iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Feb 18, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #391 of 864
Feb 18, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #392 of 864

Quote:

There is a golden pin soldered into the player's board. Its purpose is to ground the metal battery cover. There is a hole in the back panel for the pin to go through. But, the back panel has a conductive tape inside, for electrical contact between the battery holder and the battery cover. In my DX90, the tape prevented the pin to go through the hole.

But if the pin touches the conductive tape, and the tape touches the metal battery cover, the pin  is grounded through the conductive tape to the metal battery cover, right?

I cut the conductive tape , but the pin, that is spring loaded, doesn't come out enough to touch the metal battery cover, it just sits not flush to the back panel. So what do I do now? :puzzled

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #393 of 864
I also punctured the tape covering the gold pin as it wasn't showing on my device either (also one of the early batches). Lurker0 didn't mention anything about scraping the back cover, so not sure about that part yet :p

But if the pin touches the conductive tape, and the tape touches the metal battery cover, the pin  is grounded through the conductive tape to the metal battery cover, right?

I cut the conductive tape , but the pin, that is spring loaded, doesn't come out enough to touch the metal battery cover, it just sits not flush to the back panel. So what do I do now? :puzzled

I think it sticks out just enough for it to touch the cover. Hard to judge from that angle. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #394 of 864
good day,

i've read the postings containing tips about bringing the "golden pin" up to get the backplate contact.
I DID NOT recommend to do this with a nail/pin penetrating the tape closed hole to lift the golden pin.
( oh my god this is not ment sexual, LOL )

You could damage your DX90 inside, if tossing the nail deep down into the hole and if conductive tape
falls into the unit it could fast give a electrical short.

EASIER and LESS DANGEROUS is:

1. Remove the "Battery Backplate" by sliding it up
2. Remove the Battery
3. Remove ALL little > 7 < screws as shown. ( using the right fine screwdriver )
4. Remove the "closed hole plastic plate" by sliding it down. ( easy sliding like the backplate )
5. Flip this plate to see the conductive tape at the back. ( you will notice that there is a small hole for the pin already,
but not at the right place, uhhg manufacture... )
6. Take your favourite rasor / med / bounty knife to cut a fine square of tape away.
You have to clean cut ROUND the "OVAL HOLE" at the right side as shown.
7. Remove the inner tape rest to uncover the hole. Take some breath to spray out rests of conductive tape.
8. Reassemble the unit : slide Plastic Plate back to place, fasten ALL screws, insert the Battery,
slide the Backplate at it's place.

The is no really need to scratch the Battery Backplate for having contact. Sliding the Battery Cover two or
three times with a outstanding golden pin does the same scratchin.

Damn, i am sorry i wanted to upload some pictures but my account is limited at first postings.
Maybe i could upload them later to finish this how to. :mad:

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #396 of 864
  I confirm that on my device the golden pin doesn't come out from the hole enough to touch the metal battery cover, see pic. What to do?

Mine was like that at first, try and check if the tape is still grabbing it a little somewhere. Mine was spring loaded. Get something on the edge of the pin and try to pryer it up (it should come up a tiny bit above flush) When it comes up just press it up and down a few times and it should start springing up normally.

Please be careful doing all this, we're dealing with an expensive unit. Nice and slow, even it takes you 15 minutes.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #399 of 864

I've had a look at mine too and it's also covered. I would have thought the same, the pin touches the tape, the tape touches the case...grounded?

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #400 of 864
I sorted my problem! I took the back panel apart, see pics, the spring of the golden pin is quite weak, and due to manifacturing tolerance, the pin itself rubbed against one side of the hole, which is supposed to pass into,  it couldn't come all the way out. So I took a sharp knife and enalrged the hole, see pics, and now it gets completely out and touches the metal battery cover!

Thanks to clickNcuts for tutorial on how to remove back panel. It's very easy, all operation took me about half an hour.
I took a listen before and after, and highs seem to me clearer and more sparkling, but maybe it's just suggestion :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #401 of 864

I've had a look at mine too and it's also covered. I would have thought the same, the pin touches the tape, the tape touches the case...grounded?

I think the answer is clear once you remove the back plastic panel: the tape is black on the downside, I think it is not conductive on this part, while the silver upper part is conductive. Since the pin pushes on the black part, it is not grounded, but isolated.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #402 of 864

I think the answer is clear once you remove the back plastic panel: the tape is black on the downside, I think it is not conductive on this part, while the silver upper part is conductive. Since the pin pushes on the black part, it is not grounded, but isolated.

Ah OK, gotcha!

It would be interesting to see or hear about newer batches and possible design revisions in regards to this....or even a statement from iBasso in terms of this potential design mishap.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #404 of 864
good day,

i've read the postings containing tips about bringing the "golden pin" up to get the backplate contact.
I DID NOT recommend to do this with a nail/pin penetrating the tape closed hole to lift the golden pin.
( oh my god this is not ment sexual, LOL )

You could damage your DX90 inside, if tossing the nail deep down into the hole and if conductive tape
falls into the unit it could fast give a electrical short.

EASIER and LESS DANGEROUS is:

1. Remove the "Battery Backplate" by sliding it up
2. Remove the Battery
3. Remove ALL little > 7 < screws as shown. ( using the right fine screwdriver )
4. Remove the "closed hole plastic plate" by sliding it down. ( easy sliding like the backplate )
5. Flip this plate to see the conductive tape at the back. ( you will notice that there is a small hole for the pin already,
but not at the right place, uhhg manufacture... )
6. Take your favourite rasor / med / bounty knife to cut a fine square of tape away.
You have to clean cut ROUND the "OVAL HOLE" at the right side as shown.
7. Remove the inner tape rest to uncover the hole. Take some breath to spray out rests of conductive tape.
8. Reassemble the unit : slide Plastic Plate back to place, fasten ALL screws, insert the Battery,
slide the Backplate at it's place.

The is no really need to scratch the Battery Backplate for having contact. Sliding the Battery Cover two or
three times with a outstanding golden pin does the same scratchin.

Damn, i am sorry i wanted to upload some pictures but my account is limited at first postings.
Maybe i could upload them later to finish this how to.
mad.gif

After the reminder above on taking off the battery back plate, which I had forgotten about... Taking the back plate off makes it easier to remove the tape around the pin, widen the plastic slot, etc.  
- Removing the anodization off the back plate where the pin will touch is absolutely necessary.  The pin head is rounded and will not remove the anodization off the back cover.  Anodized metal is harder than the original metal, and the anodization layer will not be removed by a rounded pin, under normal usage.  i.e. most people will not take the back cover off very often.  If the bare metal is not exposed, the anodized layer is an insulator.  Check it with an ohmmeter and you will see that it is not conductive.
- The comment about the conductive tape in another post, which the pin would touch at the back, and the front would touch the back plate tab, and that  would ground the back plate...
  - The conductive tape is covered by clear plastic tape on the bottom of the battery plate, on mine, so there is no conductive path from the pin to the conductive tape.  The clear plastic tape insulates the pin from the conductive tape.
  - There is no other ground path available on the back plate, which is why the pin was necessary, to extend a ground connection from the motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back