening...

I think LCD-2 out DX90 would just be a stop-gap....though with the very latest LCD-2 they are supposed to be super easy to drive but whether the bass control would be there is another thing....I drove the older LCD-2 out my clipzip just to see if it was possible...sound was fine but not what they are fully capable of

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #27 of 127
I should add that I have a pair of Sennheiser hd-595 headphones with a bunch of mods (including a nice DIY silver cable) that I bought off of a head-fier from here - they actually sing quite nicely with the dx90 when on high gain and at about 238 volume.  I wish this set-up would work on long plane rides, but obviously the open back headphone design wouldn't work well in that environment.  Any suggestions for a really good match of closed back headphones for the dx-90 for long trips?  I have the v-moda M80s now for that, but I am tempted to upgrade.  The hd-595s really have sparkling highs and a nice neutral sound when matched with the dx90 at high gain and relatively high volume.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #28 of 127
Portable

koss porta pro

Freakin' GENIUS!!!!

These sound so good, I saw no reason to keep the Grado 225e set!  (More comfortable too!)

Easily the BEST advice I've gotten since I started this whole "sound-quest" adventure!

Oh, and best of all, the battery life with the Porta Pros is actually a little bit BETTER than I get with any other headphones.  Bonus!

THANK YOU

Ken's Current Beginner's Setup:
darthsmile.gif

PORTABLE #1- iPhone 4s/5 --> FIIO e17 AMP --> Photive PH-BTX6  (closed back/neighbor-friendly + good Bluetooth option)
PORTABLE #2- DX90 --> Koss Porta Pros (Replaced the GRADOs)
HOME #1- HTPC --> Foobar 2000 --> FIIO e17 DAC --> RS-180 (TV, Movies, ROCK, MODERN/Techno)
HOME #2- HTPC --> Foobar 2000 --> FIIO e17 DAC --> SCHIIT ASGARD --> HD-650 (Classical, Jazz, Blues, LIVE concerts, "World Music")

Ken's 2016 "Dream" Setup:
atsmile.gif

HOME - HTPC --> Foobar 2000/Current version --> CHORD HUGO DAC/Current Model --> SCHIIT ASGARD --> HD-650 (Classical, Jazz, Blues, LIVE concerts, "World Music")

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 127

Freakin' GENIUS!!!!

These sound so good, I saw no reason to keep the Grado 225e set!  (More comfortable too!)

Easily the BEST advice I've gotten since I started this whole "sound-quest" adventure!

Oh, and best of all, the battery life with the Porta Pros is actually a little bit BETTER than I get with any other headphones.  Bonus!

THANK YOU

Ken's Current Beginner's Setup:
darthsmile.gif

PORTABLE #1- iPhone 4s/5 --> FIIO e17 AMP --> Photive PH-BTX6  (closed back/neighbor-friendly + good Bluetooth option)
PORTABLE #2- DX90 --> Koss Porta Pros (Replaced the GRADOs)
HOME #1- HTPC --> Foobar 2000 --> FIIO e17 DAC --> RS-180 (TV, Movies, ROCK, MODERN/Techno)
HOME #2- HTPC --> Foobar 2000 --> FIIO e17 DAC --> SCHIIT ASGARD --> HD-650 (Classical, Jazz, Blues, LIVE concerts, "World Music")

Ken's 2016 "Dream" Setup:
atsmile.gif

HOME - HTPC --> Foobar 2000/Current version --> CHORD HUGO DAC/Current Model --> SCHIIT ASGARD --> HD-650 (Classical, Jazz, Blues, LIVE concerts, "World Music")

You bet! I have enjoyed them for years, in fact I have 3 pair. 1 rewired with very expensive stuff, that improves other phones but for the PPs, I like them with the stock cable. I just use the foams that have about the size of a quarter taken out of the middle. The mids improve some and the bass is even cleaner. The pads cost about 5 dollars or so. Inexpensive fun and a true bargain. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #30 of 127

I think LCD-2 out DX90 would just be a stop-gap....though with the very latest LCD-2 they are supposed to be super easy to drive but whether the bass control would be there is another thing....I drove the older LCD-2 out my clipzip just to see if it was possible...sound was fine but not what they are fully capable of

Sure, though what would you change after? an amp (portable?) in between or another source entirely? I just want something that's portable enough to move around the house fairly easily...Will probably get some IEM's as well for out and about.

knorris908 point about the portas is good - I'm presuming the harder to drive phones will be quite a bit heavier on the battery....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back